Driving and Roads

Can't beat the drum solo introduction. And to drag this back on topic, it's only in the car on the motorway that I can play it at adequate volume.

Anyway, at least we all agree that the per mile charge was a daft idea and nobody should win a prize for it.

But with a bit of nepotism, you can bet your life there will be, especially if it's funded by Mr Taxpayer,

And to drag this back on topic, it's only in the car on the motorway that I can play it at adequate volume.
Sounds like the car I had. I needed to turn the volume up LOUD to drown out the whining engine noises, road noise etc. (1L engine at 70mph = lots of noise) Sometimes there wasn't enough power in the radio to actually hear the news over the noise!
Those were the days when you could turn the radio up (on the motorway) and down (in a town or village) without PC Plod moaning that you are not in proper control of your vehicle.:rolleyes:

Probably.
Had to look up hypothewhatsit :oops:
I like the idea. I've always liked the US (or some states at least) system of having a public vote on whether to, eg, add a half cent tax to something in order to pay for an infrastructure or transport improvement. I assume the tax thus raised is hypo'd. That seems to me like democracy.
I don't think we have any kind of tax ring-fencing at all in the UK.

No, but you will have under Corbin. You will be able to "opt out of your taxes being spent on defence". What I asked myself is "What defence, if Corbin becomes PM?" No one will have their taxes spent on defence.

Or North Korean ones. He's going to disarm the police to deal with your choice of terrorism. That should do the trick then (But I bet a fiver he wouldn't object to an armed bodyguard)

Probably.
Although the original reply was to point out that Mrs Taxpayer should pay her tax, I did find a (probable) hypothecated tax - the so-called tampon tax. It may be used for women's interests (at the whim of the Chancellor of the Exchequer, of course).
I like the idea. I've always liked the US (or some states at least) system of having a public vote on whether to, eg, add a half cent tax to something in order to pay for an infrastructure or transport improvement. I...
In theory, if your council tax was to rise by more than 2% (possibly 5% with social care provision), you were supposed to have a local vote to approve it.

No, but you will have under Corbin. You will be able to "opt out of your taxes being spent on defence". What I asked myself is "What defence, if Corbin becomes PM?" No one will have their taxes spent on defence.
Probably none. Certainly no nuclear capability.
Can one opt out of paying for schools if one has no children? I'm not a criminal, so should I pay for prisons? You pay your taxes for "the common good".
... (But I bet a fiver he wouldn't object to an armed bodyguard)
Only if armed with a water pistol. Don't forget, he objects to shoot to kill - so shoot to wet slightly, that should stop the mad man with a machete.

Back