Driving and Roads

The blue car undertook the lorry by driving through the hatched off section, and is clearly in the wrong.
The lorry driver didn't look in front of him before moving off and is clearly in the wrong too (the car was well in front, not just to the side).

There is no hatching on the left. There is hatching on the right where the lorry was. The lorry has allowed a good 8 feet of room on its left hand side. The car has been a little stupid, not in error.

My comments were based on information posted by people who know the particular junction. The hatching is not clearly visible on the wet road, but was just visible on a satellite image posted by someone on Facebook.

Not exactly relevant, but Sheffield used to have a reputation for back to front bus shelters. Anyone who uses one knows that the bus stop sign, where the bus doors open, needs to be nearest to where buses are approaching from. If not, everyone in the queue will be facing away from approaching buses and will not see which one has arrived if it only has its route number and destination on the front.

So, it seems simple, doesn't it? Nobody could possibly get that wrong?:laugh::unsure:

Anyone who uses one knows that the bus stop sign, where the bus doors open, needs to be nearest to where buses are approaching from. If not, everyone in the queue will be facing away from approaching buses
Quite so. My local one (not in S. Yorks.) is like that and it's always irritated me. I don't know how common it is round here 'cos I never pay attention (and hardly ever go on the bus).

Back to front bus shelters. There are some in Notts. Some with the sign at the wrong end, some with the shelter itself the wrong way round.
It's even more confused now with raised kerbs and bus stop signs 2-3m in front of the shelter (hence not back to front). There is one stop where the road design is so bad that the stop is 2-3m in front of shelter, but bus actually has to stop another 5-6m in front of that. (Annotated image doesn't do it justice!)
bussto_3.png

We now have a combination of shelters of the same basic design, all glass, with seats, but some next to the kerb and others the other side of the footpath. In the first type, you sit facing away from the road. In the second, you face the road, but your view is blocked by all the latecomers, who, of course, jump the queue.

I wonder how much those "weekly meetings between seller and purchaser" cost? Ye Gods and little fishes. Weekly meetings about a bloody bus shelter. But don't worry, it's only the taxpayer who are paying. But at least they did have "enormous societal impact". A major success there then. I an staggered that a bus shelter van have "enormous societal impact".:roflmao:

Does it matter which round a modern bus shelter is with the use of smart signs which show you how many minutes until the next bus arrives?

with the use of smart signs which show you how many minutes until the next bus arrives?
One bus "service" in these parts operates some buses with gps locators and some without. The signs (aside: why is everything smart these days?) may show "5 mins" or "due" for gps ones or "11:32". Problem is, if there is no gps locator, and the bus hasn't arrived by 11:32, it suddenly jumps to 12:32. "Oh 5 hit - I've missed it", I might think. But no, the sign can be as useful as that teapot of the chocolate variety, and the bus arrives a minute or so later.

What about the buses with the voice telling you where the next stop is? Very good until they are broken. Travelling down one road the voice chearfully announced "Next stop Exeter". Wtf! I'm in Notts! I don't want to spend the next 8 hours plus on such a diversion (to Exeter and back). Bloody announcer meant Exeter Road.

Here is what I meant. See p2, fig2, and description, except some were on the kerb with the rear entrance away from the roadside.
You should always keep your rear entrance away from the roadside. :D

Nice to see that isn't just the yobs in Notts that graffiti the shelters. They have a habit of smashing the perspex as well.

I an staggered that a bus shelter van have "enormous societal impact".:roflmao:
Well, these days, it has to be gender neutral, it can't offend any ethnic minorities, it has to be accessible to people of different mobility, it probably has to be sourced ethically, be carbon neutral, recyclable,... :rolleyes:

Does it matter which round a modern bus shelter is with the use of smart signs which show you how many minutes until the next bus arrives?
Probably not. It does if they don't have the signs, or if the info is wrong, which it often is.

But no, the sign can be as useful as that teapot of the chocolate variety, and the bus arrives a minute or so later.
The ones round here are mostly worthless. It just reflects what the timetable says rather than where the stupid bus actually is and when it might get to you. Certainly not within a minute - you might as well turn up any time between one bus and another and the chance of catching it is about the same as if you read the timetable and turn up just before the due time.
A bit like the so-called Smart motorway signs (operated by the ever-so-dim Highways Agency) which make you go slow for no reason on a clue road and say "40" when you are stuck in stationary queue.

I usually check the app on my phone, but have had a few ghost buses.

Back