Driving and Roads

The ones round here are mostly worthless.
Where the buses have the gps tracker, the displays round here work reasonably well. The sign of traffic problems is when the display says "5 mins", then 6,7,6,5,6,7,8,7,5,2,due (dropping from 8 to due in a couple of minutes). Clearly a hold up somewhere.

Turn up anytime. Nottingham City Transport tried that - "Turn Up and Go" = we can't be bothered to publish a timetable, and can't keep to it if we did*. Then "Go 2 - every ten minutes or better" = *. They're still at it with timetables and statements like - between 09:30 and 17:00 buses every 5-7 minutes. Or on the side of a bus - "Every 5 minutes - along Central Avenue "- which is about half way on most buses. What it doesn't say is that between the terminus and that point one service is every 15 mins, the others (from different termini) every 30 mins.:rolleyes:

A new idea is buses that can reroute to avoid holdups.

So how the hell is that going to work? I am on the bus and it reroutes to miss my stop? I am waiting for a bus and it rerouted and misses my stop?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...s?shareToken=bf7f44e23fed9881de680f98da9d3c55
Oh for goodness sake. Another smart device/service. I prefer the definition of smart, as indicated by this quote from NCIS:LA - " Henrietta 'Hetty' Lange : I imagine you're still smarting from where the Chief of Police just ripped you a new one. ". Ouch!

Back to the bus. Rerouting already happens. Any time someone inconsiderately parks their car in a tree trunk, the road is closed and a diversion is put in place. Many bus stops are missed. Sometimes the display boards indicate the problem - but often they don't, or there are none.

Ah, but it will be on time even if you miss it.
The current definition of on-time is between 1m early and 5'59" late. (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proportion-of-bus-services-running-on-time (Latest data, below table). So that's a fudge.

Another excuse for NCT to talk out their rear end. Gas powered buses.
They tried those in Bristol some years ago. They abandoned them after a couple of years. Now somebody else's having a go. You do wonder what possesses them sometimes...

That's NCT and Nottingham City Council all over. They try and make out they're the first to do something - when clearly, they are not.
Some of us in Notts pronounce the C in city [when referring to transport or council] as though we are Sean Connery, referring to the quality of service. Now they are using poop in the vehicles, so they really are Nottingham :poop:y Transport!

http://www.nottinghampost.com/10-th...hile-driving/story-30364369-detail/story.html
10 things you probably never realised were motoring offences
By Nottingham Post | Posted: May 31, 2017

By Laura Love

We all know that speeding, using your phone while driving and not wearing a seatbelt are clearly motoring offences.

But did you know you can also fall foul of the law in many other ways - some of which we may commit without even realising.

To help you keep on the right side of the law, take a look at this list of 10 surprising actions that are illegal.

- Overtaking at a pedestrian crossing
This could be dangerous because a vehicle could be concealing a pedestrian already on the crossing

- Flashing your lights to give way
This could technically be considered an offence if an accident resulted from it.

- Sleeping in your car while drunk
Obviously you are not allowed to be in charge of a motor vehicle while inebriated.

But this is not specific and the police can (and have) used this to charge people with a driving offence.

- Using your phone as a sat nav in an unfixed position in your car
Your phone must be fixed to the windscreen or dashboard so it's in your line of vision and you don't have to hold it.

- Letting animals out of the car while broken down on the hard shoulder
The Highway Code has something to say on this one - and it states that animals should be left inside the car.

You're only allowed to let them out in an emergency.

- Parking on the wrong side of the road at night
Rule 248 of the Highway Code states that this is an offence, punishable with a Penalty Charge Notice

- Driving on the pavement unless you're turning into a driveway

You must not park on the pavement unless road signs permit it - the Highway Code says so.

- Using your horn between 11.30pm and 7am in a built-up area
You don't want to wake people up.

- Driving more than 50mph in a van on a single carriageway road
Vans that are not car-derived must not exceed 50mph on single carriageways, 60mph on dual carriageway and 70mph on motorways.

- Parking within 10 meteres of a junction
This could make it hard for people to see clearly when turning in or out.
How do people pass their test if they don't know most of these are offences?
:oops: I didn't know about the phone as sat nav.

How do people pass their test if they don't know most of these are offences?
No idea. Around me, lots of people park well within 10 yards of a junction on residential roads, sometimes making it very difficult to see.

Wasn't the "wrong side of a road at night" allowed with parking lights at some point in the past?

One I can remember from my childhood, but I am sure has been silently dropped, is not parking on a road so as to prevent two cars from passing one another. Has anyone kept a really old copy of the Highway Code?

It is not, in general, an offence to park on the pavement. London is one exception of course.

I didn't know about the phone as sat nav.
Holding anything can be construed as not being in control. People have been prosecuted for eating an apple while driving, though I've never heard of this being applied to smoking.

It's not 10 yards, it's 10 metres. It used to be 45 feet (measured from the centre of the 'crossing' road).
I thought it used to be 15 feet from the actual corner. Maybe this has been updated.

I think parking facing the wrong way being an offence depends on absence of street lighting.

People have been prosecuted for eating an apple while driving
The prosecution was not successful. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to prove the driver was not in control of the vehicle unless an incident resulted, and I would defend my case that was if the police tried it on with me. The problem with phones and the like is not so much taking a hand off the wheel as taking eyes off the road for an extended period.

One I can remember from my childhood, but I am sure has been silently dropped, is not parking on a road so as to prevent two cars from passing one another.
I don't think this has been rescinded, just commonly ignored. The footpath is the right of way of pedestrians.

The number of times cars have flashed at me because they think I should be using lights even though the sun has not set suggests people don't know the lighting up laws:

Sunset to sunrise: sidelights; sunset+30mins to sunrise-30mins: headlamps unless in a street-lighted 30mph zone.

Back