Driving and Roads

You should never use fog lights in rain/snow/spray - it just disperses the light everywhere and you can't see anything.
Agreed. But jeez. Keep up prpr. I'm talking about rear fog lights. Here is the full quote as a reply to you in post #224, from which you took a slice out of context to suit your NOOOOO!:duel:
Presumably you are on about rear fogs? That's when they are supposed to be used. Daylight, (only) in fog or heavy rain/snow/spray

That is one of my pet hates when people flash to thank you for letting them through past parked cars etc, especially at night.
Yes. I try to do the opposite - briefly turn the headlights off and back on. Likewise doing the 'illegal' pull in front of me flash when my lights are already on. It's less ambiguous as a dipped headlight on a car that hits a bump in the road can appear to flash, so I'm always wary of accepting that as any kind of signal on it's own.

I don't like the DRLs on our newer work vans for a very different reason: With the old vans you could keep the aux power socket live by turning on the sidelights. With the new vans there is no sidelight setting so no way of keeping the aux power live while parked up.

My rear fog (singular - soon to be updated to have two!) is in the bumper so no chance of confusion with a brake light and too low to seriously dazzle.

I also extinguish lights to acknowledge.

Does anybody else find modern indicators difficult to see, especially when the headlamps are on?

NOOOOO!
You should never use fog lights in rain/snow/spray - it just disperses the light everywhere and you can't see anything.
But people can see you. Which is the whole point of having them switched on. I can see plenty out of the back, because in the conditions I am referring to, most peeps have their dipped headlights on (except the idiots to which you refer).

But I don't do it at night. That's what I am banging on about. They don't dazzle or whatever during the day.

But people can see you. Which is the whole point of having them switched on.
People can see you anyway, without them. Like I said, they are fog lights, for use in fog, not heavy rain lights for use in heavy rain. It really isn't difficult to comprehend. Perhaps people who use them as such just like to pose and be thought of as super important.
I can see plenty out of the back, because in the conditions I am referring to, most peeps have their dipped headlights on
Lucky you, but seeing out the back really isn't that important compared to seeing out the front. How do you like it if people blast their full beam into your mirrors in such circumstances? I bet you don't like it.
Poor sods behind you can't
Quite.

Are you one of those scary people who drive looking 10 feet ahead. Because that's about the only way that fog lights make any sense.

Nonsense! If you drive at night, they give a far better indication of where the edge of the road is. Try it. Ever heard of peripheral vision? Clearly not. Dipped beams totally fail to illuminate the edge of a country road, nor the kerb.

And I cannot recall any time I have been dazzled by front fog lights, rear fog lights or even brake light repeaters. I can count thousands of times I have been dazzled by dipped headlights, in front and behind, so I can't see what you are all arguing about.

Oh bollox. I give up. (but I'll still be putting my rear foglight on so that people can see me in heavy spray. But only during the day)

Oh bollox. I give up. (but I'll still be putting my rear foglight on so that people can see me in heavy spray. But only during the day)
That is allowed, at night too.

That is allowed, at night too.
Yes, but it dazzles following drivers. Just ask prpr, and I sincerely he doesn't get hit from behind in heavy spray because a following driver doesn't see him because he foolishly won't switch on his rear 'fog' light.

Thanks BH, corrected now. The London attack took my attention away from checking it.

Back