Fox t2 hd signal breaking up

Mancav

The hd picture pixelates and breaks up along with sound, then says no signal. Switch to sd channel, leave for say 15 minutes, then go to hd channel and it’s fine again for a while. Does this live or recording, previous recordings are fine.
obviously seems like something is getting too hot then breaking down. Any ideas please.

The hd picture pixelates and breaks up along with sound, then says no signal. Switch to sd channel, leave for say 15 minutes, then go to hd channel and it’s fine again for a while. Does this live or recording, previous recordings are fine.
Please tell us what the signal strength and quality readings are as reported by the Humax when watching a live HD channel (Menu button>Settings>Signal detection)?
Also when in the Signal detection screen press the right arrow (To the right of the OK button) and tell us the list of channel numbers?

obviously seems like something is getting too hot then breaking down. Any ideas please.
HiDef requires more disk activity etc, so this could be one of several things.

If you want to give your unit a spring clean, and maybe see whether the fan is actually working, see Commissioning, Disassembling, and Repairing an HDR-FOX (click).

The custom firmware has a facility called fan, which aims to stop the unit fluctuating between cool and too hot: see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) - skip to post 3 for an overview of optional fits.

I think Martin is thinking you might have an intermittent degradation of signal, which can be caused by interference from the HDMI lead, so investigate that as well.

Last edited:
Strength 68% quality fluctuates between 20% and 50%. This is when breaking up. Normally 100% strength and 75% quality. Channel 35

Never noticed this before.
whilst still in the settings menu the readings have gone to
strength 69% quality 100%, obviously got these the wrong way round in earlier post. So without switching to sd or doing anything else the picture has gone back to normal. I usually just switch over when it goes wrong

HiDef requires more disk activity etc, so this could be one of several things.

If you want to give your unit a spring clean, and maybe see whether the fan is actually working, see Commissioning, Disassembling, and Repairing an HDR-FOX (click).

The custom firmware has a facility called fan, which aims to stop the unit fluctuating between cool and too hot: see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) - skip to post 3 for an overview of optional fits.

I think Martin is thinking you might have an intermittent degradation of signal, which can be caused by interference from the HDMI lead, so investigate that as well.
You might also consider installing CF to run a disk check: Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click).

Do you get the same problems with signal break up on BBC News HD (or Quest HD, RT HD etc)? What are the signal strength/quality like on UHF channel 55?

I usually just switch over when it goes wrong
How can you monitor the situation if you immediately intervene? The improvement after switching to StDef might be just coincidence.

Do a Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection on the offending mux and monitor the quality figure for a period of time (it should be solid 100%).

strength 69% quality 100%, obviously got these the wrong way round in earlier post. So without switching to sd or doing anything else the picture has gone back to normal. I usually just switch over when it goes wrong
The signal strength is fine; obviously the wildly fluctuating quality isn't. Can you check that the cable from the aerial socket is not kinked and the connectors are firmly attached to the cable. Also the aerial cable should be well separated from the HDMI lead. Do you know if there is any form of amplification in the aerial cabling (eg a masthead amplifier or a signal booster)?

Do you get the same problems with signal break up on BBC News HD (or Quest HD, RT HD etc)? What are the signal strength/quality like on UHF channel 55?
I don’t use those channels much. At the moment channel 55 is strength 55% quality 100%

How can you monitor the situation if you immediately intervene? The improvement after switching to StDef might be just coincidence.

Do a Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection on the offending mux and monitor the quality figure for a period of time (it should be solid 100%).
I’ve not been monitoring the situation until today, just been living with it. Only really started to look into it today

The signal strength is fine; obviously the wildly fluctuating quality isn't. Can you check that the cable from the aerial socket is not kinked and the connectors are firmly attached to the cable. Also the aerial cable should be well separated from the HDMI lead. Do you know if there is any form of amplification in the aerial cabling (eg a masthead amplifier or a signal booster)?
Aerial cable not kinked. Connectors fine. Cables not well separated as they go into the same connector plate on tv, and through same hole into cabinet. In saying that they have been this way for nearly 3 years since I got this tv.

For Winter Hill 21 is the local L-LIV
Didn't find that one on my travels! Guessed from the OP's name (and the number of multiplexes) the transmitter could be local to Manchester, picked a postcode and the coverage checker did not give me L-LIV. Good spot! :thumbsup:

Back