[foxlink] Simple way to link a HD to a HDR.

I am minded to try out foxlink on my "new" slave HD-FOXs, but my existing HDR/HD combo is running nicely on SMB rather than NFS. Should I:
  1. Ignore foxlink and use network-shares-automount on the new HDs to set up Samba shares;
  2. Add NFS support on the HDR and have a mixture of Samba and NFS mounts;
  3. Ditch Samba and move the existing HD to foxlink.
I am minded to pursue 2 for the hell of it, but concerned about interactions or performance issues. I don't fancy 3 because of the golden edict "don't fix what ain't broke", although 2 might break it.

Maybe I'll go 2 for now and then switch the original to NFS when proven. However, as my computing is Windows based there will remain a need for SMB.

Well, I have installed foxlink at both ends and so far got exactly the square root of zilch. Reading through the topic I am reminded the HDR's external drives will not be accessible by NFS, so once I have cracked this problem I will be heading for SMB anyway.

I have noticed the foxlink settings do not appear to stick (when refreshed the WebIF settings page returns to the default blank in the IP address and "HDR" in the local directory name field. Is this correct?

Well, I have installed foxlink at both ends and so far got exactly the square root of zilch. Reading through the topic I am reminded the HDR's external drives will not be accessible by NFS, so once I have cracked this problem I will be heading for SMB anyway.

I have noticed the foxlink settings do not appear to stick (when refreshed the WebIF settings page returns to the default blank in the IP address and "HDR" in the local directory name field. Is this correct?

Hi

Just checking - I am getting the same - After a Standby cycle the HD forgets the Foxlinked HDR and I have to re-input IP address and Update using the HD WebIF each time.

Is this correct ?

Otherwise brilliant to have Subs on the linked programs as opposed to via DLNA. Super

Cheers
Pete

It shouldn't forget. Once I got it going it was fine, but I have abandoned it now.

As an aside, foxlink is a quick and easy way to link a HD-FOX to an HDR-FOX, but I would not recommend it for linking HDR-FOXes because my experience is that NFS (at the client end) corrupts the Humax drive space calculations while SMB doesn't.

(To set up SMB, or anything requiring a more complex networking configuration than one or more HD-FOXes accessing a HDR-FOX, see the network-shares-automount topic - read post 1 then skip to post 244 on page 13.)

It can take up to a minute once the HDR is online - I could improve that.

It can take up to a minute once the HDR is online - I could improve that.

I was just being a bit impatient (as always !)

;)

I am sure there are more important things to spend your precious time on. Maybe put it in the notes/wiki somewhere that there can be a delay so be a bit patient . . .

Loving your work (inc. all who strive)

Cheers
Pete

I recently added foxlink to my 2 HD's (1 wired, 1 wireless) and HDR , The HD's now behave as if you're playing back the recording on the HDR. It's great that if you stop on one box, you can resume on another.

Great work and thanks to whoever produced this, af123 I assume from earlier posts.

This is a great package that's made things a lot simpler for me as I have an HDR-Fox T2 and two HD-Fox T2s.

I use undelete on the HDR which works brilliantly on there. Should programmes deleted on the HD via foxlink also go into the [Deleted Items] folder on the HDR?

It doesn't do that. The HD-FOX is using the HDR's disk as if it were its own, so if anything undelete would have to be installed on the HD. If I remember correctly there has been some suggestion that it might be made to work on external drives too - but whether that has gone anywhere is another matter.

As far as I can tell, it should work on the HD too. I presume I tested it at the time!

Thanks. I only have a 4GB USB stick on each of the HDs so there'd be no space for undelete to move the files to if installed.

I'll just have to get into the routine of undeleting on the HDR. At least using foxlink means that I can see which programmes have been watched, which is great.

Hi, Will Foxlink work HDR to HDR ? Ive searched the forums but cant seem to find a conclusive answer. I have two T2 HDRs and want to do the same thing. Thanks:(

It does work for me. I have 2 HDRs with foxlink installed that access the content of a 3rd HDR. I found it will not work both ways i.e. Foxlink on two machines sharing content both ways. This caused problems with the boxes freezing. Fortunately this isn't a setup I needed. I believe you could use Network Shares Automount to create a Samba share the other way if you needed to.

Foxlink is a simple utility for creating a link from one machine to another. The difficulty with serving from an HDR-FOX to another HDR-FOX is telling Foxlink which end is which (it expects to be a server if it's being run on an HDR-FOX instead of a HD-FOX, although this might have been solved). For more sophisticated setups use network-shares-automount on each "client" with either Samba or NFS on each "server". For more info see the network-shares-automount topic.

Of course, there is no need of custom firmware at all if you just use DLNA.

Back