Foxy - An HD recording backup utility for the HDR-Fox T2 now released !

You seem to be rather confused between FoxSat-HDR and HDR Fox T2.
One's a satellite box and the other's a terrestrial Freeview box.

Back on topic, I think. Windows 10 PC / Foxsat-HDR (1Tb). Custom firmware installed (4.1.3) and working. FTP access fine. But Foxy says every HMT file is invalid - "Not a valid T2 HMT file!", AV2HDR opens / edits the HMT files OK. .NET FrameWork 3.5 in and enabled.

Q - what am I doing wrong for Foxy not to recognise the HMT files?
The Foxy mechanism is not designed for FOXSAT, and cannot work. StDef recordings are not encrypted on disk, but HiDef recordings are and there is no means of post-recording decryption available.

The method for FOXSAT is to prevent encryption being applied in the first place using "nowster's patch", which can be installed as a custom firmware package.

This is not the FOXSAT section of the hummy.tv forum - here is a relevant post (in the FOXSAT section):

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxsat-hdr-streaming-hd.4214/#post-52044

The patch will not decrypt existing content. You can only ensure new content is not encrypted in the first place.

Note also that the FOXSAT custom firmware is mainly supported on the AVForums forum, see here:

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/useful-links-for-the-foxsat-hdr-customised-firmware.3330/

Last edited:
Well, right enough, that would explain it. :)

Thank you to your good self and other replies, I'll hop on over.

The Foxy mechanism is not designed for FOXSAT, and cannot work. StDef recordings are not encrypted on disk, but HiDef recordings are and there is no means of post-recording decryption available.

The method for FOXSAT is to prevent encryption being applied in the first place using "nowster's patch", which can be installed as a custom firmware package.

Want to play HD video from the HDR-Fox-T2 on your PC ?
Well now you can, with Foxy, the first utility to enable in the clear HiDef backups from the HDR-Fox-T2.

View attachment 1488

Firstly can I state quite categorically that Foxy does not decrypt HD video from the T2.
However, what it does do is enable the T2 to do this for you.
It does this by modifying the recordings hmt file, so that the HD recording is treated in the exactly the same way as an SD recording, when copied to a USB drive.
Foxy does not require any changes to be made to your T2 firmware.
Operation is as simple as dragging and dropping the hmt file into Foxy's window and it's done in a flash.
Literally, it only takes a fraction of a second and Foxy will then flash its window to denote success.

There are two methods for using Foxy, depending on whether you have your T2 connected to a network.

With a network connection

(a) Using FTP, copy the hmt file from the HD recording onto your PC.
(b) Start Foxy then drag and drop the hmt file into Foxy's window. Alternatively, you can browse for it.
Foxy's window will then flash to denote success.
(c) Copy the hmt file back to the T2, overwriting the original.
(d) On the T2, open Media, and browse to your HD video. (note that the 'Enc' icon is no longer displayed).
(e) Copy the HD video to USB. The resulting copy will be in the clear.
You can then copy it back to the T2 and it will remain in the clear, same as an SD recording.

Without a nework connection

(a) On the T2, open Media, browse to your HD video, and copy it to your USB drive.
(b) Connect the USB drive to your PC then follow step (b) as above.
(c) Connect the USB drive to the T2, browse to the USB drive using Media browser, then copy the recording back to the T2.
You can overwite the original or copy it to a different location.
The recording on the T2 will now be in the clear.
(d) Finally you need to do one last copy from the T2 back to USB.

As you can see, the decryption works in both directions so if you have earlier backups of encrypted HD recordings you can process the hmt file in the same way, before copying the recording back to the T2.

Foxy is a .NET application and a prerequisite is that Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 runtimes are installed.
These are available as a download for Windows XP and are an integral part of Windows 7
I have tested it on Windows XP SP3,Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
I have also successfully ran it under mono on Mac OSX Snow Leopard, and Debian Linux.

You can get your copy of Foxy by downloading the zip archive attached below.

enjoy !

raydon

Note: For those pioneers who are using af123's custom firmware for the T2.
I have passed the relevant information on to him, and I'm confident he can very quickly implement this function 'on the box'

Hi,
I have used foxy in the past to transfer .hmt files with great success, however I am now running Windows 10 and 1) I don't seem to be able to "talk" to the Humax from my PC and 2) I can download the .ts files from the Humax by entering *.ts as the file type in foxy. I used to be able to "see" all the files on the Humax, from the PC prior to Windows 10 but not now. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Regards,
Hamish

Yes. Windows 10 is a pain. Go back to something sensible, or use Linux.

But why carry on with Foxy when we have so many much better ways?

I used to be able to "see" all the files on the Humax, from the PC prior to Windows 10 but not now
Try show hidden files i.e. :-
  • Right-click the “Start” button, then select “Control Panel“.
  • Go to “Appearance and Personalization“, then select “File Explorer Options“.
  • Click the “View” tab.
  • Scroll down a bit and change the “Hidden files and folders” setting to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives

Try show hidden files i.e. :-
  • Right-click the “Start” button, then select “Control Panel“.
  • Go to “Appearance and Personalization“, then select “File Explorer Options“.
  • Click the “View” tab.
I don't think those instructions are correct for current Windows 10 versions. I suggest just open Windows Explorer, select the View tab , then Options (at the far right) which will open up Folder Options; select the View tab in Folder Options and untick "Hide extensions for known file types" and then (if you always want file extensions shown) click the "Apply to Folders Button".

Hi there. Is there the ability to do this on recordings from a HDR2000T on a mac? (I don't think so but you never know, so I ask). If not could this be done easily using a raspberry pi, (by somebody who's not very computer literate and hasn't used a raspberry pi previously)? Otherwise, what would be a best solution, buying a 2nd hand PC laptop? any particular specs necessary (I do still have a very, very old PC with I think Windows XP on it but I doubt it would even turn on any more, if it did would it be of any use for this)? Many thanks.

You have two issues here: 2000T and a Mac rather than a HDR-FOX and a Windows computer.

The Foxy process (switching a flag in one of the recording sidecar files) will work with 2000T, but the utility runs on Windows. Please see the relevant topics in the 2000T section of the forum for instructions relevant to your recorder (I see you are already active there). This in particular: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/downloading-decrypted-recordings-to-pc-including-hidef.5379/

However, you still need to run Foxy (or an equivalent). All it does is toggle a binary bit in a file, which could be done manually with a hex editor in practically any operating system (and maybe scripted to automate it).

Back