Foxy - An HD recording backup utility for the HDR-Fox T2 now released !

[link removed] - assuming you trust me more than 4 Shared :)

Edit: I've removed the link now as I don't want to unduly mess up Raydon's download counters on 4Shared.

[link removed] - assuming you trust me more than 4 Shared :)

Edit: I've removed the link now as I don't want to unduly mess up Raydon's download counters on 4Shared.

What good is that if there is malware on the 4Shared site? I was hoping to point poeple at your link in my blog. Can Raydon put it somewhere else?

What good is that if there is malware on the 4Shared site? I was hoping to point poeple at your link in my blog. Can Raydon put it somewhere else?

Like Raydon I have software on Four Shared .One file has a current download count of 2245. Not a single complaint of this has ever been posted :(

I don't mind hosting the Foxy zip if Raydon agrees, but I think you are the only person who has had a problem with 4Shared. *waits for the flood of people correcting him*

I can assure Black Hole that there is no malware on 4shared.com. It is a bona fide free file hosting site with nothing more dangerous than a few adverts, and I have no intention of changing it. Current download count for Foxy stands at 643 and strangely you are the only one who has this problem. I rather suspect it's a case of your antivirus software being paranoid. Can I ask exactly which application flags up 4shared as having malware content ?

It is not flagged by antivirus. I can't remember exactly which Humax thing I was trying to download, but it opened a new window and this happens.
Caution! Your computer contains a variety of suspicious programs.Your System requires immediate checking! The system will perform a fast and free check your PC for malicious programs.
Will report back when/if it happens again.

I get this too occasionaly. The site is redirected for me rather than a popup.
Its just done it while i'm trying to download the 1.08 f/w.
Its not the first time ive seen it with this site either. As a workaround I have to force internet explorer to go back to escape the clutches of the evil malware page. Its usually one of those dodgy "Your PC is infected" sites that tries to block the closing of the page with a message box.
Maybe its an IE only vulnerability?

Can I ask exactly which application flags up 4shared as having malware content ?
I don't run anything to flag it up - the message box I quoted is popped up as an IE service, so it has come in from outside. It's a typical scam - scare the s**t out of the average joe into granting it permission to run, then (typically) it encrypts your drive and charges a ransom to unencrypt it. Or not unencrypt it, doesn't matter once they have your credit card details.

I don't know how it popped up, I don't have the skills/time to diagnose the IP traffic, but I do know that it happened when I followed the link to 4Shared. I'm running IE8 and I have Avast protecting my system (but the message was not from Avast).

The obvious conclusion without further research would be that either the 4Shared site has been hacked, or there is a rogue advert (which only comes up some of the time - except it got me both times I tried it).

Until we have conclusive evidence that 4Shared is not the source of the problem, bearing in mind that I DO NOT seem to be the only one, I think it is reasonable to treat it with caution.

Foxy may work now but what happens when Humax release future software updates? I understand that PVR manufacturers are obliged to implement some sort of protection for HD broadcasts, although I don't know which authority. Won't Humax be forced to fix this "problem" even if they don't want to?

It is theoretically possible that they could release an update which prevents installation of older updates, but at the moment even if they did patch out our work-arounds we could just switch back to an older firmware version.

It has been suggested that Humax has reached the end of the road now they have incorporated all the functionality they promised, and I very much agree with that as it is pouring resources into a zero-profit exercise. I'm grateful they have gone as far as they have (although the previous version plus the mod project would have been enough at a pinch).

It can be said that Humax have implemented protection for HiDef, and the majority of purchasers will never know any different.

Back