Foxy - An HD recording backup utility for the HDR-Fox T2 now released !

I think part of your problem is that broadcasters switch audio codecs depending on program content, so your recording may contain mpeg audio in the preamble then switch to aac (stereo or 5.1) then back to mpeg afterwards. As a start you could use an AV editor to strip off the unwanted bits at the beginning and end. At least you would then have a transport stream that's consistent throughout.

Thanks guys, i couldn't find an editor that would read the file to let me chop the first few minutes off, but MPlayerX with the audio set to Stereo could play it. Even better I tried it in plex (which is what the kids use anyway) and it also plays it. Thanks raydon and sooty83 for your help !

I don't seem to have .hmt files on my USB stick after copying my recording over.

To explain: I have a non-networked HDR Fox T2. I have been trying to use the USB stick method to export a couple of HD recordings using Foxy. I have had some success this way in the past, but today, every time I copied the recording onto the USB stick, there wouldn't be a .hmt file there.

I'm doing it via the OPT+ button. There are two recordings I've been trying, one over 4gb and one under. The USB stick has been formatted in both FAT32 and EXT3. The .ts file always copies across, along with two other little files (.hmi and one other I can't remember), but no .hmt file.

What am I doing wrong?

The recorded file set comprises .ts, .hmt, .nts, and (when available) .thm (the thumbnail image). A .hmi is created if there is no .hmt present, but this is definitely a fault condition unless you have copied a bare .ts onto the Humax yourself.

Without a .hmt, a .ts would be unplayable unless it was already decrypted. You could find out more if you network the Humax (even if only temporarily) and inspect the disk contents in detail by FTP.

Well that's very odd because the recordings play fine on the HDD, it just doesn't transfer the .hmt file onto the USB stick. I do have a .hmi file (I think).

I'll try some more tests and see what's going on. Might it be the USB stick that's the issue? I'm using the front USB port and it's just a little 8gb stick.

The .hmi has been created because there is no .hmt (to store playback resume point etc). The .ts cannot be decrypted without the .hmt, therefore the .ts has at some point in the past already been decrypted and you must have (at some point) transferred the .ts divorced from the .hmt. If you copy the .ts I expect you to find it plays on a PC (Splash Player Lite will play HiDef, as will the latest release of VLC).

From your posts I presume you are aware that FAT32 will not support files larger than 4GB. Ext2 is more suitable for UPDs than Ext3 (and is compatible with the Humax).

chippy wolf said:
I'm doing it via the OPT+ button.
My limited experience says that the down load option (which is what I assume was used for the copy) only gets a .ts file (which is automatically decrypted?), no .hmt (so tats why I cannot control the replay!)

We're talking handset OPT+ copy to USB on a non-mod HDR-FOX (hence the need for Foxy), not WebIF OPT+ download.

Thanks for the advice and education. I've tried again this morning on a reformatted USB stick to ext2 this time. The recording copies over but I only have .nts, .thm and .ts files. No .hmi or .hmt files.

My only other thought is that I did move the files internally on the HDD (one folder to another) before I decided to try and migrate them off. Would that have destroyed the .hmt? Both files still play perfectly normally on the HDD and also both show as encrypted.

How do you know they are shown as encrypted? If you mean the "Enc" icon, that is actually interpreted as "protected from decryption" and its absence means the file will be decrypted when copied to USB (it is the Enc flag that gets cleared by Foxy, the absence of the Enc flag does not mean the file is already decrypted). If there is no .hmt file at all, the Humax will not know the file is encrypted, protected, or anything else. What do you get if you press the "i" button with one of these files selected? Do you get a synopsis? If so there must be a .hmt somewhere.

Please have a go at FTP. See the Trail Guide (click). FTP will allow you to see what's really on the disk, and makes Foxy a lot easier because you can copy across just the .hmt file to be Foxy'ed and then put back.

Thank you for the advice - I've solved the immediate problem, but the mystery remains!

I FTP'd in (cables all across the living room floor!) and there were the two .hmt files sitting on the HDD. I used Foxy and the files no longer show as "Enc". I should be able to export the files and back them up now.

Quite why the .hmt files wouldn't copy onto the USB stick is still unknown though. There were there all along, but not copying across. With my room setup, networking the humax isn't a regular option, so understanding what I did wrong would be helpful. Any ideas?

No, none. The only ideas I have relate to the 4GB limit of FAT32. Just a glitch I guess.

If you have a WiFi network, the Humax can be added using a USB dongle for less than a tenner. I personally use HomePlug for my fixed devices and WiFi for mobile/portable. You can also buy a cheap adapter which creates a separate WiFi network to connect to the Humax from a WiFi device, see HERE (click) and HERE (click).

Even if you don't go any of those routes, I can't help thinking you will find it much easier if you keep a cable plugged into the Humax and coiled up ready to run out to the PC/notebook when you want to Foxy some .hmt's.

I registered specially because I have the same problem as chippywolf. I haven't tried ftp yet, but I expect it will work.

Transferring the file to a USB formatted as ext3 or FAT32 produces no hmt or hmi files.

Is it possible Humax have removed this feature? - I am running the latest official firmware.

Here is a screenshot of my copy on my USB stick (formatted too ext3) I use Diskinternals Linux Reader to view the files.

Attachments

• 5KR8jzT.png
    5KR8jzT.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 15
This can happen when the amount of free space on the USB drive is less than twice the size of the TS file you are trying to copy. The Humax verifies that there is sufficient free disk space before starting the copy operation. It also checks before each file is copied, but it doesn't seem to update the space requirement to take into account of the files that have been copied. Even though the HMT file is typically only a few KB big, the Humax will not copy it unless there is enough space for the TS file again (the HMT file is always the last one to be copied)! This bug has always been there even since I bought the Humax 1.5 years ago.

I have downloaded FOXY.ZIP which, as far as I can see on here, should be a windoze program?? However the version i have downloaded seem to be anything but windoze. I dont know what it is, its does not look like anyhing I have see before.

<----------------------------------------------->

22/07/2013 01:29 <DIR> .
22/07/2013 01:29 <DIR> ..
17/01/2009 19:02 42,083 Foxy-common1.cns
15/01/2009 20:44 768 Foxy.act
17/01/2009 18:05 73,975 Foxy.air
10/12/2009 16:03 23,367 Foxy.cmd
10/12/2009 15:43 114,449 Foxy.cns
16/01/2009 08:25 817 Foxy.def
16/01/2009 08:14 4,148,902 Foxy.sff
16/01/2009 02:05 6,545,280 Foxy.snd
16/01/2009 08:24 768 Foxy2.ACT
10/12/2009 15:41 40,311 Foxy2.cns
16/01/2009 02:13 11,139 helper.cns
22/07/2013 01:29 0 res.txt
10/12/2009 16:00 1,922 ¬–ì‚ ‚-‚Ý‚Ý‹L‰¯.txt
13 File(s) 11,003,781 bytes
2 Dir(s) 61,807,091,712 bytes free
<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
sorry if there is a simple answer to this, having a senior day !! :)
regards, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area
Mike

According to Raydon (see subsequent posts), this is not the correct file. Please refer to post 1 in this topic and take it from there:

http://hummy.tv/forum/goto/post?id=2746#post-2746

Originally posted:

To quote post 1 in this topic:
Foxy is a .NET application and a prerequisite is that Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 runtimes are installed.

The .cmd does the business of installing the other files into the .NET framework.

To quote post 1 in this topic:

The .cmd does the business of installing the other files into the .NET framework.
Where did you dream that one up from BH ! :D
There's no .cmd in my zip file, it only contains two files, Foxy.exe and ReadMe.txt.
Don't know where Mike got his zip file from but it's certainly not mine. The link in post #1 of this thread is still valid and should be downloaded from there.
As to Microsoft .NET Framework, this is an installable add-on in Windows XP and comes pre-installed in Windows 7.

I checked about .NET installations and found that (according to what I read) a .cmd file can be used as an installer. Sorry I got it wrong.

In which case where did that .zip come from?

Back