FVP5000T Can't access itv, all4, ch5 catchup

1moretime

I have had problems for months with no ch5 catchup service via FVP5000T, but is OK on other dicices in the home.
Also weeks now with sluggish, effectively unusable itvHub and All4 service on screen navigation, but OK on other devices.
Many other FVP5000T users reporting the same since start of the year MyHumax.org, but nothing is being fixed.
Being able to connect to Freeview+ online catchup services was one of the reasons I updated to FVP5000T, as important as number of tuners for concurrent recordings. Now I am feeling I was sold a pup.

I,ve done the same, it,s a shame as I really like this recorder and have been a Humax user from a 9150 to my last box which was a HDR1000. I hope they can get it sorted, I even tried a Manhattan TR-3 pvr but that went back as it was so glichey, eg not responding to the remote and sometimes not recording at all and I didn,t find their customer service as helpful as some have said.

I haven't been able to access ITV hub and figured it was ITV. I feel like Humax have no further plans. Didn't seem to be any further support for the 4000/5000 and no news of a new box. I've been looking for a replacement but nothing much out there and certainly nothing with 3 tuners.

Morning all,

So having just upgraded to the FVP-5000T from a HDR Fox T2 with Custom Firmware, initially thought yes it looks like all the comments about sluggishness are true, but after working through some tests my results are:

1. Change DHCP to manual and set DNS outside your own router ie google 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 this seem to give me better improvement in speed (Note this is ethernet connected to Virgin dn 380mbps / up 33mbps).
2. General TV guide and navigation around menus not bad no noticeable issues.
3. Netflix response not bad and quick it seems to be all the other apps BBC1But more ITV, Ch4, Ch5 seem to be causing box lockup’s blank screens, unresponsive remotes etc.
4. I like you can watch remotely although just noticed recently that can’t seem to stream to pc or download it onto pc to play, this is SD files only. Don’t know if a box reboot is in order ....
5. Plays files off my NAS with ease.

Overall coming from the T2 it does most of what I want except pulling HD info it’s a shame Humax didn’t look at the T2 custom builds for ideas. Now that most people probably watch tv differently ie, catchup services, remotely from home and have the latest smart tv‘s, the normal tape and watch later the box mainly serves a smaller niche tap’ing various misc items.

I am hoping in the future maybe a custom firmware is doable as I liked the system monitoring functions and various tools ... but something is seriously wrong with the catchup apps there is a bug somewhere ....

Jim

Overall, an excellent appraisal except for one thing:
Now that most people probably watch tv differently ie, catchup services, remotely from home and have the latest smart tv‘s, the normal tape and watch later the box mainly serves a smaller niche tap’ing various misc items.
"Most people", or "most people just like you"? Sorry, but you can't make sweeping generalisations like that without substantiation. Yes, I have no doubt many of the younger generation are wedded to their mobile/Internet-connected devices and do not have the attention span to view traditional TV in the traditional linear way, but there remains a very large user base in the older generation who just want to time-shift normal broadcast TV with the minimum fuss and complication.

Then there are the likes of me who struggle with 3Mbps broadband and really can't face hours of downloading before watching a programme or the "buffering" interruptions trying to watch it live. Broadcast TV is free, fibre to the premises is not.

I was just going to say something along those lines about 'most people', I suspect that 'most people' (that is more than 50% of the viewers) actually watch Freeview/Freesat/Sky 'linear' TV most (more than 50%) of the time.

Although I have a couple of smart TVs, I find using the likes of iPlayer and the various 'hubs' and Amazon a real pain in tghe but and rather a harrowing experience trying to find what I want with all those bloody great tiles that are obviously designed for those with minimal reading skills clogging up the screen. If you scroll down half a mile you can find an almost 'proper' epg. (for that channel only), and that's all after you have waited several 10s of seconds for your chosen player to present itself. Bloody awful!

And that excludes the lo res quality of the stuff on most providers. I suppose it's OK on a phone, but bloody awful on a half decent 37+TV screen.

Last edited:
Black Hole,

Sorry I can make what statements I like based on my observations, the comments were there to hopefully aid others in the negative reviews of the box which yes has some issues but I feel are outweighed by some of the positives.
Regards your broadband this I know from experience moving around with the forces and having worse figures than you describe will impact your box from an applications and catchup tv view, but being IT this will impact any other connected devices in your location not just the Humax. In general TV record and play functionality and rewind live tv up to an hour shouldn’t be affected, normal tv should not be buffering! It is a received signal from the aerial...

Jim

I was just going to say something along those lines about 'most people', I suspect that 'most people' (that is more than 50% of the viewers) actually watch Freeview/Freesat/Sky 'linear' TV most (more than 50%) of the time.

Although I have a couple of smart TVs, I find using the likes of iPlayer and the various 'hubs' and Amazon a real pain in tghe but and rather a harrowing experience trying to find what I want with all those bloody great tiles that are obviously designed for those with minimal reading skills clogging up the screen. If you scroll down half a mile you can find an almost 'proper' epg. (for that channel only), and that's all after you have waited several 10s of seconds for your chosen player to present itself. Bloody awful!

And that excludes the lo res quality of the stuff on most providers. I suppose it's OK on a phone, but bloody awful on a half decent 37+TV screen.

Again,

As a means of attracting conversation regards the title of ‘Cant access...’ and as there seems to be little core info on these boxes was looking to see others problems. Regards the plethora of players and device manufactures and how they implement the players this is well varied and I agree poor. I don’t know your background but you might have a big tv , what brand, what spec/model etc.... what’s its output specs, again some non prime channels are bandwidth limited and will look crap on any tv, again I’m generalising shoot me people will buy on price and deal ... of note I bought a 55”Samsung F8000 new in 2013 for £3500 the apps on this are lighting quick its quad core based decent specc’ed device and easily outperforms the newer 42” LG Models I own today. Again what APU based processor is running inside these boxes and are Humax actively developing code to integrate the app with the APU or even the core kernel ....
And for ‘minimal reading skills’, theres probably a lot more people out there with a higher education than me or you that like a good binge watch of some dross from time to time. Many devices also have search functions and even voice commands, agree these differ greatly from manufacturer and it will either be love hate relationships.

Jim

I just tried the ITV Hub on a 5000T (not really advisable for me as I'm using mobile broadband with a lowish speed). Once I'd worked out how to sign up and pair a device I didn't seem to have a problem with it loading or finding and streaming a programme. I did have some buffering problems, but I put that down to the mobile broadband.

Added: Could set up and view the ads in All4, but programmes did not play. My5 something is downloading but nothing appears on screen. Can't test further as it is using all my data allowance up!

Last edited:
Sorry I can make what statements I like based on my observations
Yes you can. It doesn't mean they are right or you won't get criticised for them, for being misleading, or being arrogant. "Most" most definitely means "more than 50% of the catchment you implied", and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you have no evidence to support the claim of "most", if you don't want to be criticised around here you should use the less-precise "many".

My gut feeling is that you assume most people must be just like you, but your sample is a self-selected set.

Black Hole , what a load of shit .... you clearly read one word and focused on it, I believe I said ‘Now that most people PROBABLY ...’ hows that a sweeping statement, this is based on myself and others I know on the whole. My gut feeling of most people is based on a Self-selected set.
This wasn’t the main focus point of the whole writeup, clearly I didnt realise this none accredited forum required university degree thesis behind any comments made.

My visit to these forums like others is to further understanding of the product.. If you spent less time criticising a word in a paragraph and utilised your experience in helping members might make more enjoyable for new members...

Thanks EEPhil a comment at last that bores out assistance to the question asked....

Jim

I've just scrapped my 4000 and bought a new 5000 and going to take that opportunity to complain about the lack of catch up services as advertised as features on the box. Might make them feel obligated to sort it out (just update the apps) although I'm guessing I'll just get the stock answer to reset my box like it only applies to me

If you spent less time criticising a word in a paragraph and utilised your experience in helping members might make more enjoyable for new members...

Thanks EEPhil a comment at last that bores out assistance to the question asked....

Jim

Oops! ( to the first sentence) and Phil boring? Never! :)

Humax are not the only offenders, my Panny TV lost all catch ups bar i-player within a year of purchase. Similarly Sony with their DVD players.

‘Now that most people PROBABLY ...’ hows that a sweeping statement, this is based on myself and others I know on the whole. My gut feeling of most people is based on a Self-selected set.
It's as sweeping a statement as "Most people probably watch linear TV." Which is only based on my personal observation of my family and friends. Quite a small subset and not very representative sample of the population methinks.

This wasn’t the main focus point of the whole writeup, clearly I didnt realise this none accredited forum required university degree thesis behind any comments made.
Absolutely don't, but we pride ourselves her on trying to give accurate and factual information.

It's as sweeping a statement as "Most people probably watch linear TV." Which is only based on my personal observation of my family and friends. Quite a small subset and not very representative sample of the population methinks.

Absolutely don't, but we pride ourselves her on trying to give accurate and factual information.
Sorry both you and Black hole in all your comments have given nothing worthwhile to the content or this thread apart from see fit to abuse a new member... and regards a subset my arse as an IT consultant and dealing with a wide cross section of society in my line of work your mindset is archaic you are dinosaurs and if you don’t acknowledge the fact that a large proportion of people will watch demand/streaming/ catchup services over traditional terrestrial services as a hole and you inability to acknowledge this just shows your ignorance in how people are watching content.
Again this is born out in Black Holes comments of terrestrial TV is free but claims fibre isn’t, yet seems to thirst for catchup/streamed services of which a prerequisite would be a decent connected serice...

Jim

Agree with you Dangermouse, I found your observations this morning informative, the trouble with these forums you do get the odd poster hellbent with sarcastic remarks and think they know more than everyone else. Take Trev on another forum was called a certain rag which I dont condone the language it wouldn,t have happened if posters would just try and help instead of the you talk a load of rubbish attitude.

I just tried the ITV Hub on a 5000T (not really advisable for me as I'm using mobile broadband with a lowish speed). Once I'd worked out how to sign up and pair a device I didn't seem to have a problem with it loading or finding and streaming a programme.
I have just tested ITV Hub again; it was very sluggish initially (the lag was so bad that it was difficult to select a programme to play) but after playing part of one programme and stopping it subsequently behaved reasonably well and other programmes could be selected and played.
Added: Could set up and view the ads in All4, but programmes did not play.
Tried All4 but it failed to load and after a very long delay showing the All4 logo it produced an error message saying something had gone wrong.

Back