Green screen

Anyone downgrading to a revision prior to the current broadcast update needs to bear in mind that the downgrade could get updated at any time unless they take preventative measures. See the link in Things Every... (click) section 1.

I've got a little problem with my Hummy and hope somebody can help. I'm currently getting a green screen on my box. It's happened before, but a reboot normally sorted it. Not now though. If I reboot now, I get the normal Humax loading screen, thgen about 1 or 2 seconds of video, then back to green screen. Does anybody have any ideas, please? Thanks.

PS, I'm using custom firmware 2.12, I know it's a little old, but I've lost my flash drive!

Had same prob tried different HDMI port, cable, latest custom f/w with no joy. Was beginning to get very fustrated then found that by waiting 5 mins or so after Humax has come out of standby before switching TV (LG 32lv355t) to HDMI works every time. Anytime before this, even tho the Humax appears to have booted and is showing tv channel on display results in either a few seconds of video then green or immediate green screen.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the nature of the beast, the only way I have found of dealing with this problem is to switch everything off at the mains and effectively 'reset' the connection.

If both units, TV and Hummy box, are left in standby it for a while it also seems to work. Nothing else will work, it seems even Humax don't know a fix for this one.

My box has started doing this as well.

Years of peaceful enjoyment with no issues to find that most times I switch the box on it starts with the Humax logo, starts with about 2 seconds of whatever channel it was on, then switches to either a black or green screen. The TV then says something like "No Signal" or "Scanning for signals", (Samsung Series 3 TV).

Occasionally it does work though. I have tried starting it it various sequences, tried cycling the VFORMAT (as BH suggested), waiting for periods of time after startup, and even changed the HDMI cable, but I have not narrowed down a specific cause. I can only surmise that the fault may be temperature related (I have had better connection successes when the box has been off for a long period of time). But it might be "old age" creeping in to the output circuitry.

I think it is a built in self destruct mechanism to make you go out and buy a new box.

I have also found that switching everything off seems to make it work.

I recently purchased a new TV. My previous model, a Philips 32" LCD was showing its age and has been passed on to another member of my family. Occasionally on that TV, I would get the HDMI handshake issue, either a green screen or just snow. It happens so infrequently, it didn't really bother us.

We now have a Samsung 39" LCD TV, more than pleased with it, and as yet have not had a single HDMI handshake issue.

I might add that I have two HDR's connected to the TV, one directly to HDMI port 1, the other to HDMI port 2 via an HDMI switch. No problems with either.

The problem seems to affect some people more than others, but as has been discussed many times, it seems boil down to compatibility issues at the HDMI handshake stage, Whether the 'fault' lies with Humax or the TV manufacturers themselves. I doubt we will have a resolution to it any time soon.

The problem seems to affect some people more than others, but as has been discussed many times, it seems boil down to compatibility issues at the HDMI handshake stage, Whether the 'fault' lies with Humax or the TV manufacturers themselves. I doubt we will have a resolution to it any time soon.

I like to think it is the Humax as I have tried the box on a couple of televisions and the same problem occurred, swith everything off when not in use and it seems to be ok, so just having to remember that for future reference.

If anyone from Humax reads these posts, come on, sort it out!

Not that I have experienced these kind of difficulties (I might have done, very early on, before the very first firmware update), but for other reasons I have recently started routing my HDMI through a matrix switch. This contains electronics which interface to the HDMI on the input side and retransmit HDMI (with new handshakes) on the output side.

If anyone having this trouble is prepared to throw a small amount of money at a potential solution, this could be one. See here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdmi-matrix-switches.3673/#post-46843

Back