Green screen

Connect to the TV using a SCART cable, if you can, and then you can see the hardware/software details.

Have you tried using the V-Format button on the Remote to cycle through the Definition options - the HDMI link may work with lower settings.

Martin

Hi BJH,

The green screen is something I've come to live with and I've researched it too but to be honest I think it's down to the different versions of HDMI there have been over the years. I have to be careful in the order that I turn the humax and tv on and so far it seems to be pretty stable. If I do get a problem, I then simply turn off the humax until the ring goes orange and the HDD turns off. Once that happens I can normally turn the humax and tv back on and it's ok. I normally turn the tv on then the humax.

I would definitely try a different make of TV if you can plus an older one or new one. Another option is to use something that lets you switch HDMI connections remotely as that will take in the HDMI signal and repeat it. This may help and has been suggested in these forms elsewhere.

Good luck

Rodp

Hello everyone a new joiner to this forum and after reading through the number of other people with a green screen issue I can see I am not alone!!

It would be nice to know what firmware or software I am running but it's impossible to tell because my box manages about 2 seconds of tv before going to the green screen.

Humax told me 2 years ago that this was the HDMI lead and I soldiered on making numerous off and on switches to get it started, finding the inability to start if it was recording on the journey, until now it just doesn't work. Different cables tried check, different HDMI slots used check. Totally frustrated, check mate.

Are Humax seriously trying to say that this is a fault caused by having a Sony or Samsung tv? Two of the biggest selling tv manufacturers in the world?

Unbelievable.

Not just Samsung and Sony, my tv is a LG and suffers the same problem gradually getting worse till it wont work at all on HDMI. Like you I have tried every possible solution I could find online with no luck. Humax blame LG and vica versa. Also wont work with a new Toshiba but ok on an old Sharp...

A significant minority of people have reported terrible HDMI problems. I have used a number of HD and HDR-Foxes with four LCD/ LED TVs (ca. 8 year old Sony, 2010 and 2011 Panasonics and a 2012 Samsung). All are fine with HDMI: the Sony is a bit slow negotiating the link, but it works. It does not seem to be a blanket problem with particular makes of TV, though anecdotally certain brands appear to be more affected. It could be that there are problems with particular models of TV and those having issues are unlucky enough to have identified one of them.
It does not seem like the problem is related to a specific version of the Humax software. Could it be a hardware issue at the Humax end? Has anyone who has had a problem with a particular TV tried using another HDR-Fox with the same TV and what was the outcome? How common is the HDMI problem with the HD-Fox? Could there be a component issue with HDR-Foxes manufactured around certain time?
Out of interest, if you have had a HDMI problem could you post the seven digit part of the serial number of your box that begins '710'. This number appears in the top right hand corner of the serial number label, or can be found in Web-If, if you have custom firmware installed. This will give an indication of when the unit was manufactured.
Edit: message #75 involved a HD-FOX, but the fault was infrequent and could be solved by changing video format, so it may not be relevant.

My old Philips LCD TV would, on occasion, have the green screen issue with BOTH my HDRs. However, a TV/HDR power cycle usually cured it. It did happen quite frequently.

Having said that, my 'new' Samsung TV has yet to suffer from the same problem, In the 12 months we have had it, we have not had the green screen issue at all, and that's also using the two same HDRs.

I came to the conclusion that the problem was hardware related in that the green screen got gradually worse over a period of time. A HD-Fox T2 connected to the same oldish Sony TV never gave any trouble (and still doesn't).
The HDR is now connected to a Panasonic and, touch wood, has not given any further trouble. I can only assume that the Panny is more tolerant to whatever the cause may be.

For what it's worth the appropriate part of the serial No is 7104266.

Back