HDR-Fox T2 Constant Deleting

The other is described in your link and the behaviour is identical to someone accidentality pressing the green remote button when they meant to use the red remote button just prior to deleting a top level recording or folder.
I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean. Green button as in "select all"? The only continuous deleting problem I was aware of, have experienced, and have written about is spontaneous, some kind of bug, and not triggered by user error. See Things Every... (click) section 10.

The problem you seem to be talking about is clearly user error and doing what it is supposed to do under those circumstances - I have not investigated how to interrupt a series of deletions brought about by user error, but maybe turning it off and on again would do it (the continuous delete problem can't be interrupted that way). The best defence against user error is the undelete package.

all the recording would now be deleted which by the sound of it isn't the case.
Not if the disk has gone read-only, which is also a distinct possibility as indicated in the OP.

There is no need to be confusing the OP with this.

Last edited:
Is it correct that certain types of software upgrades will NOT delete my existing recordings
Firmware updates do not affect your recordings. The operating firmware for the HDR-FOX is in a separate memory system from the HDD. The only way to affect your recordings is to choose the format option when performing a restore factory defaults operation (or go through the HDD menu to specifically reformat), which has nothing to do with a firmware update.

But in order to resolve my hard drive issues I will have to loose my recordings.
Not if you use our methods, see the link in post 19. You need to do this before considering anything else.

If you were reading this:
The only way out of this is to reformat the disk*, which is why it is necessary to copy your recordings off first.
__
* See Footnote (click)
...you must understand that "Things Every..." is written specifically about the plain vanilla HDR-FOX without custom firmware. The asterisk reference to the footnote points out that the custom firmware provides ways around these problems.

For Information
So can I transfer my recordings on to an external hard drive? can I copy even HD recordings ?
You can copy recordings to external drive (assuming the box is responsive - you need that first), including HiDef, except (as standard) the HiDef recordings will only play back using the original recorder to play them. Full details see Things Every... (click) section 5.

I have a brand new WD My Passport 2TB external drive, will this work?
I see no reason why not.

Also I have to format the new drive to FAT32 so when I plugged it in the first option was Do I want this drive for Windows or Mac use.
Plugged into where? Is that some kind of utility provided by WD? Don't use that, go through the normal drive formatting in Windows and ensure you choose FAT32.

However, FAT32 is no good to you for recordings that exceed 4GB (which is possible for HiDef recordings over an hour long). Nonetheless, FAT32 is probably what you want, unless you install custom firmware and the ntfs-3g package in which case you can overcome the 4GB limit with the NTFS format. See Things Every... (click) section 12.

Question: Humax uses a Mac's? address
You are confusing MAC (Media Access Control) with (Apple) Mac. All networked devices have a unique ID called a MAC address. You will not need to know anything about your HDR-FOX's MAC address (unless you venture into off-line decryption).

as it will be used with my smart TV and to hopefully copy over my saved recordings of films TV.
This will be OK for StDef recordings only. To be able to do this with HiDef recordings there are several hoops to jump through (not impossible). Also, some TVs are not able to read the recorded files and they have to be converted first. With custom firmware, you might be able to share recordings directly to the TV (even a TV not connected to the HDR-FOX except via your home network).

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Please may I ask for your assistance I am not an IT person and I am at my wits end with my faulty Humax HDR FOX T2. Please help!

This device has constant deleting symbol top right hand corner but no programmes have been actually deleted. I can still watch recordings pause, rewind.

In settings: Installation- Edit channels greyed out.

I have already tried factory reset- no change
Next is to reformat drive which means I will lose my recordings.

Before I try to reformat, or buy a new one!

My priority is to try & save my recordings to an external hard drive. I have a WD My Book external drive 2TB, with help from Western Digital tech team I formatted the drive to FAT32 Master Boot Record (MBR)

Please can anyone suggest an IT technician repair shop where I can take my device?
If anyone has a number of a tech person I can speak to this would be much appreciated.

I have spoken to Humax tech team they advised me as much as they can & suggest I buy a new one.

Purchased another WD My Book but with power supply which appears on my humax. I copied over some recordings but
it's a file called: AVI WPSetting.dat with error message ' cannot support this file format'
I also have a usb stick to format for the firmware if I recover my recordings
Please help.

Thank you all

Kind Regards
Blu

The following post is written especially for people like you. It might seem complicated, but just follow the instructions step by step:

Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

If you get stuck, tell us what you are stuck on and somebody will help. If information needs clarifying, your feedback will help us clarify it.

Last edited:
In addition to the advice from BH above, the main point is that there is probably nothing to serious amiss with your system and you are unlikely to lose your recordings unless you do a factory reset with a disc format. So don't do that.

I copied over some recordings but it's a file called: AVI WPSetting.dat
No they are not, you are misinterpreting what you see.

with error message ' cannot support this file format'
As "AVI WPSetting.dat" is (I guess) a file relevant to the media server functions of the WD My Book software, not your recording files, this is not surprising. If there are no other files present on the drive, your backup was unsuccessful.

I formatted the drive to FAT32 Master Boot Record (MBR)
FAT32 limits maximum file size to 4GB. If you have HiDef recordings more than an hour or so long (ie likely to exceed 4GB - the Strictly Christmas Special in HiDef is 4.6GB, for example), you cannot copy them intact to a FAT32 drive.

All you need for backing up recordings from a HDR-FOX is a plain unbranded USB2 external hard drive, and then format it using the HDR-FOX menus (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage). This makes it Ext3 format, which will handle large recording files OK (but is not compatible with Windows). I guess you could do this with your My Book, but reformatting it will (I guess) wipe the Windows backup and utility software installed on it by WD (and which you paid for in the purchase price).

Please can anyone suggest an IT technician repair shop where I can take my device?
If anyone has a number of a tech person I can speak to this would be much appreciated.

I have spoken to Humax tech team they advised me as much as they can & suggest I buy a new one.
No, no, and NO (advice from Humax "tech support" is largely bollox, and naturally Humax have a vested interest in selling you a replacement... which wouldn't be half as good as a HDR-FOX anyway). We are the de facto tech support for HDR-FOX, but you have to remember this is a voluntary self-help community. It is not commercially viable for anybody else to do it.

You need to become your own tech support by educating yourself using the information available on this forum and wiki – a lot of time and effort has gone into compiling it. After you have recovered your situation by doing what I said in post 24 (and, indeed, in post 4 and post 19 – why are we going around this loop again?? I take it you didn't try or didn't understand – see post 24), start your education here: Things Every... (click)

Last edited:
As Black Hole is telling you this is not a difficult process. However if you want someone to do it for you, I will be happy to do it for the cost of postage (plus parts if it turns out the hard drive needs replacing). Start a conversation (third item from the right on top menu bar) with me if you want details.

Let us know where you are, and there might be one of us fairly local that will be willing to help.

Last edited:
I have just started to see a constant '*Deleting ....' on the on-TV media displays,
though AFAIK it wasn't deleting anything (Dustbin was not growing)
This is a day after running a fixdisk that fixed a couple of file system problems

Before starting fix disk I noticed the Humax status was Playing [FlatView]/Richard Osman's House of Games_20200113_1800 even though I wasn't using that programme so I couldn't use the Webif Reboot button and had to use the power switch,
I started fix disk and was expecting to see a prompt for
Code:
Are you having problems with a delete loop [Y/N]?
But that has not appeared, why? Has it been deleted?
Instead it went into the long inode, blocks and sizes check which found nothing
After rebooting the Deleting problem was not present until I tried to delete [FlatView]/Richard Osman's House of Games_20200113_1800 again

So it appears my problem is a Failure to delete a single file rather than looping deleting all recordings and fixdisk did not detect or cure it.

I have now deleted [FlatView]/Richard Osman's House of Games_20200113_1800 and the original copy via a SMB link and , touch wood, that appears to have cured the problem

Maybe this is the OP's problem. Unfortunately, until we get more information out of him about what he's done so far, we can't help.

Thank you all for your advice & guidance.
To be frank, I feel out of my depth in this forum. When I first saw this site I believed it was only highly skilled professional IT technicians and innovators.
but I sincerely appreciate everyone's patience and encouragement in helping me with this.

What I really need is a step by step guide for Dummies with (pictures)

As the custom firmware way will not affect my recordings as long as I don't go for formatting am I safe to put the transferring of my recordings to one side for now? Or should I deal with this first? incase the new firmware affects me playing my recordings.

I did save copies of the files that came with the WDmybook.

First issues i need to format my 16GB flash drive to Fat32 mbr? Save the files from the stick & put them back after the format is that correct?
Next add the correct firmware?
My Version is FHTCP 1.03.12
I've read through now i'm stuck am I reading correctly the the Firmware download could make my device loose or make worse other aspects which are not a problem on my device
Slow TV Guide, poor audio?

My issues are the recording facility has stopped working, cannot rewind live tv.
Constant deleting symbol

Settings: Edit Channels & installation greyed out although these come back for a few minutes if i unplug & wait

Which Version?

Humax Version Advantages Disadvantages
1.03.12 (HDR)
1.03.02 (HD)

Iplayer works[1]
Works with new vertical-tuner hardware
Fixes BBC3/4 HD recording problem
Slow on-TV Guide
Unattended retunes[2]
Audio description volume problem
1.02.32 (HDR)
1.02.31 (HD)

Faster on-TV Guide (than 1.03.xx)
Fixes DLNA client 4GB file streaming limit
Iplayer no-longer works[1]
Unattended retunes[2]
Audio description volume problem
Problems recording BBC3/4 HD
Does not work with new vertical-tuner hardware[3]
(HDR & HD)

Faster on-TV Guide (than 1.03.xx)
Audio description better
No unattended retunes
Iplayer no-longer works[1]
Problems recording BBC3/4 HD
DLNA client 4GB streaming limit[4]
Does not work with new vertical-tuner hardware[3]

Would it be possible to speak to someone who could talk me through each stage? I appreciate that time is money. I had every intention of making a donation. Or I could consider a fee from an expert?

I have already contacted a member but I did not suggest a speaking?

Alot of effort & dedication has gone into this site.

Thanks again for your patience
Kind regards
Blu

am I safe to put the transferring of my recordings to one side for now?
Yes, as said earlier in the replies to your own questions.

Or should I deal with this first?
No

incase the new firmware affects me playing my recordings.
It won't.

My issues are the recording facility has stopped working, cannot rewind live tv.
Constant deleting symbol
We know that. The problem is that the file system on your HDD has become corrupted and "read only" (cannot be written to). That means any attempt to record or delete is unsuccessful. The corruption can be corrected with no more damage than has already occurred.

I've read through now i'm stuck am I reading correctly the the Firmware download could make my device loose or make worse other aspects which are not a problem on my device
Certainly not. You are imagining problems where there are none. Any problems with the CF versions of the Humax firmware are already there in the equivalent version of the original Humax firmware, and the CF is about work-arounds to other problems as well as adding functionality (including access to file system recovery).

My Version is FHTCP 1.03.12
So you need the CF version of 1.03.12

Slow TV Guide, poor audio?
Not poor audio – poor Audio Description (the visually-impaired service you get by selecting Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Audio Description = ON). Regarding the "slow" TV Guide, it is reportedly so by comparison with earlier firmwares, but if you don't have a problem with that then it isn't a problem.

First issues i need to format my 16GB flash drive to Fat32 mbr? Save the files from the stick & put them back after the format is that correct?
No. My guides are totally explicit about this: you need a normal DOS format UPD (USB Pen Drive / Stick / whatever, formatted FAT32 – generally as supplied); download the CF update file; unzip it to the UPD; plug the UPD into the HDR-FOX; reboot the HDR-FOX. If the screen doesn't show the firmware update process taking place, either you haven't downloaded and unzipped the file correctly or the UPD isn't compatible.

For the sake of completeness, here's the link again: Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

This is a learning process. You will not learn without dipping your toe in the water – if you actually try to do these things instead of questioning them, I believe it will all become clear. When I said "let us know where you are stuck", that didn't mean before you start at all.

What I really need is a step by step guide for Dummies with (pictures)
It is a very labour intensive process adding pictures for a "Dummies Guide in Colour" – however, @MattC made a YouTube video of the installation process (but it is out of date - the installation file is delivered as a zip, and it needs unzipping not renaming):

(The original post, with more videos, is here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/custom-firmware-video-guide.1024)

Would it be possible to speak to someone who could talk me through each stage?
I wouldn't want to talk you through it, (a) because that implies a long time on the phone and finding a mutually convenient appointment, (b) because that involves telling you exactly the same as has been written down for you or can be written down for future reference by all, and (c) I know by experience how difficult it is to explain things over the phone without "eyes on" – just because you think you've done what I said doesn't mean you actually have, and I wouldn't be able to see what the misunderstanding was. Anything else is simply hand-holding.

If you really can't stomach all this, Martin offered to do it all for you for the price of postage (or I will) – where are you with that?

Last edited:
Thank you BH working my way through the video links - Yes Martin has responded

Kind regards
Blu

Hi Guys

Ok I'm having a go ????? so far I have just opened my Scandisk 16GB usb which is already FAT32 files in stick did a quick update then i moved them all to a desktop file USB now empty upload zip file to a separate desk top file unzipped &
moved the following file to usb name is currently HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf do I change the file name to HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13 ? as got a warning message when I tried to change the file name

Rename: If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable - Are you sure you want to change the name.

Thank you

Sorry me again

OK my usb has 1 file called HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf - and can now be removed from my computer ?
Do I need to remove from my Humax my HDMI cables just leave TV cable, Ethernet connected also before putting Humax on standby should I disconnect power wait a while as my Installation and edit channels reappear after I plug device in ?

OK my usb has 1 file called HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf - and can now be removed from my computer ?
Yes.
Do I need to remove from my Humax my HDMI cables just leave TV cable, Ethernet connected also before putting Humax on standby should I disconnect power wait a while as my Installation and edit channels reappear after I plug device in ?
You can leave everything plugged in. Put the Humax in to standby. When the disk stops spinning turn off the power to the Humax for a few seconds and then start the Humax; you should see an indication on the TV screen that the update is starting.

Ok Thank you so much

Also when do I start Tel net Putty Configuration? I'm watching Utube but don't understand where this will appear, will putty appear via humax on my TV or do I need to get into putty via my windows 10 there appears to be a lot of programme writing on a black screen ?

Back