HDR-Fox T2 Constant Deleting

Ok done rebooted gone connected to telnet and it took me back to the begining maintence mode initialising please wait

I am confused about chosing Ip numbers that match or dont clash i haven't changed any IP NUMBERS

Ok rebooted again & gone into fixdisk which is running
Checking partition : Pass 1:
Chicking inodes blocks & sizes

Checking partition : Pass 1:
Chicking inodes blocks & sizes
Excellent. You have got it started. It will take a minimum of several hours depending on the state of the hard drive; just leave it chugging away over night and see where it is in the morning; you need to make sure your PC won't shutdown due to inactivity.

Donations: forum supports
13, 6 & 1 month ?
Is that refering to you martin & black hole you guys are the online support?

Donations go towards the costs of running the site and not to site members.
People offer their help for free and do not expect payment. However the actual nuts and bolts of the site costs the site owner money to run and that's what your 'donations' help towards.

Do i need to put the usb stick in humax again?
No – you will never need to do that again (probably). You now have Humax firmware version 1.03.12 plus CF 3.13 installed until you deliberately install some other version.

Great. So the reboot sorted that problem. Hopefully you have discovered that "having a go" is quicker than waiting for answers to all your infinitesimal insecurities.

i have to keep pressing apply to keep internet connection
This worries me, I would like to get to the bottom of it. Is it still a problem? Don't change anything while fixdisk is still working (if it is).

I have a BT connection ethernet cable from HUMAX box to my computer tower
I do not understand this. Do you mean you have the HDR-FOX Ethernet port wired to another Ethernet port located on your actual computer? If so, it is not surprising the connection is unstable (you are lucky to have any functionality at all). Your Ethernet from the HDR-FOX should be connected to your BT router (one of the four LAN ports, not the WAN port), not directly to the computer. It is the normal function of the router is to sort out all the business of allocating IP addresses on your network – your computer is probably not configured to do that or expects to do that (it is possible, but far too complicated, and having the computer do it could conflict with the router...).

I am confused about chosing Ip numbers that match or dont clash i haven't changed any IP NUMBERS
All the information I have written up on this subject assumes a connection to your router. With the connection to the router not the computer, here's what you need to do:
  1. On the HDR-FOX: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP.

2. Click "Apply".

3. When the connection process completes, note the "IP Address" – the four numbers (eg "168.192.1.23") is the address of the HDR-FOX on your home network, and is what you need for Telnet access, or browser access to the CF web interface (WebIF). "IP" = Internet Protocol

4. The last number in the IP address is liable to change from time to time. You can fix it (so you can bookmark it) by logging into your router as Admin and making an adjustment (specifically BT Home Hub router, other routers may vary):

1. In your web browser address bar, enter the address of your router control panel "192.168.1.254". The control panel should come up.

2. Click "Advanced Settings", you will be asked to enter your administrator password (from the information card that comes with the router, which is also where you got your WiFi password from).

3. On the connected devices list, find the HDR-FOX (from its IP address) and click it.

4. You should see a tick box which says something like "always use this address" – tick it. That fixes the IP address for your HDR-FOX on your home network (until you reset your router).
If you cannot connect the HDR-FOX directly to your router, there are other ways to skin a cat... such as using a WiFi USB dongle instead of a wire. However, for occasional use such as this, it is possible to create an "ad-hoc" network directly between your computer and the HDR-FOX. Instructions will vary according to which operating system you are running on the computer.

Last edited:
Do you mean you have the HDR-FOX Ethernet port wired to another Ethernet port located on your actual computer? If so, it is not surprising the connection is unstable (you are lucky to have any functionality at all).
There is nothing wrong with temporarily connecting direct from computer to Humax. It has the disadvantage that you need to set the IP addresses manually but I see no reason why it shouldn't work for the purpose of running fixdisk. Why do you think it would be unstable.

How can you make that assertion without more knowledge of the system in question? How would the user know what IP address to set manually (without a DHCP server to do the donkey work)? That it appears to be unstable is evident.

Nothing wrong with it, no, but I assert you need to know much more to set it up properly. If Win10 (or whatever) is already configured to extend a WiFi network connection through to the local LAN port, clearly it isn't doing a very good job of it.

How can you make that assertion without more knowledge of the system in question? How would the user know what IP address to set manually (without a DHCP server to do the donkey work)?
You set fixed IP addresses at each end on the same subnet; no need for a DHCP server. I use this technique all the time for configuring new equipment. It is perfectly stable.
That it appears to be unstable is evident.
In this case it is unstable but as the user hasn't told us which message he is having to press enter to it is difficult to tell him how to resolve it.

You set fixed IP addresses at each end on the same subnet; no need for a DHCP server. I use this technique all the time for configuring new equipment. It is perfectly stable.
I agree. Not so easy to explain to a novice how to do that though, and it seems unlikely that's what Blu did. Naively plugging an Ethernet wire into an Ethernet-shaped hole has "sort of" worked when one wouldn't expect it to and perhaps would have been better if it hadn't.

I have just made a donation Thank you all for your support, patience and professionalism, this site is really not for novices but Thanks for putting up with me.
Is there any way I can delete my silly rants entries /conversations from last night got a bit carried away I was in shock I got as far as I did.
I forgot this site is for IT experts who were bombarded with nonsence.

Kind Regards
Blu

I have just made a donation Thank you all for your support, patience and professionalism, this site is really not for novices but Thanks for putting up with me.
So where did you get to?
Is there any way I can delete my silly rants entries /conversations from last night got a bit carried away I was in shock I got as far as I did.
You can go back and edit or delete any post you want but remember that the people who have taken the time to respond may feel that they have been wasting their time.
I forgot this site is for IT experts who were bombarded with nonsence.
This site is very definitely not limited to IT experts. It is to try and help users with problems with Humax kit. Non-expert users are welcome to ask as many questions as they like but it really helps to solve problems quickly if they provide information that is requested.

Back