HDR Fox T2 File ts Editing

I have only just noticed this post (from another topic):

The recorded files for Humax HD-FOX T2 using TS format as extension with MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 as video codec, MP3 or AC3 as audio codec. This format is not supported by most players like WMP, VLC, etc. You can read this article about conversion of Humax HD Fox T2 TS files, hope it helps.

We know VLC does play these formats, so there is something wrong here, but the link looks interesting.

I've searched the forum but cant find any comments on mediacoder (cuda compliant) and HD files. Has anyone tried this, and had success?

I don't recall the name (and of course a search soon confirms that for here at least it hasn't come up before) although our quest on this thread was for editing solutions to trim and remove ads mainly - so transcoders weren't needed so much and TSMuxerGUI came out as something that seemed to fit most peoples bills. Also now that some of the free players (specifically VLC) now have more and more support for playing files off the Humax the need to transcode has for most people gone away (although there are still some circumstances where it's needed). Out of interest what were you looking to do with Mediacoder? I'm always keen to see what other people want to try and do in case it ends up being something I'd want to do as well!!!

It's been a while since I did any of this once on the box editing became possible but in case anyone is still looking for advanced functions I got an email today announcing a new version of Lightworks NLE (Non Linear Editor) for Windows. I did audition this one way back (search in this thread to see that) but overall I found it overkill for what I wanted to do although now there are more tutorials available apparently but anyway, if there are those that want Industry Standard software for free then this might be worth a look. Search 'Lightworks' if you wanted to check it out.

Interesting. I downloaded and installed the 14-day trial (with watermarked output). Installation was straightforward, apart from needing a reboot. The program then calibrated itself for my CUDA graphics. There is a specific wizard for importing .ts files. The interface is superficially similar to VRD and looks usable. I say 'looks' because unfortunately that's as far as I've got.

I've tried to edit a Hummy HD recording of 'Corfu - A Tale of Two Islands'. First problem: if you clip a section you lose the main video display - everything just goes black until you insert a key frame somewhere - anywhere. Second problem: the program crashes pretty quickly. This means I haven't managed to test its output options so far. I then tried an old file of 'The Night Watch'. After loading I hit the preview Play button and the software again crashed after about 5 seconds.

It is a beta trial version. Also, Hummy files do seem to be poison to editors. I'll keep tinkering, but beta may not be the place to start with this software if it's Hummy HD files you want to edit.

It can and is, and I can make it available if people want it, but its just a command line tool, and you have to know in advance what frame ranges you want to cut (or have pre-bookmarked). The only "unique to the Humax" stuff it needs are the *.hmt and *.nts files from the recording (as will as the *.ts of course) In some ways though its just as easy to telnet on to the humax and run it directly on there, and that shoulnd't interupt SWMBO's viewing...
Any chance you could make it avaliable for windows? I don't want to install the custom firmware yet, but want to edit the recordings I've copied off the box.

Its annoying, I've got the video out fine, but for some reason I can't get the audio to work in AviSynth. if I can cut & shut the video file, it removes the need to re-encode the file.

Actually, I've managed to find a way to edit the TS files and get them playing over PS3MediaServer to my Samsung TV.

Going by the previous pages, I'm not sure if anyone has found a simple way, so I'll detail what I've found out, just in case it helps anyone else. Getting your app to work Drutt, would save a bit of work and make the whole process simpler however.

Ok, you need TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4, its not free sadly, its $69.95 - this is why the app refereed to above would be great, it would remove the need for this program).

Ok, you need to get the TS file off the Humax box by removing the enc flag using Foxy & copy the recording to the USB drive and then FTP it to your PC.

Then load it in TMPGEnc and cut out the bits as required (remember to remove any audio descriptive tracks you don't want - although these can be muxed into the MKV if you want). It won't let you output it as an MKV because of a format violation (although it works perfectly fine as a MKV in the end), so you have to output it as a m2t file.

When setting the output settings for the Audio you may need to change the format to Dolby Digital from AAC as it suggests not all players like AAC sound. Certainly this is the case in my experience, so I just change it to Dolby Digital (AC3). Set the number of channels as required (either 2 or 5.1) and if you have two channels set the Bitrate to around 256, if its 5.1, set it to 448 (you can do 2ch in 448 as well if you wish, but chances are its a waste of bandwidth as 2 channel AAC doesn't tend to be above 200, let alone 448 in my experience).

Once this has been done, rename the .m2t file to .ts and load it into TSMuxer GUI (this is free)
Select the DeMux option and click start demuxing.
With the two (or three if you kept any additional audio tracks) files you get you need to use MKVMerge to create the MKV File.

And this works just perfectly with my Samsung ES8000 TV. I'll test it with the PS3, but I'm not expecting any issues.

And hey presto, you have a perfectly edited & trimmed recording from your Humax HDR box.

I think you need to gen up a bit. Check out links below.
Sorry, call me a newb, but I don't know what you mean by 'gen up', I'm guess it means read up? Anyway, I looked through the links and didn't find an appropriate thread that described how to edit the TS files - well, I did - it linked to this thread.

I appreciate you can probably do what I did above with the custom firmware, but some people, such as myself, don't feel comfortable installing the custom firmware on their system, so the only way to do it is to copy it off onto the PC and do it there.

If you looked far enough you would find a way to bypass the USB nause:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/how-to-download-humax-files-to-pc-decrypted.436/

* "Gen up" derives from "general information", and is a familiar phrase to people of a certain age group.
Ah, thanks for the heads up on Gen up! lol

But my post wasn't about transferring the files off the box - actually the thread you linked to doesn't work for HD content anyway! What I posted about was editing the TS files to remove adverts / pre & post content that you don't want.

Transferring them off is actually the easy bit!

@MGSteve. Reading your posts I'm prompted to check that you haven't missed the 'Crop' option in webif. It's not perfect, but in terms of cost and effort expended against benefit derived, it still wins in my book. See the 'Editing via Web-If' wiki entry here.

The imperfection is that it loses a few seconds of sound after each cut point. I generally place my resume bookmarks at the beginning of the programme title screen that appears after each ad break. That way, although I do see the title screens, I lose nothing significant from the sound track.

As you say, it's easy to transfer files off the box. What you can do or cannot do with them (I'm referring to HD files here) after you've got them off is another matter. Most editors - and I've tried a lot of them - seem to crash at some point when trying to process Hummy files. The last time I looked at VideoReDo, it was only happy saving HD output as a ts file. Freemake's editor crashes if you move the cut point to the end of the file, and truncates output at random. Handbrake also crashes randomly. The most useful process I've found is the 'Quick stream fix' in VideoReDo. Once a Hummy ts file has been through this clean-up process, the resulting file seems to be acceptable to any of the above editors/transcoders. Unfortunately, to get Quick Stream Fix currently costs $95 and I've been unable to locate any free alternative that does the job.

I appreciate you can probably do what I did above with the custom firmware, but some people, such as myself, don't feel comfortable installing the custom firmware on their system, so the only way to do it is to copy it off onto the PC and do it there.
It's easy, it's reversible. Give it a try!

The most useful process I've found is the 'Quick stream fix' in VideoReDo. Once a Hummy ts file has been through this clean-up process, the resulting file seems to be acceptable to any of the above editors/transcoders. Unfortunately, to get Quick Stream Fix currently costs $95 and I've been unable to locate any free alternative that does the job.

I thought it might help find another (free) program that does what 'Quick Stream Fix' by detailing what it does. Quote :-
The key purpose of QuickStream Fix is to re-align the time stamps in the output file. Sometimes, video captured from DVB Satellite or sourced from DVD VOB or VRO files may have internal time stamps that are not sequential. The time stamps in the output file, such as PTS and GOP headers, will be re-calculated

Back