HDR fox T2 freezes

I've been testing the box over the weekend, might be a complete coincidence but when I add my wifes laptop to the network shares automount, the box stars locking up as before. The missus has a habit of running every program at once as well as loads of internet tabs maxing out the CPU usage, the laptop itself is very hot underneath, once removed, everything seems ok, as I said, might be a complete coincidence.... What do any of you think?

Very likely the cause. Complex equipment + naive user = bad combination.

The 'Fox might not have literally locked up, leave it long enough and it may well give up whatever it was trying to do and come back. I have found that kind of thing with networky operations.

Arghh! It still happens with the other laptop removed. I've taken off all custom firmware and loaded on official software 1.02.32. I now don't think the laptop could have been the issue as the hd box upstairs works fine with network shares automount. I may try loading on an earlier version of the custom firmware to see if that works.

For what it's worth here is a pic if the front display when it freezes
e9ugusuv.jpg

Have you got Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share off or on? If it's on, try turning it off. If it's off, I'm out of ideas other than a factory reset and hard drive reformat.

One last idea: does your fan run? Could it be overheating?

Have you got Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share off or on? If it's on, try tuning it off. If it's off, I'm out of ideas other than a factory reset and hard drive reformat.
I've got content share set to off. I'm formatting the storage just now via menu>>settings>>system>>data storage>>format storage. I've just also reset all values to the factory default. Should I turn off the FTP server?

Have you got Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share off or on? If it's on, try turning it off. If it's off, I'm out of ideas other than a factory reset and hard drive reformat.

One last idea: does your fan run? Could it be overheating?
You might be on to something, I've had a look at the back and can see that the fan isn't running, the unit is definitely very hot underneath so it may be causing it to shut down. There's a new package for viewing info about fan usage I think, might reload the cfw, and see what that says.

You will need to install the CFW + the Sysmon package in order to check on the Humax (hard disk) temperature. With the CFW it is also possible to see a history of the hottest temperature the hard disk has ever reached, so you can tell if it has over heated. If the metal base of the Humax feels hot, then I would say the fan should be on. It may be worth resting the Humax on something metal temporarily, so that it can transfer some heat to it

Ok, I've switched off the unit just now, will leave it for a few hours to cool down, then reload the cfw and hopefully that will show the temps just before the box switches off.
As well as the Sysmon graphs try Web-If >> Diagnostic >> Hard Disk and scroll down to attributes ID 194, the Worst figure is the maximum temperature that your hard disk has reached, typical is 58 Deg. C

In the short term I would fit an external fan powered from one of the USB sockets, 70 Deg. C is still (just) within the Seagate Pipiline spec. but it should never get that hot in the Humax, your fan isn't working ! ! ! It has been stated by a user that standing the Humax on it's short side keeps it a lot cooler without the fan running, if this is practical
EDIT
Sorry, I though I was relying to pitchshifter182, anyway the info. still applies, the fan should turn on at 55 Deg. C and that usually means the temperature is usually reduced by the time it gets up to 58. My Hard disk has never gone above 58 Deg. C in 8500 hours of use

Do the paper test.

Thanks all - Fan is working - Checked normal operation before applying fan package and did cycle to 58/59C.
Applied fan and set to 50% - Now runs slowly up to 48/49C.

No idea how it got to 70 at some time ? maybe a really hot day during the summer with lots happening and the amp a bit too close ????

In the short term I would fit an external fan powered from one of the USB sockets, 70 Deg. C is still (just) within the Seagate Pipiline spec. but it should never get that hot in the Humax, your fan isn't working ! ! ! It has been stated by a user that standing the Humax on it's short side keeps it a lot cooler without the fan running, if this is practical
EDIT
Sorry, I though I was relying to pitchshifter182, anyway the info. still applies, the fan should turn on at 55 Deg. C and that usually means the temperature is usually reduced by the time it gets up to 58. My Hard disk has never gone above 58 Deg. C in 8500 hours of use

Just powered it back up so it's cold just now, will see what temp it is when it freezes. I had done a factory restore and reloaded cfw so I think the readings are all starting from scratch.

y9u7usev.jpg

The box hasn't froze all night, I've set the fan to min speed 50%, I can also confirm that the fan is indeed running and the box no longer feels very hot. The area in which it's situated in is a haven for dust to settle so I hoovered out the alcove and the back of the unit ( at the fan vents as this showed signs of dust build up) and all seems good. I'll add the network shares automount package and see how that goes, all in all everything looks good! Thanks for the help.

David
jy7eqeja.jpg

pitchshifter182 : I don't think excess hard disk temperature is your problem, your picture in #38 shows the drive has never gone higher than 56 Deg. C which is quite normal. This is a measurement of hard disk temperature, so I suppose some other component could be getting too hot but I think that is unlikely

Back