HDR fox T2 freezes

Curiously enough, two days on the trot I have found HDR1 in a crashed state of some sort. On the first occasion it was in a half-awake state but unresponsive to front panel or remote; second occasion (today) it was in a blue-ring state with the scrolling VFD frozen and no response to WebIF (although my network shares could see a presence, but no media) and again no response to front panel or remote.

Both times normal service resumed after a cold boot. I must check the fan...
Crashed again, almost the same as the second scenario (no network share presence, which is what alerted me). HDR1 has been on continuously the last few days.

Once rebooted (cold start), I checked the crash log but that wasn't very informative (doesn't say when it crashed, only what the up time was). Sysmon temperature datapoints end around 11.45 yesterday, and indicate a steady fan-mediated temperature - so it doesn't look as if this crash (in particular) was down to overheating.

Crashed again, almost the same as the second scenario (no network share presence, which is what alerted me). HDR1 has been on continuously the last few days.

Once rebooted (cold start), I checked the crash log but that wasn't very informative (doesn't say when it crashed, only what the up time was). Sysmon temperature datapoints end around 11.45 yesterday, and indicate a steady fan-mediated temperature - so it doesn't look as if this crash (in particular) was down to overheating.
I'm now averaging 1 freeze per day. There seems to be no pattern to it, hard disk temps look good, CPU usage steady also. I generally leave the box on all the time, so last night I manually put it into stand by, so far no freeze. My crash log isn't showing any entries though
:-/

This is an absolute stab in the dark.

Are the boxes that are 'freezing or crashing' quite old? I ask because PSU capacitors in the Topfield 5800 and 5810 can start to fail after a few years (earlier in a 5810 which has poor ventilation), causing similar symptoms.

I realise that the HDR's have a fan and thus significantly better air flow which will hopefully increase its longevity. But sooner or later it will fail.

This is an absolute stab in the dark.

Are the boxes that are 'freezing or crashing' quite old? I ask because PSU capacitors in the Topfield 5800 and 5810 can start to fail after a few years (earlier in a 5810 which has poor ventilation), causing similar symptoms.

I realise that the HDR's have a fan and thus significantly better air flow which will hopefully increase its longevity. But sooner or later it will fail.
Mines is 1 year and 5 months old, I've had a look inside and there's no oozing from the capacitors but that not to say they haven't failed.

Back