HDR fox T2 freezes

pitchshifter182 : I don't think excess hard disk temperature is your problem, your picture in #38 shows the drive has never gone higher than 56 Deg. C which is quite normal. This is a measurement of hard disk temperature, so I suppose some other component could be getting too hot but I think that is unlikely
But bear in mind that those results were after a complete cfw removal, ofw installed, reset to factory defaults and a hard disk format. Before the box was always very hot after it froze, now the fan is running and the box is warm but nothing like what it used to be. Would the results in post 38 be from that exact point in time when the cfw was loaded and not previous ones?

I appreciate that you have formatted the hard drive, but I don't think the logged parameters are reset during a format e.g. line 9 Power on hours still reads 5704, line 4 Start Stop count 2130 times etc.

I appreciate that you have formatted the hard drive, but I don't think the logged parameters are reset during a format e.g. line 9 Power on hours still reads 5704
I see what you mean. It's weird how it doesn't show the high temps of earlier, to the point where it was uncomfortable to place your hand on top of the unit, and the fan wasn't rotating! . As I said, the fan is running now, maybe that hoovering out of the vent at the back has cleared a lot of dust build up!!

If true, the lock-ups would be down to other parts of the electronics getting too hot (usually because the timing margins on memory accesses reach zero). We only know of HDD temperature feeding to control the fan, but there could be another mechanism monitoring CPU temperature that is usually masked by the HDD control loop.

4ytaryry.jpg

Big change in temps from last night to today. I have been duel recording and watching movies via the network shares automount but the temp has stayed steady! A good result im assuming!!

I appreciate that you have formatted the hard drive, but I don't think the logged parameters are reset during a format e.g. line 9 Power on hours still reads 5704, line 4 Start Stop count 2130 times etc.
I agree, disk statistics are NOTHING to do with filesystem data on the disk.

(Edited by keith)

prpr: I have no idea who keith is, nor what he has done to my post or those surrounding it.
He didn't even have the courtesy to bother to tell me. I wonder why. I also wonder if he bothered to tell the other person? I'm pretty sure I never wrote that sentence above in those words. Censorship eh?

I've just turned the min fan speed to 0%, after 20 mins the unit freezes, the hard disk temp went up to 55 , quite acceptable, but something else (affected by an increase in heat) inside must be causing the unit to freeze. With the fan set at min 50%, the temp doesn't rise above 42, which doesn't cause the freezing issue.

I've just turned the min fan speed to 0%, after 20 mins the unit freezes, the hard disk temp went up to 55 , quite acceptable, but something else (affected by an increase in heat) inside must be causing the unit to freeze. With the fan set at min 50%, the temp doesn't rise above 42, which doesn't cause the freezing issue.
Have you ever had the lid off? Might be worth a good de-fluff.

Right, had a half day to take from work so I've just taken the cover off, not much in the way of dust/fluff, nothing out of the ordinary, the heat sink seems to be well seated with no movement. I've hoovered out and put back together. I'll alter the min fan percentage again and see if it still freezes
5azaqute.jpg

Freezes again when turning the fan % down below 40. 50 it is for me, out of interest, what level does anyone else have the fan set to and do your temp graphs level out? Mines is constant at 42 degrees.

The last I thing I will say is a big thank you to all involved in cfw and more specifically the Fan package. Without this, my box would be useless and I'd be buying another one for sure. Once again the time and effort spent developing packages, and providing support is much appreciated.

David

It seems quite a few of us now have more than one HDR! I for one, have three.

The Custom Firmware is a 'must have' for me.

Freezes again when turning the fan % down below 40. 50 it is for me, out of interest, what level does anyone else have the fan set to and do your temp graphs level out? Mines is constant at 42 degrees.

So are you happy as it is? I realise that the box is usabe now but there is clearly an issue somewhere.

Posted on the move

Back