HDR-fox-T2 poor signal strength

Tommy

Hi Folks
Can I ask advice on my recent problem of poor signal strength, usually 65-70% and causes pixilation.

The antenna is a solid installation using T & K brackets externally mounted. The coax is terminated into an internal amplifier for distribution to the other sets in the house.

There are 2 HDR's in the property and both have poor signal strength, tried a manual retune without success. What equipment is used to check for signal strength from the transmitter?

Is this a job for an aerial man to check with his equipment?

Any advice would be appreciated

Can I ask advice on my recent problem of poor signal strength, usually 65-70% and causes pixilation.
We need some background/history.
Was this a system that was working and has recently gone 'off'?
If yes, what was the strength before?
How old is the installation?
Is the aerial still intact and correctly pointed?
Is the coax properly secured all the way down to inside? (Loose cable can rub in the wind creating a hole for rain to get in.)

65-70% should be fine, so your problem is something else. The important figure is the quality.

The only proper way to assess strength and quality is through Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection (or the equivalent on the hidden service menu), and watch the meters for a good few seconds (I would say half a minute) looking for sudden drops.

Location? (Postcode of shop pub, church within 100 m of the home for prediction purposes).

What transmitter.
What aerial type?
What amplifier make and model?

Is this a recent change in reception?
Have you been leafletted or are you affected by mobile phone interference? Check here https://restoretv.uk/

Have you tried the aerial direct to one HDR?
What does the S/Q show for each and every multiplex frequency then, repeat with the amplifier in circuit.

Hi Thanks everyone I will try to supply answers to your questions. I have tried to upload images but it said they are too large? What size do I require please?

Hi Managed to work out how to resize images!!!! The aerial is properly mounted using T & K brackets, was erected using scaffolding and is now not easily accessible.

We have 2 HDR's (12 years old) in the property, the transmitter is Angus and it is visually aligned. The trees in full leaf at this time of year is where the aerial points to. Channel 39 has a 70% signal strength and the reception is pixelating. The reception problem occurred approximately 2 weeks ago but has worked extremely well for many years. DD5 3GA, mobile phone mast 900m from my property.

Attachments

• Aerial.jpg
    Aerial.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 22
  • Trees.jpg
    Trees.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 24
  • TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 22
  • Antiference.jpg
    Antiference.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 26
I have tried to upload images but it said they are too large?
That's not a question of size in pixels, it's the file size which matters! From Newbie's Guide:
There is an upload size limit of 5MB per image file. If the file is larger than that, either convert it to a smaller file (eg reduce the resolution or the JPEG quality setting) or upload it to a photo hosting web site (eg Photobucket), Dropbox, or some other web space and see below.

Channel 39 has a 70% signal strength and the reception is pixelating.
Like I said before, signal strength is irrelevant – particularly at 70% which should be absolutely fine. PLEASE QUOTE THE QUALITY FIGURE.

HDD problems can result in pixelation.

Last edited:
That's not a question of size in pixels, it's the file size which matters! From Newbie's Guide:
But that means trying various sizes to get under the MB limit. Which is unhelpful.
A pixel size is easier to follow.

Why do you always have to be so aggressive to new members? Google probably sent them here and they have no idea there is a newbie's guide (which is probably 30 minutes of reading). If you want to help people, help. Otherwise shut up.

You are a valued resource but ... just retract the fangs. Please.

Touchy late at night? Just stating the facts. Perhaps you're becoming snowflake and interpreting exclamation marks as aggressive! Besides, the OP still hasn't answered post 3 with a quality figure and is therefore wasting our time.

On my iPad, for example, when uploading or attaching an image file to an email or the forum, I'm offered various versions by file size:

1919DBF5-DAF6-4D04-84B6-02FA3C155B04.jpg

(For some images – particularly screen grabs – it cocks up the list and shows the same file size for all four versions, but that's just a bug and "small" is still a much smaller file size.)

Last edited:
Sorry, it was rain at the time
So given the apparent age of the installation it's possible water has got into something and it's therefore affecting the signal, though at 70+S and 100Q it's a bit odd. Have you watched the readings for a time, per post#3, not just a snapshot?

I will try to take an image when it pixelates but watch it for 10mins at different intervals and still has the same figures 70+S & 100Q. It has been an extremely wet start of the year in this area up to April but no problems with the picture quality. The trees are in full leaf, would that cause this type of disturbance.

I will try to take an image when it pixelates
When mine was pixelating quick press of the i button showed me poor quality and signal. In my case it was the tuners f the t2 failing. Plugged the same aerial in a new t2, works as a dream

The trees are in full leaf, would that cause this type of disturbance.
They can - sometimes - but you'd see the Quality drop from 100.

I will try to take an image when it pixelates but watch it for 10mins at different intervals
The quality reading can be very jumpy so it could read 100 for 10 seconds, you look down to grab a sip of coffee and then back and it's 'still' 100. But it could have dropped while you weren't looking. If the picture is 'reliably' :cautious: pixelating every number of seconds then you need to stare continuously at the reading for at least that long, preferably more. Not occasionally over 10 minutes.

When mine was pixelating quick press of the i button showed me poor quality and signal. In my case it was the tuners f the t2 failing. Plugged the same aerial in a new t2, works as a dream
Hi Thanks for your reply. What is tuners f the t2 failing? Did you purchase a new t2?

Back