HDR-fox-T2 poor signal strength

Channel 48 is unwatchable but BBC1 & 2 is fine at the moment

Attachments

• 48.JPG
    48.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 12
They can - sometimes - but you'd see the Quality drop from 100.

The quality reading can be very jumpy so it could read 100 for 10 seconds, you look down to grab a sip of coffee and then back and it's 'still' 100. But it could have dropped while you weren't looking. If the picture is 'reliably' :cautious: pixelating every number of seconds then you need to stare continuously at the reading for at least that long, preferably more. Not occasionally over 10 minutes.
Channel 48 unwatchable

Attachments

• 48.JPG
    48.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 9
Channel 48 unwatchable
OK, not just one mux. I had similar problems last year which it seems were just due to work on our transmitter. Went on intermittently for weeks. I wasted a lot of time and effort trying different aerial set-ups, etc.

You say you're on Angus:
This site gives info:
https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/planned-engineering-works

and according to that:
STV North | Angus | Main | Pixelation or flickering on some or all channels
which may (probably) explain(s) your problems.

(I think there is another site or maybe page on that one that gives more info with some timescales, but I can't remember now.)

I'd argue that the aerial is not mounted correctly as the pole passes through the X-shaped elements. Normal is for the cradle to be fixed to the very top of the pole and to clear the roof apex by a bit more than that install does.
Similar to this https://www.aerialsandtv.com/product/xb10k-aerial

But as it has worked fine for a long time perhaps there's some other explanation? Such as transmitter/antenna works at Angus (none Planned this week I note).

Wolfbane estimates 65 and 62dBuV/m for the PSBs/COMs. That aerial will have a gain of around 8-10dB in the current Angus frequencies- it is probably a C/D group but will work OK. Allow 3db loss for cable and termination and it should be 67-72 dBuV at a single receiver. Ideal level is 45-65 dBuV. So some potential for tuner overload.

Passive splitting would reduce that, of course; amplified distribution could easily make things worse. Your Antiference amp has +10dB gain and +17dB on the full output if needed for more outlets or a very, very long cable run to a set.

The amplifier also has a green led for the 12V supply to a masthead amplifier lit :eek:. Is there such a beast in the installation? The light would go off if direct connected to the aerial dipole (a DC short circuit), I believe.

Additionally, the 'Full' output appears to have a protective plastic cover on and not the supplied 75ohm termination plug :eek::eek: That missing attenuator can cause all sorts of 'funnies'... See https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/splitters-amps-and-diplexers#amplifier-terminators

But again it's all worked fine until a few weeks ago. So perhaps both are a red herring (or Arbroath smokie). ;)

Wet leaves can have a frequency dependent effect, as can trees simply coming into leaf and, later, falling... Leaf sizes can match the wavelengths of the signals causing attenuation and/or reflections.

Have you actually input the address into the Restore TV postcode checker to see if mobile interference is predicted?
A 5G pole/tower would likely affect the higher frequency ch48 more than any other (coupled with the C/D aerial rising gain picking up such frequencies more).

If the issue is only on 48 and it keeps occurring:
1) check signals with aerial by-passing the amplified distribution system to rule out overload
2) consider fitting a 5G blocking filter e.g. https://www.philex.com/product/50018pi/ between aerial and amplified distribution (although Restore TV provides such for free if in an affected location). Assuming that the Antiference amp isn't a fairly recent purchase and has one built in already.

NB both 1) and 2) may not be that simple if a masthead amplifier is in the circuit as that will lose power.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/ allows one to check for transmitter faults... None for Angus at the moment though.

I've had some Conversation comms with the OP and he's asked me to add that back. This is his 'post' from Friday (which would have been #23 in the thread):

Hi Thanks I did note problems with the Angus Tx along with many others throughout the country. Attached is channel 48 "Quest" that was displaying very poor S&Q yet it is playing on our old Sony Bravia with full signal and no pixilation? Don't understand.

I am unable to reply to your last message as it contains links and I am unable to reply using external links?

Attachments​

• Quest.JPG
    Quest.JPG
    387 KB · Views: 1

This was my reply, also on Friday:

Over the years I've seen a lot of people have the situation of the TV being ok but not the HDR. It could be the TV is more sensitive or has better error handling (Humax software is generally not well thought of) or it could be receiver modules ageing.
When this happened to us last year it was on the Aura that replaced our FOX, so even replacing yours with a new one might not fix it. You'll probably have to live with it for now - it's annoying as they don't give time scales.

The forum does have rules around new members posting links. We get various fruitcakes, spammers and crooks trying to gain something. It's a number of posts limit I think, but may be as high as 20 as the ne'er-do-wells know forums do this and make lots of short posts to try and get the door open.
You can select part of a post (eg omitting links) and then there should be a little reply box attached to the selection.

There are a couple more but not relevant to this.
He did ask if he can have the link ban lifted (unless I got that wrong and it's something else).

The OP should also consider whether he's getting crosstalk in the aerial patch lead from (for example) the HDMI cable.

The OP should also consider whether he's getting crosstalk in the aerial patch lead from (for example) the HDMI cable.
From my experience a while back I think it's futile considering anything until the transmission information stops saying pixelation and breakup is possible.

I wasted a lot of time and effort, and some risk up ladders, to get back to exactly what I had before and no problems since. I should have ignored all the well intentioned advice and waited.

From my experience a while back I think it's futile considering anything until the transmission information stops saying pixelation and breakup is possible.
Nothing planned this week as I stated clearly in my post yesterday. In any case there's only one mux affected. An Arqiva owned one. 3dB down on the PSBs. I believe that planned work 'message' relates to main-reserve antenna switching as the duplicated transmit kit is otherwise pretty much glitch-free during A/B changeovers (transmitter / fibre feeds). It may also be testing of the mains switching and backup generators (if they support the COMs as well as the BBC PSBs)?

I've never encountered perfect reception with S as low as 30 when I was out caravanning. But have had perfectly good HD reception with a Q less that 100 (DVB-t2 modulation) not true for SD (DVB-T), if I recall things correctly. But that's my experience and others' mileage may vary.
Certainly on satellite the Foxsat-HDR Q is not always at 100, depending on the transponder tuned in despite providing good reception ;).

Reception through trees will often give issues and may be the root (pun intended) problem here?
I'd be interested to see some results of S/Q measurements via the amp cf direct connected to the aerial input.

Nothing planned this week as I stated clearly in my post yesterday
Yes, but his most recent problem reports are from last week when there was a warning about problems. If he isn't having problems currently then that would certainly point to transmitter issues. I got badly burnt by these transmitter works last year and I don't want to put someone else through that useless exercise.

Yes, but his most recent problem reports are from last week when there was a warning about problems. If he isn't having problems currently then that would certainly point to transmitter issues. I got badly burnt by these transmitter works last year and I don't want to put someone else through that useless exercise.
We'll have to agree to disagree on your issues being transmitter planned maintenance work related. But I'm not suggesting any expensive receive antenna related work for this poster... at least not yet. ;)

As usual, there is not much sign of information or results of suggested tests coming from the OP.
I'd argue that the aerial is not mounted correctly as the pole passes through the X-shaped elements.
Indeed. It's very bad. Too close to the roof as well. Why did they not put it on the top of the pole and jack the whole thing up clear, as there is plenty below the bottom bracket doing not a lot!

Sorry for the delay. I have a Disco 3 that requires brakes for MOT then I shall post my findings

Received a reply from Restore TV

Dear Tommy,

Thank you for answering our diagnostic questions. As advised in our previous email there is a mast activated in your area which may be contributing towards the disruption you are having with your free to view TV.

I have now requested for a filter to be sent to you, our filters are sent by Royal Mail so it should be with you in the next 5 workings days. If you have any issues while or after fitting please call us on 0808 13 13 800 free from UK landlines and mobiles. Our opening hours are Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 5pm. We are closed Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Kind regards,

Emma
Restore TV Support Team

I'd argue that the aerial is not mounted correctly as the pole passes through the X-shaped elements. Normal is for the cradle to be fixed to the very top of the pole and to clear the roof apex by a bit more than that install does.
The angle of the shot can make it slightly misleading.

I am confident that it would look similar to this if taken from a different position and camera slant:
1718314716482.png

Back