HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Hi

Wonder if any one can help. Purchased the edimax ew 711 uan dongle. Connected to both front and back green light came on but nothing else. Settings for Internet show wi fi greyed out. The pvr has .29 version software installed. Tried switching off and on but nothing has changed.

Any ideas on getting it to be recognised by the pvr.

Thanks
You say wi-fi is greyed out, which presumably means that the device can't see *any* wi-fi networks in the vicinity. I agree that you should check out the dongle on a PC or laptop first. Perhaps also do so right next to the Humax box in case there is a wi-fi blind spot there (unlikely). If the Edimax does work with another wi-fi client, the problem obviously lies elsewhere. You clearly have no opportunity of transferring the details of your wireless network (SSID, type of security and passphrase) to the Humax if wi-fi is greyed out...

Still no joy: I had hoped that after another factory reset (done in accordance with precise instructions from Karl Harrison at Humax) following Wednesday's Freeview retune my issue would be resolved. Oddly enough, although the Humax box didn't reconnect automatically after the first time it had been on standby, it did do so after the second and third times. But my joy was premature, as I was back to square one the next time, on the next day: "Network disconnected", and go into Settings to reconnect (all the details of my network are displayed, but the software doesn't apply them and requires a manual "Apply" as before).

Meanwhile I have a new laptop on my wireless network and it connects instantly every time...

I give up.
The latest on this is that about 1 in 5 or 6 times the Humax DOES now connect to my wireless network automatically on boot-up, but mostly it does not. It really does look like I'll have to install the custom software and wireless helper, or wait for the next "official" Humax update. (I have redownloaded and reinstalled the .29 software, in case it was somehow corrupted, but no change.)

Thanks for your replies. No cable connected. Will try dongle in laptop to see if its that. Assume green light means nothing as its illuminated ?
Whatever you do, do not plug it into a Mac. The Mac version of the driver will corrupt the EEPROM of the dongle. The dongle will continue to work on Windows or Mac but it will look like a camera to the Humax and won't be recognised. It is not easy to reverse.

Hi,

Just to add to the list, I picked up a LG wireless dongle (model PW-DN427) for about 7 quid and it seems to work fine...

Code:
humax# ifconfig wlan0
wlan0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          inet addr:172.16.11.99  Bcast:172.16.11.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST DYNAMIC  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:18436 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2161 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:3572399 (3.4 Mb)  TX bytes:256067 (250.0 Kb)

EDIT: I seem to get alot more crashes. I ran a couple of days back on wired ethernet and the crashing stopped. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.,

Encouraged by this thread I spent £7.55 at Amazon on the Tenda W311U+ RT3070 chipset to successfully network my T2 running 1.02.32_mod_2.17.

Hello,

I have just bought the EW-7711UAn for my Humax HDR Fox T2 but it does not find any wireless networks when I click the Wifi Lan option in settings. The wifi option is enabled but even if I manually enter the name and password my wifi is not found. Any help much apreciated.

Hello,

I have just bought the EW-7711UAn for my Humax HDR Fox T2 but it does not find any wireless networks when I click the Wifi Lan option in settings. The wifi option is enabled but even if I manually enter the name and password my wifi is not found. Any help much apreciated.

You've definitely unplugged the ethernet cable? From what I can remember, wireless doesn't work if you have this plugged in. You could also plug in the wireless dongle, boot up the box, and telnet in. If you run "ifconfig -a" you should see a "wlan0" interface if it has detected the wireless device and got a DHCP IP address.

Personally I found wireless to be too unreliable on the Humax, so I resorted to Powerline with ethernet. Ethernet on the Humax is very stable.

Hello,

Hi first one I had did similar if I recall, tried it in a laptop and it did not work (don't try it on a MAC) assumed it was a dud and sent it back. Bought one off amazon and it worked fine. Use it with a fibre broadband setup and its fine.

If it won't work on a laptop or computer then it maybe u/s? Sorry can't be any more help

Newer versions of the EW-7711 are reported to use a different chip-set to the older models, specifically the versions with Win8 logo on box are reported NOT to work with the Humax, notes HERE

Thanks for the quick responses. No ethernet is used as my router is upstairs and Humax downstairs. FYI I installed custom firmware 2.19 I think, don't know if that will affect it? Will have a look tonight to see if it had Windows 8 on the box as am not sure. I only really wanted the wifi to utilise the remote schedule plugin but it's not essential. If I can't get this one to work I'll try with the official dongle otherwise I'll leave it.

Rather than shell out on polluting HomePlugs, you might as well buy a wireless client access point. Much better (and cheaper than Devolo).
Something like a TPLink WR743ND or its brothers (you get a switch built in as well which allows multiple devices to be connected).

Hello,

Make sure the access point's SSID doesn't include spaces in it's name. I found I had to replace all spaces with '_' for the hummy to see it.

IIRC the Humax is also blind to some higher channel numbers so maybe test on e.g. channel 1. Due to the arrival of a Smart TV I've installed a Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ with 3 ports, but for now my Humax is still running happily on the cheap RT Wi-Fi dongle I got off ebay.

Thanks for the quick responses. No ethernet is used as my router is upstairs and Humax downstairs. FYI I installed custom firmware 2.19 I think, don't know if that will affect it? Will have a look tonight to see if it had Windows 8 on the box as am not sure. I only really wanted the wifi to utilise the remote schedule plugin but it's not essential. If I can't get this one to work I'll try with the official dongle otherwise I'll leave it.
There are several different solutions, but if you just want a cheap dongle, the Tenda W311U+ is pretty good. £7.55 from Amazon plus postage (free postage if you add something else to take the total over £10). This new '+' version has a high gain antenna too. I've not tried the official Humax dongle, but I doubt it is worth the £25+ pricetag.

Edit: Oops, this dongle has already been suggested by TooDeep (see above) :oops:

Back