HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Slotph

Thanks for the info.

Looking at the Netgear manual it says it has WPS (Push 'n' Connect) which is supposed to be much more secure and takes the hassle out of setting up a wireless network. Since you have a Netgear dongle, that would support WPS as well and windows operating systems above Vista do also. When setting up a network WPS generates a new SSID and passkey.

I don't believe the HDR has this feature but am open to be corrected. Some Netgear Users have had problems with WPS (search http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30). WPS may be affecting your re-connection but I'm not an expert.

Martin
It isn't a Netgear dongle, but an Edimax. The Edimax dongle does theoretically support WPS, but the WPS button on it is so small as to be virtually useless and I had to input the passphrase into the HDR manually. And in my Netgear GUI, WPS is set to "Keep existing wireless settings" (the default) anyway, so it wouldn't generate a new SSID and passphrase. (I have Win7.) If the SSID and passphrase had changed, the Humax would *never* be able to connect, and nor would the wirelessly connected PC on my network.
Back to square 1...

Slopth

My reference to the Netgear dongle was in relation to your PC rather than the HDR and my question was pursuing whether you had used WPS to set up that connection in the first place and hence generated a difficult passkey. I should have made that clearer. And you are right if a connection is established once there shouldn't be a reason why it it should not do so again.

Not so much square one as down a snake.

Once I registered with a website with a 14 character password and it was accepted. Later when I tried to login in it did not let me until I shorted the password to 12 characters. Do you have a complicated password? Mine is 10 characters long with no special characters or hyphens.

However the best option for a solution is looking like default factory resets all round, possible check without security, and then a customised software option.

Sorry your problem has confounded us all.

Martin

Slopth

My reference to the Netgear dongle was in relation to your PC rather than the HDR and my question was pursuing whether you had used WPS to set up that connection in the first place and hence generated a difficult passkey. I should have made that clearer. And you are right if a connection is established once there shouldn't be a reason why it it should not do so again.

Not so much square one as down a snake.

Once I registered with a website with a 14 character password and it was accepted. Later when I tried to login in it did not let me until I shorted the password to 12 characters. Do you have a complicated password? Mine is 10 characters long with no special characters or hyphens.

However the best option for a solution is looking like default factory resets all round, possible check without security, and then a customised software option.

Sorry your problem has confounded us all.

Martin
One thing I suppose I could try is to use the Guest Network facility on my router, which would allow the Humax box to connect with no security. Will have a go when I have time, but I'm not holding my breath: if the Humax accepts my security passphrase after going into Settings, why should it not do so without going into Settings once it has been on standby?

My Edimax wifi stick arrived. Using channel 2 and wpa aes, works well. 1st time connection is a bit fiddly, I think it matters if you use upper or lower case. Plus the system is not brilliant about giving feedback as to whether correct password went in.
Working now and BBC iPlayer quality is really impressive and smooth. With .29 firmware, Internet radio is also working fine.

It has been reported that channels 1 to 4 cannot be accessed. Has this been cured by firmware updates, anyone?

My Edimax wifi stick arrived. Using channel 2 and wpa aes, works well. 1st time connection is a bit fiddly, I think it matters if you use upper or lower case. Plus the system is not brilliant about giving feedback as to whether correct password went in.
Working now and BBC iPlayer quality is really impressive and smooth. With .29 firmware, Internet radio is also working fine.
So presumably you don't have my problem that, once the Humax box has been on standby, you have to go back into Settings to reconnect to the TV Portal? (I too have the .29 firmware, and agree about the iPlayer quality and ability to access Internet radio.)

Actually, one thing occurs to me re my issue of having to reconnect manually to the wireless network every time the Humax box has been on standby: HD TV on the BBC iPlayer is also dodgy, as there doesn't seem to be enough buffering, so it keeps freezing. The router (802.11n) is set to 145 Mbps, but the Humax box usually reports that it is connected at 65 or 58 Mbps, sometimes less. The most I've seen is 65 Mbps. Presumably that's a function of signal strength (the router is one floor higher up than the Humax/Edimax). Should I be getting a higher speed? I thought only about 15 Mbps was needed for HD TV.

Another idea I've had: is there anything to stop one having two routers at a time connected to one's ISP? If not, I have an old wired-only router which I could set up in the same room as the Humax box and connect to it with an Ethernet cable. (I am aware of the Homeplug option but don't really want to go down that road.)

You can use your spare router on your network as a switch, but you have to disable the DNS and gateway and redirect them to the "live" router. Similarly if the spare had WiFi - you could set it up as a range extender.

HiDef iPlayer only requires about 2.6Mbps. HiDef broadcast (complete with unwanted padding) comes in at about 12Mbps.

You can use your spare router on your network as a switch, but you have to disable the DNS and gateway and redirect them to the "live" router. Similarly if the spare had WiFi - you could set it up as a range extender.

HiDef iPlayer only requires about 2.6Mbps. HiDef broadcast (complete with unwanted padding) comes in at about 12Mbps.
Two routers probably not a useful option then.
I've now tried setting up a guest network (a facility offered by my router) with a different SSID and NO security. The Humax box refuses to connect to it ("Connection failed"). If I ask it to show all available networks, it doesn't show any at all, and fails to recognize the guest network when I enter its SSID and confirm no security. The wirelessly connected PC on my network finds lots of other networks (next door etc.), though the signals are much weaker than mine. The Humax then defaults to displaying my original network on selecting "Configure Wi-Fi" but requires pressing Apply to actually connect to it. I seem to remember seeing a list of networks displayed with their strengths when I first set up the Humax to connect to my network, but not now (why not?). Perhaps a factory default would produce the list again?

Does this clarify the issue at all?

Yes! The wirelessly connected PC on the network sees it and can connect to it.
Still no joy: I had hoped that after another factory reset (done in accordance with precise instructions from Karl Harrison at Humax) following Wednesday's Freeview retune my issue would be resolved. Oddly enough, although the Humax box didn't reconnect automatically after the first time it had been on standby, it did do so after the second and third times. But my joy was premature, as I was back to square one the next time, on the next day: "Network disconnected", and go into Settings to reconnect (all the details of my network are displayed, but the software doesn't apply them and requires a manual "Apply" as before).

Meanwhile I have a new laptop on my wireless network and it connects instantly every time...

I give up.

I had this problem too. Installing the custom firmware and the wireless-helper package seems to have fixed it.

Hi

Wonder if any one can help. Purchased the edimax ew 711 uan dongle. Connected to both front and back green light came on but nothing else. Settings for Internet show wi fi greyed out. The pvr has .29 version software installed. Tried switching off and on but nothing has changed.

Any ideas on getting it to be recognised by the pvr.

Thanks

Do you really mean 711? I imagine not. Presuming you have bought a compatible dongle, if the WiFi options remain unavailable I would regard it as faulty.

Make sure the Ethernet cable is unplugged if you have one otherwise the wireless won't come up.

Definitely odd - the green light at least indicates power being received.

No cable connected.

It's a quirk/design feature that the Ethernet cable must be unplugged during boot or it won't bother initialising the wireless at all. If you install the custom firmware you will at least be able to see if the device is being seen by the operating system but definitely worth trying in a PC/laptop first.

Back