HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

FWIW after updating the firmware to 1.02.29 my cheapo ebay Dongle (q.v.) seems to have stopped disconnecting itself after going on standby, and it connects to the portal next time without needing to nail the settings in manually. On a separate note, I ditched my TP-Link wireless range extender. I had to return it to preserve my sanity. I found it very unreliable. Having changed to channel 13 the wireless seems to be working OK. Wish I could access other web TV channels though...

Hello again Alan, I don't think we've seen you for a while. "Things Every..." is worth a look if you've not visited, I have been expanding it steadily.

Interesting to note your dongle observations, not sure whether the correlation with .29 is a red herring. I have been trying to play with a TP-LINK TL-WR702N with the idea of using it as a simple (and cheap) router with WiFi capability so I can plug it into a Humax Ethernet port and provide a WiFi access point to connect to with an iPad (in the absence of other networking) - but I have had to send it back for a replacement because I couldn't detect a WiFi signal or access the control panel via wired.

Reading that someone was trying to tether their phone I thought " I wonder........" so I set my HTC One X in the tethering mode and lo and behold my humax connected to it. No reason why not I suppose. Not really something I'll ever use except my HTC speed is better than my broadband. So if you haven't got a broadband connection but do have a smart phone you can tether it. You still need a dongle of course. Pretty useless piece of information really. I'll try usb tether after see if that works. :D

FWIW after updating the firmware to 1.02.29 my cheapo ebay Dongle (q.v.) seems to have stopped disconnecting itself after going on standby, and it connects to the portal next time without needing to nail the settings in manually. On a separate note, I ditched my TP-Link wireless range extender. I had to return it to preserve my sanity. I found it very unreliable. Having changed to channel 13 the wireless seems to be working OK. Wish I could access other web TV channels though...
Unfortunately 1.02.29 *is* a red herring as far as I am concerned. Using my Edimax EW-7711UAn dongle I still have to go into Settings to reconnect to my wireless network every time after the HDR-Fox T2 has been on standby. Does this ebay dongle have the same chipset as the Edimax and the Humax ones?
The other wireless client on my network (a PC with a Netgear adapter) runs through all available channels before (invariably) selecting Channel 1. Did I read somewhere here that Channel 1 is a problem for the Humax box? But presumably it would then simply pick a different channel?

But presumably it would then simply pick a different channel?
I don't think so (at least on the kit I am familiar with). The Humax is the client so it can only use the channel that the router or access point is using. Try a different channel at the other end of the link.

I'm using the same series dongle, but the USN version.
Just before the 19th, I had problems where I couldn't get a link connection (manual or DHCP for IP etc).
After beating my brains for a while, I changed the router to which it was connecting from an Edimax to a Netgear DG834G, which is what it had been before I started changing things a couple of days before.
Suddenly the dongle started to connect again, and has continued to do so.
I have no idea whether this is coincidence, or someone local was doing something which interfered with the wireless operations.
I did find that I could only get stable settings while the wireless was refusing to work, by changing to an ethernet connection in order to settle the IP address and associated bits.

Derek

It has been reported the the Humax won't use channels 1 to 4, so try the others
My router's default channel setting is "auto", and it seems to default to Channel 1. The next thing for me to try is to pick a channel between 5 and 13 manually and see whether that will solve the problem of the PVR losing the wireless connection after being on standby. Will report back.

My router's default channel setting is "auto", and it seems to default to Channel 1. The next thing for me to try is to pick a channel between 5 and 13 manually and see whether that will solve the problem of the PVR losing the wireless connection after being on standby. Will report back.
Alas! Tried setting the router manually to Channel 8, but no difference: the PVR still loses wireless connectivity after being on standby. Back to square one.

Are you hiding your SSID by any chance? Not that it definitely makes a difference, but it might. I am convinced there is a router element to problems like this.

Are you hiding your SSID by any chance? Not that it definitely makes a difference, but it might. I am convinced there is a router element to problems like this.
Have tried it hidden and not hidden (it's not hidden now) and it makes no difference. Mysterious.

I have an Edimax EW-7711UAn working with my BT Home Hub 2, normally on Channel 7, with no problems. My hub power-saves overnight and my HDR has no problems with that.

Don't know if it's been asked, but is the box going into power-saving standby?

Martin

Just bought a the Edimax EW-7711UMN from Amazon for £5.79 and it worked right away. A worthwhile saving over the 27 quid Humax want.

I have an Edimax EW-7711UAn working with my BT Home Hub 2, normally on Channel 7, with no problems. My hub power-saves overnight and my HDR has no problems with that.

Don't know if it's been asked, but is the box going into power-saving standby?

Martin
No, it's not power-saving standby, as the TV's aerial input is daisy-chained through the PVR. Probably Black Hole's suspicion about a router setting is correct, but I thought I'd tried everything now...

No, it's not power-saving standby, as the TV's aerial input is daisy-chained through the PVR. Probably Black Hole's suspicion about a router setting is correct, but I thought I'd tried everything now...
Just a thought that suddenly occurs to me: the Edimax EW-7711UAn dongle comes with a software CD, but - elementary, my dear Watson - the HDR-T2 Fox can't read from a CD, so I haven't tried to install the Edimax software. Should I have plugged the dongle into my PC and then installed the software? Would that write network data to the dongle? Or is all the necessary software/firmware already in the PVR?
I suspect that I have missed some very obvious, elementary step...
To recap, the Fox is not on power-saving standby; it makes no difference if the router does or does not broadcast its SSID, or is set to allow or disallow UPnP, or to select channels automatically or is set to a fixed channel (such as 8). On going into Settings -> System -> Internet -> Configure wi-fi it displays my network's SSID, security (WPA2-PSK) with asterisks for the password, and connects in a few seconds on clicking Apply. But once it has been on standby, I have to go into Settings again to reconnect (it shows Network disconnected).
I've just noticed that if I select Configure wi-fi as such it does not show a list of other networks within range, but asks for mine to be entered.
More ideas very welcome.

No, the installation software is pointless - it only configures a Windows PC to use the dongle, not the other way around.

To help us along with this issue can you please tell us what your wireless Router is. someone may have experience of that particular device.

If the only other wireless client on your network is a PC it may have extra software that satisfies your Router's operating system but which is missing on the Humax.

Assuming you loaded v1.02.29, did you do a default reset afterwards/before?
Have you tried fixed IP addresses?
Have you experimented with an ethernet connection?

Martin

To help us along with this issue can you please tell us what your wireless Router is. someone may have experience of that particular device.

If the only other wireless client on your network is a PC it may have extra software that satisfies your Router's operating system but which is missing on the Humax.

Assuming you loaded v1.02.29, did you do a default reset afterwards/before?
Have you tried fixed IP addresses?
Have you experimented with an ethernet connection?

Martin
The router is a Netgear N300 dating from July this year. The PC wireless client has a Netgear adapter (802.11g, not n) with its supplied software. It worked OK with the previous Thomson router.
I did a factory reset on installing 1.02.28, but will try again with 1.02.29. I haven't as yet tried fixed IP addresses. An Ethernet connection is not practical as the router is on a different floor from the PVR and too far away. HomePlug might be an option.
If all else fails, I'll try the custom firmware ( but the warranty has another year to run).
Will try the default reset again when I have some time.

Back