HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

There's quite a comprehensive list of Ralink RT3070 chipset dongles here which should probably work with the T2.

Bad news.

Had chance to play about with my Edimax Ew-7711utn 11n 150Mbps Mini-size Usb Adapter a bit more today but found the wifi kept losing connection with my wireless router.

It might just be my setup but the dongle was plugged into the front rather than the back giving it a near line of site to the router which is in the same room.

Bad news.

Had chance to play about with my Edimax Ew-7711utn 11n 150Mbps Mini-size Usb Adapter a bit more today but found the wifi kept losing connection with my wireless router.

It might just be my setup but the dongle was plugged into the front rather than the back giving it a near line of site to the router which is in the same room.

Can you provide an update if you manage to get it working rogdog? I've just ordered the Edimax dongle from Amazon and don't know whether to cancel the order or not :confused: Cheers.

Sorry but you might be better of cancelling your order for now as the earliest I will get chance to do any testing is Wednesday/Thursday evening

Bad news.

I've had a similar problem with the Humax Wi-Fi dongle.

Re: Edimax usb dongle

1) I have just copied a 3GB file via FTP from the Humax to my laptop via wireless dongle without any disconnections. Connection seems solid
2) I think the Portal works OK as well but not had chance to test fully as TV is in use at the moment.
3) I have lots of disconnections when trying to stream stuff via wifi from my NAS box running Twonkymedia server V6.
4) Streaming from my NAS box via hardwired network connection is stable with no disconnections

It seems to me that the wifi connection is stable but there is an issue with the mediastreaming via wifi.

I just need to find a time when the TV is not in use so I do some more thorough testing

Apologies to almo4. I have just managed to found the problem to my network disconnections.

After reseting the media server running on my NAS box I haven't experienced any more network drop-outs.

Wasn't going to have the chance to test tonight but my Mrs went to bed at 10pm so I have had the last 1.5 hours to play around. Watched iPlayer for 15mins without a drop-out and have currently been watching a HD video via the NAS for the last 25mins.

No probs rogdog, thanks for all the updates. It's good to know that such a cheap alternative to the official dongle works well.

I have updated my first post #10

[UPDATE]
08/02/2011
I have (now) successfully performed some short (15minute) tests using this dongle. I've yet to watch a whole programme/film via wifi. I will update this post when I have had chance.

If you are thinking of purchasing one you should also look at the alternative Edimax dongles metioned by 'FifthHorseman' especially is you wifi signal is not that good.

Would this dongle work on the HDR-T2 does anybody know? It would be helpful to know before I went out and bought one.
Edimax EW-7711USN WLAN nLite High Gain USB Adapter.

Technical Details

• Complies with wireless 802.11b/g standards
  • Compatible with wireless 802.11n standard with data rate up to 150Mbps
  • Increases wireless coverage 3 times further
  • Rotatable & Detachable 3dBi Antenna
  • Supports 64/128-bit WEP, WPA , WPA2 encryption and WPS-compatible

Would this dongle work on the HDR-T2 does anybody know? It would be helpful to know before I went out and bought one.
Edimax EW-7711USN WLAN nLite High Gain USB Adapter.

Technical Details

• Complies with wireless 802.11b/g standards
  • Compatible with wireless 802.11n standard with data rate up to 150Mbps
  • Increases wireless coverage 3 times further
  • Rotatable & Detachable 3dBi Antenna
  • Supports 64/128-bit WEP, WPA , WPA2 encryption and WPS-compatible
This is the one that I've ordered off Amazon, it's been dispatched. Once it arrives I'll post an update. But it appears to be the same as the one that rogdog has, just with the detachable antenna :)

I can see no reason why it would not work (but don't quote me!).

The whole range of EW-7711Uxx dongles have the same RT3070 chipset and use identical driver packages

Linux - http://edimax.co.uk/images/Image/Driver_Utility/Wireless/NIC/2009/RT3070_Linux_STA_v2.0.1.0.tar.zip
Windows - http://edimax.co.uk/images/Image/Dr.../EW-7711Uxx/EW-7711Uxx-driver-for-Windows.zip
Mac - http://edimax.co.uk/images/Image/Dr...7711Uxx/EW-7711Uxx_Driver-Utility-for-Mac.zip

It looks like the Linux driver is actually a generic RT3070 driver and I would suggest that most (if not all) RT3070 based dongles will work

raydon said:
There's quite a comprehensive list of Ralink RT3070 chipset dongles here which should probably work with the T2.

Tried my Belkin dongle,it doesn't work.Can someone tell me what you can watch on the TV Portal,is it worth bothering with.Cheers Cumbrian

Thanks Brian,don't think i will bother with it until theres more on it.Cheers

Brian i was thinking of going down the Home Plug route,which ones do you use.Cheers

Brian i was thinking of going down the Home Plug route,which ones do you use.Cheers
I am using 85 Mbps Advent Home Plugs (from PC World) to connect my HDR-FOX T2 and Technika SmartBox 8320HD to my network. I went to PC World to get another one of these at the weekend, to connect my HD-FOX T2 to my network, but found that they don't stock this brand any more. The other makes that they had in stock were much more expensive so I didn't bother.

I was in Maplin later, and ended up buying a Netricity 85 Mbps single Home Plug (Maplin code: A66HB) which is now connected to my HD-FOX T2 and working well. All four units seem to work together well, with no setting up or installation required. Something which really IS plug and play.:D

Back