HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Try logging onto your homehub 2, click on A-Z (top right hand corner), click 'devices,show connected' then click on the connected wireless device. The connection speed in Mbps should be displayed.

Hi Rogdog,

Found the connection speed on the Hub, thanks. It states the speed to Humax is 54Mbps. This is same figure is displayed for some other devices (e.g. 2 laptops) on my network. However, I believe these figures must be theoretical cos the same figures (54Mbps) are still displayed even though the laptops are disconnected. Is there a way of checking the actual speed during use or am I missing something?

I *think* it is actual speed rather than theoretical. Mine is currently displaying 24Mbps even though both my wireless devices are capable of higher.

One novice-type question if I may - people sometimes refer to their connection speed in terms of strength in bars, or even quote physical data. Where is this information available? I assumed it must be via the router, but I can't find this info on my BT Hub. Thanks

It's on the T2 somewhere in the menus, can't access the tv at the moment to check where

I can't check either as my Humax is connected via CAT5 cable rather than wireless. Thought I had seen it in the Humax menu though when I had been testing my wireless dongle.

Also not so sure about the HomeHub connection status. Just checked again on mine. It says my laptop is connected at 24Mbps but my laptop states 65Mbps!!

2hg8fpy.jpg
md2lvq.jpg

These dongles are based on the Ralink RT3070 chipset. (Ralink software is supplied with the Humax dongle).
So, any dongle using the same chipset should work with the T2. If you have one of these lying around then give it a try. You must have the dongle plugged into either USB port and have no ethernet cable connected for the WiFi setup option to be become active in the System Menu.

Please report your successes, or failures in the thread here, for the benefit of others. :D

Have a newish Belkin router which works fine with my laptop. I've tried using a NetGear N150 Wireless USB adaptor in both front and back ports of the T2 without success - and the Wifi setting is greyed out. Connecting with a LAN cable works fine, and the speed is good. Shall I give up with the NetGear adapter or is there anything else I can try?

I have bought an Edimax EW-7711USn dongle. I've plugged it in the front USB port and set it up to my home wireless network. It is connecting fine and I am getting a reasonable 48 - 54Mbps.

However, when I try to get on Humax TV Portal, I get this message:
"an error occurred whilst launching the application http://www.humaxtvportal.com/"

Can anybody help me out with this?

Have a newish Belkin router which works fine with my laptop. I've tried using a NetGear N150 Wireless USB adaptor in both front and back ports of the T2 without success - and the Wifi setting is greyed out. Shall I give up with the NetGear adapter or is there anything else I can try?

Only dongles based on the same chip set as the Humax dongle have any chance of working so I guess the conclusion is that the NetGear uses a different chip set.

Just spotted the following @ http://www.avforums.com/forums/14174017-post408.html

exepress said:
An update: A few weeks ago I mentioned that I''d bought a £10-ish wifi dongle which plugged into the front USB socket of my HDR FOX T2 and played iPlayer stuff really well. Soon after, I found that the multiplex with channels Dave, Dave Ja Vu, E4+1 etc. were missing from my Programme Guide. I wondered whether Freeview had stopped broadcasting Dave. Anyway I looked around the internet to see if anyone else had a similar problem. Found a site ukfree.tv and got some great advice. Apparently a stray RF analogue signal can knock out a digital multiplex. I tried switching off various nearby boxes and re-scanning. No luck UNTIL I unplugged the wifi dongle. Multiplex back again. So if anyone finds the same problem, only plug in your dongle when you want to access iPlayer and don't leave it plugged in all the time!

I've replaced my 9200 with an HDR T2 today and ordered Rogdogs recommended dongle thanks for all the info.

Roll on April 10 when I get HD freeview

I bought the EW-7711UTn and tried it in my HDR-T2 last night. Plugged directly in to the rear USB socket it got no WiFi signal. However, it comes with a USB extension cable which is about 5in long and, importantly, is bendable. I connected the dongle to the rear USB port using the extension cable, which I then bent upwards so that the dongle is peeking out above the top of the box. In that configuration it connected to my 802.11g wireless router with no problem.

The portal works over the wireless connection, but it does seem noticably slower than over the wired connection. According to the Humax the WiFi connection is running at 54Mbps. I'm not sure whether to leave the WiFi dongle in place, or go back to the wired connection. If I keep the dongle on the Humax then I could plug the cable in to my Sony TV and at least be able to stream to that as well as the Humax.

I bought a Sweex RT3070 150N dongle (£8+p&p) tried my other 3 dongle and still i get no accress to wifi always greyed out! I have upgraded to FHTCP 1.02.07 and installed dongle after turn off using switch at the back and no luck! my T2 is too far away from router to uses wired connection. Should i try to get connection via cable 1st to setup access to router or is it purely dongle manufacture driver issue from humax!
Over all v happy with t2 bar i am the last area in UK to get HDfreeview :( and no wifi so far

Madmax if you are having trouble with the wireless connection why don't you buy some powerline adapters. I have 200MB adapters and they work fine, you can pick some up on ebay from old BT vision kit, or I think ebuyer sell tham for about £30.

i've not been following this thread, but has anyone who has powerline adapters, bought a dongle (because its was a new toy), and then reverted back to the adapter

I've read right through this thread with interest. Now that it's dormant it probably means that everyone is now connected okay.
I've plugged in an Edimax EW-7711UAn (£10.99, Amazon) into the USB socket on the back, and after what seemed an eternity, I'm now connected to my Netgear router and can get i-player with no problem.
Now, I see that some folk have been able to transfer data between their T2 and a PC, though I'm not clear if that's via a wireless connection, or homeplugs.

I'm pretty good at simple computer stuff, but most definitely struggling with the concept of connecting devices wirelessly, so can someone help me by explaining, blow by blow, how to get my PC to talk to my T2 wirelessly, and exactly what info can be exchanged?
I suspect I'm not the only one wondering how to do this, so I apologise if this turns into a major topic and I should have started a new thread, or especially if it's already covered somewhere else that I've not found yet!
John H

I use a wireless dongle (as detailed in this thread). Make sure that you turn on 'media sharing' on the Humax box in the settings. This should auto-configure your router to allow all the signals through by using UPnP. If you have any problems with this, then check out the manual/FAQs for your router. But you really shouldn't need to worry about it and it should all happen automatically for you.

I detailed on the 'new firmware' thread how I set-up the program called XBMC to watch stuff on my PC.
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/new-firmware-available-with-media-server-feature.299/page-8#post-3888

I had to fiddle a little with my PC to get it to work, detailed here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/new-firmware-available-with-media-server-feature.299/page-7#post-3852. But I've now set up my Desktop and laptop (both Win7) and my missus's netbook (WinXP) and all 3 work without any problems.

Speedsport, basically it doesn't matter how you connect the Humax to your network - hard wire, powerline, or USB WiFi. Whatever way you do it, the Humax shows up as a network device and you access it by FTP.

If you enable media sharing (a new option with the latest update), any other device on the network that understands DLNA protocol can access non-HiDef recordings, which the Humax will obligingly decrypt and stream to the DLNA client. However, the general experience seems to be that this is a little tricky (see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/new-firmware-available-with-media-server-feature.299/).

Using FTP gets you file-level access, but this is pretty useless except for back-up purposes because the files are ALL encrypted on the Humax's drive - UNLESS you run the modified firmware. For more hand-holding see my topic http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/black-holes-trail-guide-to-hdr-fox-t2-hacking.306/.

Back