HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Have just purchased the HDR Fox T2 but have had no luck with the wi-fi connection.

The Humax itself already had firmware v1.02.20 installed and using the previously mentioned list, detailing adaptors using Ralink RT3070 chipsets (found here http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/WDTV_Live_Supported_Adapters) I bought a Belkin F6D4050 v2.

The dongle will not work with my Humax regardless of whether the front or rear USB slot is used; with or without a USB extension lead; inserted whilst the Humax is off, in standby or on. The "wi-fi connection" option on the Humax menu remains "greyed out" and the USB Dongle itself steadfastly refuses to spring into life etc. The dongle works fine when inserted in my PC and happily connects with the router (Netgear DG834GT) - as does every other wi-fi enabled item that I introduce such as Knidle; iPhone; laptops etc. Distance from router to humax is less than 10 feet, so I don't think that is an issue either!

Before I purchase one of the Edimax dongles mentioned earlier in this thread - EW-7711UAn; EW-7711USn or EW-7711UTn; would anyone care to offer any advice regarding connecting with the Belkin? Thanks!

Another quick google search suggests no.
If you read the first post it will tell you that the dongle needs to have the railink rt3070 chipset inside.

A quick search on google leads me to think the Belkin v2 uses RT2870, so not compatible.
Its v1 that uses RT3070.
It shouldn't be too hard to add support for RT2870 to the Humax. The Humax software just uses the generic wireless library for configuration so it's just a question of compiling the right kernel module.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort though, there are enough cheap RT3070 dongles around.

Yeah i think its been raised before about compiling drivers, but as you say, might not be worth the effort when the edimax dongles are only a few quid.

Hi.

I have a HDR Fox T2 1TB and decided to buy a Edimax EW-7711UAN adapter to wirelessly link my Humax to my router (Netgear DGN2200), even though my router is only about 2 metres from my Humax. I have been using an ethernet cable which worked flawlessly, but decided to try the wireless adapter to save on a trawling cable around the room.

I've been using the wireless adapter for about 2 weeks and I've found it to be quite inconsistent. Sometimes I can watch an iplayer programme fine, other times the program will stop at a random point (I'm guessing due to a drop in wireless signal?) and I have to restart the iplayer program from the beginning, as I can't see a way to fast-forward on iplayer. Also, I use my Humax to connect to my media server to watch films and downloaded TV shows. Again, works flawlessly on the cable, but programs/films will fail when using the wireless USB device.

My initial though was that 150mbps might not be enough to support streaming films and tv and maybe I could try a 300mbps wireless dongle, but from what I can see, none of the Edimax devices of 300mbps use the Ralink RT3070 chipset.

Any thoughts?

No issues with my wifi on the HD at all. No drop outs whatsoever.
I would check the logs of your router to see if that can pinpoint any issues.

The skip forward/skip back buttons do 5 min steps in iPlayer, but you have to be patient.

With the MSP, you can leave the Hummy to play the programme to itself if you like (it downloads and buffers at network speed), then use the web controls to save the buffered file as a recording in its own right and play it as per any other recording.

Well an Edimax EW-7612UAn DIDN'T work - bought because it was black, rather than the white EW-7711UAn as I wanted to fit it to the front, not back, of the Humax. So I had to stick the EW-7711UAn I already had in the back (white aerial on the front would have looked naff) and it worked straight away. But I need the high gain antenna because the wireless signla near our TV is poor, hmmm. So, anyone found a black hi-gain dongle that works?

That did cross my mind lol - but having played about, it seems I get no better result on screen whether the dongle is in the front or the back, so the white one's at the back of the hummy, and the black ones now in my laptop (crappy Dell card has never worked properly, a "known fault").

2hg8fpy.jpg
md2lvq.jpg

With the release of the new firmware which supports wifi LAN connections, I see no reason not to post this information.

As far as I can ascertain the official Humax dongle is a rebadged Intellinet 150N model 524438.
See the pictures above for a comparison.

These dongles are based on the Ralink RT3070 chipset. (Ralink software is supplied with the Humax dongle).
So, any dongle using the same chipset should work with the T2. If you have one of these lying around then give it a try. You must have the dongle plugged into either USB port and have no ethernet cable connected for the WiFi setup option to be become active in the System Menu.

Please report your successes, or failures in the thread here, for the benefit of others. :D

I've just joined this site as I have totally failed to get the wi fi to work on my HDR Fox T2. I think I've tried everything but I would really appreciate any further avenues to look at. Bit of background. My Belkin Router is upstairs, it works fine for other wi fi devices like my laptop, blu ray (can watch things like i player on that) and printer. I bought an Humax W-Lan Stick. I've plugged it into the front and back USBs of the Humax, tried every 'security type' in the 'configure wi fi' section of the menu but still get no joy. Each time, I still end up with it not being able to connect to the network. I assume the Humax dongle works as it has a solid green light on it that flashes when it is 'connecting to network' and likewise on my router, there is a light on it indicating that something has tried but failed to connect. Each time in the tv screen I get a 'failed, check you settings and try again' message.

The only other thing I can think of was that when I first bought the dongle, I plugged it into my laptop and put the disk that came with it in the laptop as well. Reason for doing all of that was because all the instructions were in German so I hadn't got a clue what to do. Do you think that might have done something to the dongle?

Has anyone got any other things I should consider or should I just get my router and modem moved into the lounge and use an ethernet? Any advice appreciated

I've not tried to do this but I believe there may be a difficulty if you have hidden the SSID on your wireless network. I presume you know the wireless pasword, and it is something you can enter in the Humax input box using the available characters and it isn't so long that the input times out? Mine is!

Personally I use HomePlug mains networking to extend my network to the Humax, rather than rely on WiFi - but others use WiFi successfully. Horses for courses.

I had issues with MAC address filtering on my router (which should be detailed on an earlier page). Make sure you allow the MAC address of the dongle, not the Humax box.
Have you made sure that you are running the latest firmware, as most of the network features are only available in the newest version.
And also, can you connect to the internet (Youtube, iPlayer, etc?) or have you no connection to the router at all?

Dongle should be "plug & play" though you may need a driver on a laptop. Turn off the built-in wireless in your laptop, then plug in the Humax dongle - you should be able to connect to your router with it that way. That way you should be able to identify what it is that is preventing connection via the Humax.

thanks for all the responces. I've moved the router and modem into the lounge and the wi-fi now works perfectly so I can at long last get onto the portal! thanks

Hello from a naive user

Having read a lot of this thread I have bought an Edimax EW-7612UAN adapter to wirelessly link my Humax to my router (BT Homehub). I couldn't find any of the others mentioned. I set the adapter up on my PC quickly and easily. My HDR Fox T2 1TB is about 3 metres away on the other side of a wall. Plugging the adapter in with/without using the extension into either port fails to register with the PVR. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, 'no internet connection', menus greyed out. Any advice please? (Does Humax have any advice anywhere? The manual makes it sound as though the USB ports are purely for memory sticks?)

I'm sorry to say I think you've bought a model with the wrong chip set in it.

The Humax firmware auto-detects a WiFi dongle in the USB port as long as the interface conforms to the same standard as the official Humax dongle (which costs about £30). That means you must obtain the Humax dongle, or one of the dongles that have been verified as containing the equivalent chips, or research the subject well yourself before purchase.

Relevant posts (click links): 1, 10, 21, 89, 115-118, 131... and particularly 125.

Back