HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

Thanks everybody who has contributed to this discussion - there's some really useful information.

I bought the £7.49 dongle mentioned by SteveC on play.com. It arrived today and I can confirm it works perfectly.

I wish mine would, I bought one of these, the TV knows it is there, but doesn't seem to want to do anything with it. The blue light on the dongle just keeps flashing.

My router is a Linksys WRT54G, which the laptops connect to fine.

I have put the dongle on a short extension cable so it is out from under the TV and its metal stand, but still no joy.

Anothe rthing, the dongle doesn't seem to work in the front USB slot, only in the rear. If I plug it in the front the blue light stays on solid, and I can't select the 2Wireless Internet" setup.

Hi
Just signed up after having purchased the Edimax 7711uan as recommended here for the hdrt2. Took it out the box and plugged it . Green light flashing on the dongle but the box can't connect with my router-a wireless Netgeardg834gv5. the box is downstairs and the router upstairs is this distance likely to be the problem or should I have done something differently. Thanks for any help!

Hi
Just signed up after having purchased the Edimax 7711uan as recommended here for the hdrt2. Took it out the box and plugged it . Green light flashing on the dongle but the box can't connect with my router-a wireless Netgeardg834gv5. the box is downstairs and the router upstairs is this distance likely to be the problem or should I have done something differently. Thanks for any help!
Do you have MAC filtering enabled for Wi-Fi on the Netgear ? If so, you'll need to add the dongle's MAC address to the list of permitted stations. My Edimax 7711 is working fine with my Netgear DG834GT.

Does your Humax show your Netgear in the list of found access points ? If so, then it's not too far away.

Hi thank you both for your replies. I'm afraid I'm not really up to speed on all this stuff but will try! Firstly I haven't configured the dongle- I just plugged it in- so that sounds like a good starting point. Go to Settings and follow the trail I guess ?I do have the key for the router.
I'll check that Mac filtering thingy-do I go to routerlogin.com for that? No the Humax is seeing nothing at the moment.
All steps would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks guys

Configuring the Humax to use the WiFi dongle would be a good start - Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure Wi-Fi

Yes configuring did the job- I am now connected through the portal. Downside is that the picture /sound stops/starts every few seconds as if it can't stream data fast enough. My connection said 54 Mbs .
Any thoughts . I live in the sticks and my download speed is usually no more than 2.0- is this the problem?
Thank you

You need at least 2.5Mbps for reasonable iPlayer. What you can do however is pause it and let the buffer build up, then chase play. Once the whole programme has downloaded you can use the custom software to save it off for viewing any time (it will sit in the buffer until you start another programme).

Thank you both for your very helpful replies. At least I understand the problem now. A very good forum.

Thought I should let the good people who had helped me, know how I got on with this . You were all correct in that the eventual culprit (apart from my initial non configuring!) was my isp. Having had a very long and heated converstation with aol, low and behold my line speed went from .3mbps to 3.0mbps overnight. (Consequently I can now stream BBC to my Humax.) Is this a result of me being 'downgraded ' in their system and then being upgraded when I shout load enough-- I don't know for sure - you can decide for yourselves.
PS Why is it only BBC on this Humax portal-what happened to 4od and itv etc??

Thought I should let the good people who had helped me, know how I got on with this . You were all correct in that the eventual culprit (apart from my initial non configuring!) was my isp. Having had a very long and heated converstation with aol, low and behold my line speed went from .3mbps to 3.0mbps overnight. (Consequently I can now stream BBC to my Humax.) Is this a result of me being 'downgraded ' in their system and then being upgraded when I shout load enough-- I don't know for sure - you can decide for yourselves.
PS Why is it only BBC on this Humax portal-what happened to 4od and itv etc??

Let me tell you a story. I had a huge 'to-do' - insofar as one can do, with orange about my broadband. After loads of testing, changing routers three times, orange blaming my PC and my wiring/cables, several visits from BT engineers to my house changing all the cabling to the master socket (twice), moving the master socket, removing other phone lines from the loop, changing the master socket - twice, I found out what the problem was. The ISP. I eventually found an orange tech deep-throat within the bowels of the company, who blabbed and helped me get back up to 18MBPS, from 1-3.

Go to: http://speedtester.bt.com/

The test results go to the ISP. Your IP profile is set by the ISP using these test results. After a few days of running these tests twice a day, my speed went from 1-3M to 18M. When I stopped doing the tests, it dropped again to useless levels. When I resumed testing, it shot up again within a couple of days. Now, I do it twice a day and my speed hasn't fallen below 17.5 or so. If I stop, it will drop. The last BT engineer to come here confirmed what the orange tech had told me, unprompted. Ludicrous, and you shouldn't have to do it.

try it.

john gerard : my speed went from 1-3M to 18M

You must live very close to your Telephone exchange (Unless you are lucky enough to have VDSL) to get 18Mbs, In your case you have a phoneline capable of 18Mbs that has been throttled back to 2Mbs, In most cases however the length of copper wire means it is not physically possible for it to carry more than 2-3Mbs whatever the ISP does

I will try it anyway since my speed has already dropped back from 3 to 1.5. Interestingly aol suggested that I try their speed checker a couple of times a day- 'to monitor how things go' - I wonder if that was code for what you are suggesting. Will report back in due course.

I will try it anyway since my speed has already dropped back from 3 to 1.5. Interestingly aol suggested that I try their speed checker a couple of times a day- 'to monitor how things go' - I wonder if that was code for what you are suggesting. Will report back in due course.

If the speedtester says the line is capable of, say 5Mbs, then 3Mbs may be the best you'll get under ideal circumstances. But at least you'll be maximising your current capability. The engineer told me if I didn't use the speedtester, I'd only ever get 1-3Mbs. I ran the test this morning, and it gave me 17.81Mbs. It's never dropped below 17.5 or thereabouts since I started running it, irrespective of the time of day, so my speed has stabilised, too.

The 'distance from the exchange' line is not quite what it seems. Two BT engineers from my exchange who came to my house said that people living closer got slower speeds than me. It depends how the lines and cabinets in the street are configured, not so much your 'as the crow flies' distance from the exchange.

Or it could all be a massive, happy coincidence!

The 'distance from the exchange' line is not quite what it seems

Absolutely, my 'streight line distance' to the exchange 2 k mtrs but the phone line length is 3 k mtrs which results in 3 mbs :(. I recently got upgraded by my IPS, I used to get 3 mbs out of a possible 8 mbs but now I get 3 mbs out of a possible 24 mbps so that was worth having ! ! !

Hi all, my first post; HELP!
OK, I bought the HDR Fox T2, and having read this forum prior to becoming a member, bought the EW-7711UMN dongle. This came this morning, and I think I'm going mad! It connected and allowed me to go into WiFi setup. It searched for access points and found about six, including mine with one bar short of maximum strength signal. Having selected this I entered my BT Homehub 3 password and applied, but it couldn't connect. Although I thought it was wrong, I also tried my Net Key; again no luck. Next I rebooted the Hummy and tried all again; still no luck. I am totally bemused, please HELP!
Max

Back