HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

May I suggest this thread title be upgraded to include the 2000T ?
With the 2000T and 1800T being newer than the HD/HDR-FOX how feasible is it that they would have capability to use some of the 5GHz dongles?
Or even the HDR-FOX T2 when fully updated to 1.03.12 and its kernel?

Searching for a 5GHz dongle for an old laptop I came across what is described as a Humax dongle (obviously not 5GHz) selling for £8.90. A few of the buyers stated that it was "as described" which to my mind probably means that it is Humax branded as the listings repeatedly describes the dongle as if it is Humax branded.
If I needed a Humax compatible dongle I'd still probably go for the EW-7711Uan at £3 more, but is the cheapest Humax branded dongle source so far?

Link (1st Sep 2014): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMAX-WIF...rs_Dongles&hash=item1e906b042c#ht_5871wt_1400
seller: forgiventhrumercy
ebay description: HUMAX WIFI 150N USB DONGLE.FREEVIEW;BBC ITV iPLAYER.FREE REGISTERED EXPRESS SHIP
Condition: “Brand new,unused product. Will come sealed in its original plastic coating and antistatic bag. Will arrive in padded enevelope to save shipping costs.repacked for cheap postage,please.”

Selected buyer comments for this listing:
  • Goods as described and prompt delivery
  • really great arrived next day and works fab !!alot cheaper than humax
  • Fast despatch and delivery. Product as described. Thankyou
  • As described. No problems. Very pleased. Recommended. :D
  • Recieved in double quick time exactly as described many thanks

Selected comments for same seller from previous freeview and youview recently expired listings:
  • item as described 100% happy would use again.
  • happy with what got
  • Goods as described and arrived promptly
I bought one, works just fine

With the 2000T and 1800T being newer than the HD/HDR-FOX how feasible is it that they would have capability to use some of the 5GHz dongles?
Or even the HDR-FOX T2 when fully updated to 1.03.12 and its kernel?
I don't think they have this ability currently, but it would be easy for Humax to define specifications for one with 5GHz support and include drivers for it in a software update. The current Ralink chipset is quite old now and if they started having supply issues they might release a new model of dongle. As the HDR-FOX is likely not to get many more software updates and has less flash memory (the driver for a dual frequency dongle could be significantly larger than the old one), perhaps only the newer boxes would get this update? In any case as we are talking about Humax, don't hold your breath!

I wouldn't pay more than £5 for such a low-end dongle that doesn't work anyway. £10 if it had an aerial too. £29? £70? You must be joking!

I bought the Edimax, from Amazon, and it's been fine. I wouldn't buy a no-name one to save £3.

NB - because it has Humax in the title doesn't mean it's Humax-branded- it just means the seller knows that's a word people might search for.

I wasn't too worried about WiFi just tried this one out of interest/experiment, looked for the cheapest I could find. Says RT3070 which it is.
This one works fine with my HDR Fox T2, only £4.79 incl p&p. Though did take just over 2 weeks to arrive.

Can't post link, not enough posts, just search Ebay for Ralink RT3070 if you are interested.

I wasn't too worried about WiFi just tried this one out of interest/experiment, looked for the cheapest I could find. Says RT3070 which it is.
This one works fine with my HDR Fox T2, only £4.79 incl p&p. Though did take just over 2 weeks to arrive.

Can't post link, not enough posts, just search Ebay for Ralink RT3070 if you are interested.
what is the setup router distance walls etc.?

bit of an odd one.....I just bought a second HDR Fox T2 (all the latest CW etc.) and went to buy one of these after reading the wiki notes - Built-in Antenna WiFi 802.11n/g/b Wireless Adapter 150Mbps PC CCTV DVR RT3070.....about £9.00. It was recognised as soon as inserted into USB and all looks fine but when I scan it doesn’t actually see many networks (including mine)......if I swap back to the Edimax dongle (the one I am using on my other machine) then there are twice as many networks including my own? Any pointers from you guys would help......not too concerned about possible wasting £9.00 but would like to understand why I don’t see my own network when using this dongle

Which Edimax dongle do you have? Is it a high gain version with a moveable antenna?
It is probably just that the new dongle is less sensitive than the old one: try plugging it in on the other USB port, or use a short USB extension lead and see if you can pick up your network by moving the dongle around. If your other HDR-FOX is closer to the router you could try switching dongles.
The other possibility is that your router is on WiFi channel 12 or 13, and the new dongle is US standard so can only use channels 1 to 11.

Thanks for your comments MontysEvilTwin. Yes, the edimax dongle is one with a moveable antenna. I tried everything you said. The router is on channel 1....no difference when used in the other port......used a usb extension lead which allowed the dongle to be closer to the router....and tried switching dongles......in all cases it shows 3 or 4 networks but not my own BT one which shows a 5 bar strong signal in that area (i.e. on my TV, phone and the other HDR-FOX......really puzzling! but again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts

I am puzzled too. Sometimes WiFi on channel 1 can suffer from non-WiFi interference. You could try switching your router to channel 6 or 11 and see if it makes a difference.

Back