Humax HDR-Fox-T2 - Blank Green Screen output on HDMI

Thanks both for your replies. Was hoping it was the Humax as that would be cheaper to replace!

What was the make of your old TV? Mine is a Sony.

Humax green screen solved!!
My green screen problem got worse vet a year, so I stitched to using the RBW outputs, which gave perfectly good results.
Then bought 4K tv, that only has HDMI inputs, and permanent green screen😟
Found a Scart-HDMI converter for about £8, set to 1080p and all works well. Some slightly fuzzy text onprogram guide, but otherwise everything works well.
Did the same with my Wii games console too😃

Humax green screen solved!!
To be picky, I wouldn't call that "solved". Bypassed, worked around... not solved.

set to 1080p
Do you mean the HDR-FOX V-FORMAT, or some setting on the analogue-to-HDMI converter?

I tried switching to analogue and there was less difference in PQ than I expected (for broadcast TV!), but with detailed comparison it is clear the analogue video is only 576i and the V-FORMAT for the HDMI output does not control the analogue video output (confirming what I expected). Unless the converter has a fancy upscaler built in, you might be better off setting the converter to 576i and letting the TV do the upscaling.

All said, this appears to be an acceptable work-around for those with buggered HDMI outputs and a collection of recordings to watch (or no desire to replace their HDR-FOX).

To be picky, I wouldn't call that "solved". Bypassed, worked around... not solved.

Do you mean the HDR-FOX V-FORMAT, or some setting on the analogue-to-HDMI converter?

I tried switching to analogue and there was less difference in PQ than I expected (for broadcast TV!), but with detailed comparison it is clear the analogue video is only 576i and the V-FORMAT for the HDMI output does not control the analogue video output (confirming what I expected). Unless the converter has a fancy upscaler built in, you might be better off setting the converter to 576i and letting the TV do the upscaling.

All said, this appears to be an acceptable work-around for those with buggered HDMI outputs and a collection of recordings to watch (or no desire to replace their HDR-FOX).
The converter has a switch for 586l or 1080p. The first one I tried was cr*p, so returned it and found a different make, which is quite satisfactory -it’s only TV after all🙄

I have just joined the Green Screen Experience having had my HDR FOX T2 since 2017. Is that fair going or does it seem a bit too soon?

The first symptom was that with the TV and the Humax both off, when you switched them both on they would power up OK but the Humax would not be recognised by the TV. The TV was normally set to the Humax's HDMI "channel" when they had been switched off. If you switched the TV on first and waited for it to complain that there was no signal, then switch the Humax on, the Humax would be recognised by the TV, often after 20 or 30 seconds. This was worrying but workable.
Now the Humax comes up with the Green Screen, always. Except occasionally you get a glimpse of the expected video/TV picture lasting up to a couple of seconds and then the Green Screen.
I tried moving the HDMI cable to a different HDMI socket on the TV. Same thing.
I replaced the HDMI cable. Same thing.
I disconnected the HDMI cable and plugged in a SCART cable. Bingo! It works, albeit with poorer picture quality.

My Samsung TV is not very new but it delivers brilliant picture quality in Standard and in 1080p HD. It's just the right size for its place in the living room too. So we would prefer not to "upgrade" the TV for a smarter one that may not suit us quite so well. 4K? Nah, it'll never catch on! There's no broadcast 4K and not much on cable, nor on disc I believe. We do play Blu-Ray discs but they are just HD.
I've ordered a replacement HDR FOX T2 from a seller on ebay and I plan to move my 2TB hard disc into it so as to re-establish the status quo as of a year or so ago when the Humax worked properly.
Next move it to make sure all my recordings are unencrypted and ready for the switch. Then I should bone up on the procedure for moving the hard disk, for which Thanks to those who posted it.

How did we accumulate 1.6TB of recordings? Sometimes there is a program scheduled that one feels one ought to watch but it turns out one hasn't quite got the motivation to actually watch it, so I get the Humax to watch it for me and my conscience remains clear. That would account for perhaps 1TB of disc space. Some programmes just never seem to be quite as exciting as whatever is currently being broadcast, so having recorded them one just doesn't get around to watching them; another 0.5TB. Hey-ho. I still prefer not to be brutal about culling the old recordings. It would be nice if the Humax showed the date of recordings including the year...😉

I have just joined the Green Screen Experience having had my HDR FOX T2 since 2017. Is that fair going or does it seem a bit too soon?
Random failure is a lottery. Let's just say you're at the tap end of the bathtub.

Next move it to make sure all my recordings are unencrypted and ready for the switch.
You don't absolutely need to do that, the replacement HDR-FOX can be "massaged" (by CF) to have the same encryption key (see below).

Then I should bone up on the procedure for moving the hard disk, for which Thanks to those who posted it.
Curious use of the plural.

Swapping a HDD between HDR-FOXes
  1. Swap the old HDD into the new HDR-FOX.

2. Install custom firmware as per Quick Guide to Custom Firmware.

3. From a web browser: WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings, set key from old HDR-FOX (computed from MAC and S/N)*.

4. Reboot. Now, so long as CF is installed, the HDR-FOX will adopt your customised key, and old and new recordings will be playable. Should the HDR-FOX boot without CF, it will revert to its native key, with all consequences.

5. (optional, but advised) Install auto-unprotect, and set the WebIF to automatically decrypt all old and new recordings (see Decryption Guide). Once all recordings have decrypted, it won't matter what key the unit boots with.

Are you sure it was 2017? Weren't the last new HDR-FOX T2s manufactured in early 2014 (possibly in anticipation of the HDR-2000T launch)? On another post you mentioned using the Web Interface back in 2013, or was that a different HDR-FOX T2?

It would be nice if the Humax showed the date of recordings including the year...😉
Don't you have the CF anymore?
If you load the CF ( to be able to handle the encryption differences between your old and new HDR-FOX T2), then the year can be seen as part of the file name when browsing via the Web Interface, as well as providing some easy to access recording management features.
In the example below 20221014 is 14th October 2022.
1671290234588.png

Are you sure it was 2017? Weren't the last new HDR-FOX T2s manufactured in early 2014 (possibly in anticipation of the HDR-2000T launch)? On another post you mentioned using the Web Interface back in 2013, or was that a different HDR-FOX T2?

Don't you have the CF anymore?
If you load the CF ( to be able to handle the encryption differences between your old and new HDR-FOX T2), then the year can be seen as part of the file name when browsing via the Web Interface, as well as providing some easy to access recording management features.
In the example below 20221014 is 14th October 2022.
View attachment 6457
I'm not sure it was 2017 at all. In fact I think I have had the thing for about 10 years, but that's not accurate either. I've only had the one device, but I have upgraded its disk, maybe twice. I think the first time the disk was causing problems and the second time I was running out of space. The current disk is a WD that is the right colour for leaving it running indefinitely in a box that might get a bit warm.
Yes I know I can find out the file date for the recordings if I look at the CF Browse tab but I tend to manage things lightly, using the Humax display on the TV. I usually only use the CF when something has gone wrong or when I have done a channel refresh which results in loss of the recording schedule and a need to restore a backup of that.
Thanks for your response.

Back