Humax pain

Miss Bays

I bought the Humax T2 before Christmas to record films etc.
Set up was really easy , it worked beautifully originally and had no problems, however now something has gone wrong: Whether I am viewing normal Tv channels or recorded material the Tv switches off after approx. 5mins, I switch back on and it returns to programme being viewd but switches off again after 5 mins, is it something I have done? or is the Humax gremlin? Can I fix it or should I return it? Can I retrieve the masses of recordings before returning?
Any advice gratefully received....

Set up was really easy , it worked beautifully originally and had no problems, however now something has gone wrong: Whether I am viewing normal Tv channels or recorded material the Tv switches off after approx. 5mins, I switch back on and it returns to programme being viewd but switches off again after 5 mins, is it something I have done?
When you say the TV switches off after 5 minutes do you mean the TV or that the picture from the Humax fails after 5 minutes?

Not sure, however the Humax is still on and running, (blue Light) but the TV picture powers off to standby mode, and so in order to watch an hour long programme I have to reswitch the TV on from the remote 60 times! When I switch back on the Humax is still playing the programme I was previously viewing but I have missed the few minutes that it took to restart the Tv !

Is the TV connected by HDMI or SCART (or even phono)?

This is one of those things that would probably be dead easy to sort out if we were there, but we're not and have to communicate by text.

Not sure, however the Humax is still on and running, (blue Light) but the TV picture powers off to standby mode
It does sound as if your TV is turning off and not your Humax, it is unlikely that the Humax is doing this. Have the settings on the TV been changed? maybe a sleep timer or something
BTW
It isn't a good idea to have HDMI and SCART connected between the TV and Humax at the same time

Yes it is the TV not the Humax but this issue has only started occurring since using the Humax. the TV is a
Wharfedale 2610AF, but I do not have a manual, and controls quite simplistic so not sure what to do...?

If you are currently using SCART you could try using HDMI instead. I'm guessing you are saying that when the TV is not connected to the Humax that is doesn't turn off every 5 Mins. and when it is, it does. You could also try a different SCART socket on your TV, if you have more than one

Yes correct when not connected to Humax, TV works fine.
Ok I will check whether there is a HDMI as well this eve, already tried the other SCART socket, either no difference, or does not work at all - I cannot recall now, but it didn't solve it sadly.

Ok now that is very interesting, sounds like the same problem, I think I may have to return it.
Do you know if it is possible to retrieve the recorded material on to a separate hard drive from the Humax before I return it?

Yes I understood that, however the TV works fine when not hooked up to the Humax, so it must be that which is causing it?

My contribution to all of this is you shouldn't be using the SCART but I thought I wouldn't mention it. In the days of VCR you might want to record from it or you could pull the sound off it for piping elsewhere but you don't get HD pictures via SCART, so unless you have the wrong box for an SD only set you should not be using it for video. Stating the obvious to many.

so unless you have the wrong box for an SD only set you should not be using it for video.

What is a SD only set? I presume you mean digital recording by video?

So one person says I should be using a SCART and another says I shouldn't, it is not straightforward is it?

Yes I understood that, however the TV works fine when not hooked up to the Humax, so it must be that which is causing it?
It may be that ANY signal on the SCART input will cause the problem, if you have something else that has a SCART output you could see if that does the same thing. It is sounding like a TV problem because the link in #11 reports the problem with the SCART input and doesn't mention a Humax being used
EDIT
I don't think anyone is saying you should be using SCART, HDMI is better quality, however I did find an online specification that said that your TV only had 2 SCARTS and no HDMI so you may not have a choice

So basically I am being advised to buy a new TV, even though my TV has been absolutely fine?

Can anyone please tell me:
Do you know if it is possible to retrieve the recorded material on to a separate hard drive from the Humax?

For standard definition recordings you can copy them to a USB drive, however High Def. recordings won't play on other devices without further steps being taken

Back