Hummy no longer visible in Windows 10

I have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 with customised firmware v3.13. Until recently I could go to the IP address of the Hummy in Windows Explorer and see the contents of the Hummy's hard drive. Recently that has stopped working on both my Windows 10 laptop and my Windows 10 desktop. Neither can connect to the Hummy. I know the IP address of the Hummy hasn't changed. There are two options, as far as I can see:
1. Something's gone wrong on the Hummy
2. A windows update has broken something (I keep my laptop and desktop up to date as much as I can)
Is there any way to isolate which of the above is the actual problem?
(I've checked in "optionalfeatures" that SMB1.0 is enabled. It is)
Thank you for any help you can offer.
(This is not the same problem I've posted about elsewhere on the forum)

Neither can connect to the Hummy.
This seems to be the critical point, I presume you mean web browser access to the WebIF.

I know the IP address of the Hummy hasn't changed.
How do you know? It would be nice to know you've checked properly. Is it wired or WiFi? WiFi has a habit of changing the IP address regardless of setting it to "Manual".

Presuming there's no technical impediment identified:
  1. Reboot the HDR-FOX; if that doesn't fix it...
  2. Reboot your router.

Last edited:
This seems to be the critical point, I presume you mean web browser access to the WebIF.
No, web browser access to the WebIF works fine (at the expected IP address). I'm talking about typing the IP address of the Hummy into Windows Explorer and seeing the contents of the Hummy hard drive listed as files. It's that which has stopped working recently.

How do you know? It would be nice to know you've checked properly. Is it wired or WiFi? WiFi has a habit of changing the IP address regardless of setting it to "Manual".
It's wired and the IP address is statically assigned in my router. Also I can see the webIF at the expected IP address.

No, web browser access to the WebIF works fine (at the expected IP address). I'm talking about typing the IP address of the Hummy into Windows Explorer and seeing the contents of the Hummy hard drive listed as files. It's that which has stopped working recently.

It's wired and the IP address is statically assigned in my router. Also I can see the webIF at the expected IP address.
Try using another device/OS, eg if you're on Android Cx File Explorer can access via FTP or SMB https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cxinventor.file.explorer
How well it works should give you a clue on what to check next.

It's wired and the IP address is statically assigned in my router.
That's just presumption then.
Also I can see the webIF at the expected IP address.
Fair enough... but that was not clear from your posts. Other means to check include the router admin control panel (typically available on 192.168.1.254) or on the HDR-FOX Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN.

I still think it's worth rebooting your router.

See also this thread: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/map-as-network-drive-w10.10453/

Last edited:
Somehow, having not really done anything significant, I'm now in a situation where the laptop (which is on WiFi) can connect a mapped drive to the Humax but the desktop (which is wired) cannot. Both computers are Windows 10, both used to work fine. Then they both stopped, and now only the laptop works.

On the desktop, if I click diagnose when I try (and fail) to connect, it says "the remote device won't accept the connection" and
The device or resource (192.168.20.50) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".

Try using another device/OS, eg if you're on Android Cx File Explorer can access via FTP or SMB https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cxinventor.file.explorer
How well it works should give you a clue on what to check next.
Confession time: I don't know the username and password for the humax. Both desktop and laptop already have a drive mapped to it, which used to work, and so they must have the correct username and password. I thought I'd noted these but I can't find them anywhere. Is it possible to retrieve them?

Other info:
I have rebooted the router.
I have been into Configure LAN and the IP address is as expected.
The samba package is installed (v2.2.12-6).
The zeroconf package is installed (v1.5-2).
I can ping the Humax both by its IP address and using humax.local.
The humax does not appear in the "Network" section of Windows Explorer.

Last edited:
Somehow, having not really done anything significant, I'm now in a situation where the laptop (which is on WiFi) can connect a mapped drive to the Humax but the desktop (which is wired) cannot. Both computers are Windows 10, both used to work fine. Then they both stopped, and now only the laptop works.
I have suffered a very similar problem for over a year now with no solution found so far :(
I cannot access the humax via SMB from my main computer but have no problem with webif, telnet, DLNA and can access other network drives

It suddenly failed with no conscious change made, I tried backing out recent Windows updates without success.

I had some success with the beta version of Samba 3 but after a short period of initially worked that also stopped working

If you have Win 10 Pro you could try NFS instead of SMB

There is an alternative, but I'm not sure it applies to Explorer. I use an Explorer replacement called DOpus (Directory Opus), and that includes FTP mounts in the drive list. If all else fails I flip to FTP.

Thank you @MymsMan. I have Windows10 Enterprise, so it looks like I could try NFS.

Before I start on that I'd like to try SMB from a non-windows device eg my iphone but I can't remember the username and password for the Humax. Can these be retrieved?

I use "FE File Explorer" in iOS to access network shares, and I don't need a username and password for the HDR-FOX SMB share. Just ignore those entries.

Previously I had SMB1 enabled in Windows. I've tried disabling SMB1, as per one of the suggestions in one of @MymsMan's links. It still doesn't work but I get a slightly different (and more informative!) error messge when I try to view the mapped drive:
1640985597096.png
There's a link in there to https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747 where there's a lot of stuff about SMB that I don't really understand. I wonder if anyone else does?

I have suffered a very similar problem for over a year now with no solution found so far :(
I cannot access the humax via SMB from my main computer but have no problem with webif, telnet, DLNA and can access other network drives

It suddenly failed with no conscious change made, I tried backing out recent Windows updates without success.

I had some success with the beta version of Samba 3 but after a short period of initially worked that also stopped working

If you have Win 10 Pro you could try NFS instead of SMB
Having had this problem for so long I had forgotten the details and thought I would try again and blow me down this time it worked!! :doublethumbsup:

The Humax does not appear in the list of computers on the file explorer Network page (for me) but if you right click on Network and select 'Map Network drive', you can then type \\humax (or whatever your address is) in Folder and click on "Browse..." and the Humax should the appear in the list and you can then select the folder to share.

If you are using SMB1 you should not need a userid/password, with SMB3 you should be able to use root with null password or you can set a password using the smbpasswd command via telnet.

I will have to wait tosee whether the links correctly reconnect on restart.

I use "FE File Explorer" in iOS to access network shares, and I don't need a username and password for the HDR-FOX SMB share. Just ignore those entries.
I have an app called RManager. I just tried a SMB connection from it to the Humax (without username or password) and got straight in. So I'm concluding that the issue/problem is Windows related.

There is an alternative, but I'm not sure it applies to Explorer. I use an Explorer replacement called DOpus (Directory Opus), and that includes FTP mounts in the drive list. If all else fails I flip to FTP.
I don’t think that is limited to DOpus. I’m sure I’ve seen FTP mounts in Explorer - at least in XP.

I give up. SMB works fine to my laptop and to my phone, but will not work to my desktop. I can't get nfs working either. FTP works (using FileZilla and betaftp package) so I'll just use that. Annoying that a previously working setup now isn't working but that's life I guess.

I think you need to be wary of using ftp. I remember reading somewhere that video files don't get decrypted if copied via ftp.

I think you need to be wary of using ftp. I remember reading somewhere that video files don't get decrypted if copied via ftp.
'Scuse me?? What makes you think they get decrypted by the other methods we've been discussing? Any recordings to be exported by anything other than USB copy or capture of DLNA stream will have to be decrypted separately, but we have plenty of options for that.

You had better get up to speed: Decryption Guide

Back