Beta [samba] Samba 3

After initial success when using the new package it has now stopped working with no known changes on PC or humax 😭 :cry:😭

Code:
[Window Title]
Network Error

[Main Instruction]
Windows cannot access \\humax

[Content]
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

[^] Hide details  [Diagnose] [Cancel]

[Expanded Information]
Error code: 0x80070043
The network name cannot be found.

I have wondered if it was related to the null password on Root so tried smbpasswd root to set a password but no joy :{

A bit of a long shot but...
Do you have any sort of 'cleanup' software ? I have and found that it removed network passwords which gave me a similar error. I have subsequently unchecked that option and it works fine.

A bit of a long shot but...
Do you have any sort of 'cleanup' software ? I have and found that it removed network passwords which gave me a similar error. I have subsequently unchecked that option and it works fine.
No. and other password protected network share continue to work

I think I am experiencing some issues as a side effect from this updated version. With it active I was unable to connect to the PVR from Windows 10. As I had a pressing need to archive some stuff I uninstalled the package, stopped receiving beta versions and switched back to the normal Samba package, which up to this point has given me no issues whatsoever. All good I thought, but the issue I have after reverting back is that its not stable. It works for a bit (copies a few files) and then stops working. This sometimes leaves me unable to connect to the PVR via webif and on those occasions when I can still connect, it only starts working again if I stop the samba service and restart it. Any suggestions on how to get it working reliably again I can complete my archiving?

Having monitored this for the last few days it appears that I can copy a random amount of files off via SMB and then the PVR shuts down. I don't see anything in the log files to account for this. After starting it back up from the remote then I am then unable to connect via SMB until the Samba service is stopped and re-started. Apart from this the PVR is working perfectly as far as I can see, so I still think the issue is Samba related...

Oh FFS, I had one of those I wonder if moments and discovered auto power down was switched on somehow... :oops:

Last edited:
I'm interested in applying this to my HDR unit as then I can finally get back to access via Windows etc. but wondered if I should wait until it moves out of Beta? Also, it would be great to have a friendlier way to control permissions. I'd ideally want to create user accounts that have specific read only access to certain folders and their subfolders whilst other users have full access. Has anyone looked into that?

Thanks

Rodp

I'd ideally want to create user accounts that have specific read only access to certain folders and their subfolders whilst other users have full access. Has anyone looked into that?
I think you could limit access to certain folder trees via smb.conf, but not more finely grained than that.

wondered if I should wait until it moves out of Beta?
Why? If the non-beta version doesn't do what you want, why not try it and see how you get on? The whole point of beta is to get people testing and reporting.

I'll give this a go but was just asking if it was imminently going to be moved to non-beta. If not, that's fine, I'll test out. If I need to go back I assume it's as simply as uninstalling it via the packages section of webif and reinstalling the original samba package?

Would be great to have some examples of how to control folders / folder trees in the smb.conf file as so far I've not been that lucky in getting it working, although that could be something due to SMB1 not wanting to talk to Android phones.

Thanks

Rodp

HI All, just coming back on this - I installed the beta version but it when connecting to it from windows or android (eg VLC or x-plore) it still thinks it's Samba 1. After reviewing the last 4 pages I'm left not really sure if I need to do anything in prep or after installing it. Please could I ask for some details or ways to check it's working?

Thanks

Rodp

If you have upgraded from samba2 then the original config file will still be used so as to be backward compatible with existing installations.
The following will overwrite the existing config file with the one for SMB2.
Code:
opkg install samba --force-reinstall --force-maintainer
You may then have to setup a username/password in order to connect to the samba server.

If you have upgraded from samba2 then the original config file will still be used so as to be backward compatible with existing installations.
The following will overwrite the existing config file with the one for SMB2.
Code:
opkg install samba --force-reinstall --force-maintainer
You may then have to setup a username/password in order to connect to the samba server.

Thanks for that - that sorted it out. It seemes to have brought over a symbolic (?) folder I setup in the old config file (I setup one called Media2, leaving Media alone). I can confirm I had to create a new user (I did settop) with a password. I'm now able to control access to folders accordingly :)

So playing around now.... My (work) windows 10 PC still doesn't want to connect but I've had more luck on android. the file app X-Plore will now connect but it states that it's SMB1, even if I tell it to use SMB2 by default. Likewise VLC on android also thinks it's SMBv1 however, I can't seem to login - it just keeps coming back to the login screen 'SMBv1 authentication required'. There is an option in the settings of vlc to 'prefer SMBv1' but trying that mode doesn't help either. I also have BSPlayer for android and that is normally my fallback for testing as that can defo do SMBv1. In both modes in BSPlayer I'm able to access the humax (so long as I've entered the username and password).

So... I'm left not really knowing if SMBv2 or v1 is in play - VLC tells me it's V1 and so does x-plore but VLC can't access it whilst x-plore can.

Any thoughts?

Rodp

This was the log when installing
Code:
humax# opkg install samba --force-reinstall --force-maintainer                                                                                                                               
Removing package samba from root...                                                                                                                                                         
Not deleting modified conffile /mod/etc/secrets.tdb.                                                                                                                                         
Not deleting modified conffile /mod/etc/smbpasswd.                                                                                                                                           
Not deleting modified conffile /mod/etc/smb.conf.                                                                                                                                           
Installing samba (3.6.25-1) to root...                                                                                                                                                       
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/beta/samba_3.6.25-1_mipsel.opk.                                                                                                                         
Conffile /mod/etc/smb.conf-opkg.backup using maintainer's setting.                                                                                                                           
Conffile /mod/etc/smbpasswd-opkg.backup using maintainer's setting.                                                                                                                         
Configuring samba.                                                                                                                                                                           
Importing account for root...ok

Likewise VLC on android also thinks it's SMBv1 however, I can't seem to login - it just keeps coming back to the login screen 'SMBv1 authentication required'. There is an option in the settings of vlc to 'prefer SMBv1' but trying that mode doesn't help either. I also have BSPlayer for android and that is normally my fallback for testing as that can defo do SMBv1.
Is it really down to the apps to handle networking rather than it being done by OS service?

After initial success when using the new package it has now stopped working with no known changes on PC or humax 😭 :cry:😭

Code:
[Window Title]
Network Error

[Main Instruction]
Windows cannot access \\humax

[Content]
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

[^] Hide details  [Diagnose] [Cancel]

[Expanded Information]
Error code: 0x80070043
The network name cannot be found.

I have wondered if it was related to the null password on Root so tried smbpasswd root to set a password but no joy :{

I finally found a solution to the problem with automatically reconnecting to Mapped network drives
I did a bit of googling and it appears to be well known problem with a range of workarounds

The one that appears to be closest to our issues is http://woshub.com/could-not-reconnect-mapped-network-drives/#h2_4

I have tried added the ProviderFlags key to the registry and rebooted Windows and the drive reconnected correctly,
I need to try a few more tests like rebooting PC while the Humax is not active and restarting the humax
Running the command
Code:
REG ADD "HKCU\Network\U" /v "ProviderFlags" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
has solved the issue (change \U to your drive letter)

Can you post your /mod/etc/smb.conf file?
sorry for the delay - here's my smb.conf file

Code:
[global]
   coding system = utf8
   load printers = no
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /dev/null
   disable spoolss = yes
   guest account = root
   guest ok = yes
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
   null passwords = yes
   server string = Samba HDR-Fox-T2
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   netbios name = %h
   client code page=850
   character set = iso8859-1
   case sensitive = yes
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   interfaces = %h/24
   hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 172.16.0.0/255.240.0.0 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0

# The directories under /media are auto-generated and added to the included
# file. Any additional shares which are not under /media should be added
# to this file (/mod/etc/smb.conf).

include = /mod/etc/smb-hotplug.conf

# Retained for compatibility - this may appear as a small disk on the client
[Media]
   comment = Media
   path = /media
   public = no
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

[Media2]
   comment = Media2
   path = /media/My Music
   public = no
   writable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no
   valid users = settop

this is the smb-hotplug.cnf file

Code:
# Do not modify this file - it will be overwritten

[My Music]
   comment = My Music
   path = /mnt/hd2/My Music
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

[My Photo]
   comment = My Photo
   path = /mnt/hd2/My Photo
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

[My Video]
   comment = My Video
   path = /mnt/hd2/My Video
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

[drive1]
   comment = drive1
   path = /media/drive1
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

I've used
Code:
smbpasswd settop
to set a password for settop

Thanks

Rodp

That is an SMB1 configuration file. There should be a config. file for SMB2 which you can make active using...
Code:
cd /mod/etc
mv smb.conf smb.conf.smb1
mv smb.conf-opkg smb.conf
You may have to restart the samba service after making the change.

I have no smb.conf-opkg.

Sounds like this is the problem then. If I delete it will it reproduce the correct version?

This is what I have
1654591349894.png

Attachments

• 1654591280967.png
    1654591280967.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
ok, renaming the old config files, uninstalling and reinstalling seemed to fix the issue. thanks for the advice. I'm now working out how to ensure my username settop only has access to Media2 (media/My Music). Currently it seems to be accessing My Video which I don't want.

Thanks

Rodp

Get rid of the mount in hotplug.cnf - I know it says "do not modify", but I think that's because any changes will get over-written if the package gets updated.

Back