Interesting Items...

Why reluctant Phil. That's exactly what I was referring to as stupid. Why don't they hold there phones sideways? Moving pictures have always been shot in landscape mode since movies (oops) films began. That's why our TV screens are 16 x 9 (or 4 x 3 if they are really old).

We have discussed that already, but I agree, portrait video is generally cr*p, especially when filled out to landscape. Maybe using landscape and standing further back would have been safer, in the circumstances, but filming it was a spontaneous act, and had the desired result. I now have a brand new coffee maker, but not deLonghi!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for you, Trev.

http://www.slashfilm.com/meet-the-vertical-cinema-movement/

Vertical-Cinema-1.jpg

If the display device is portrait, then it's OK, but as most stuff, if not displayed on the stupid little screen of a smartphone, is displayed on a TV in landscape 16 x 9. So all you phone video merchants, turn your bloody phone sideways and give us a break from the amateurish portrait shot displayed on a landscape screen.
mike. Good result with the portrait coffee maker though.

Why reluctant Phil.
I was reluctant to refer to the people at a Manchester concert as stupid in light of recent events. Otherwise, I would agree with you on this one.
That's why our TV screens are 16 x 9 (or 4 x 3 if they are really old).
Ah, my nice 4:3 crt, still in use and providing wonderful service - if only the wide button would do its job on the 2000T....

Clearly any video taken "in the heat of battle" can be excused on any number of counts, but otherwise I am in complete agreement with Trev: taking video in portrait format (as my sister once did when asked to video some action shots that take place on a horizontal rather than vertical plane, and as many Facebook posts will attest) indicates lack of forethought.

Unfortunately the only way I can take an impromptu video hands-free (by propping the phone up with its own case) is in portrait, but the resolution is so high I have cropped it from 16:9 portrait to 16:9 landscape successfully (using only the centre 32%)! That relies on the lens having a sufficiently wide FoV of course.

I don't have a mobile phone! (So this could be ball cocks). Perhaps there should be a setting that allows you to record landscape, even if the phone is in portrait. Of course, you'd have such a small picture (on the phone as you are recording) that you'd then be tempted to go landscape. Swapping from one format to the other .... :frantic:.

Change of subject:
It seems hackers are targeting the hard of hearing ...
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/kodi-vlc-security-risk-subtitles
Or does this happen even if you don't actually use the subtitles?
Subtitles are not only used by the hard of hearing, I rarely watch a movie without at some point asking fellow viewers "Did you get that?, No, nither did I", there is a growing list of actors (not all American :)), that mumble their way through the dialogue

I sometimes use them for identifying the music used - if they can be bothered to insert that information.
It always beats me why they think anyone deaf would care what music is playing in the background. Plus, even when lyrics are irrelevant to the story

#we still get this nonsense

why they think anyone deaf would care what music is playing
People who can't hear (to whatever extent) may not have always been that way, so they can still remember stuff they heard in the past.
Though in my case I know lots of music but putting the name of a lot of it up on screen means nothing to me :oops:

Subtitles are not only used by the hard of hearing, I rarely watch a movie without at some point asking fellow viewers "Did you get that?, No, nither did I", there is a growing list of actors (not all American :)), that mumble their way through the dialogue
There's been loads of complaints about it - Jamaica Inn, that northern police thing...

Back