Interesting Items...

There's been loads of complaints about it - Jamaica Inn, that northern police thing...
There should be, (trying not to use the word surely), a job title to go along with 'focus puller', 'colour matcher' etc. for the person who checks the speech is audible

Oh no! The digital gravestone! Portrait, even in death...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-tombstone-unveiled-Slovenia-world-first.html
40BC185E00000578-0-image-m-17_1495628137773.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ha. But the portrait photos are in portrait and the landscape ones in landscape and they are not displayed on a 16 x 9 screen either.

There should be, (trying not to use the word surely), a job title to go along with 'focus puller', 'colour matcher' etc. for the person who checks the speech is audible
Just feed it into Dragon, and if the output doesn't match the script it's a fail.

But it could be a hit with those who shoot all their videos in portrait mode.

And that person needs to be someone who has not spent days, weeks or months with script to hand so that means the judgement of the writer, producer, director, cast or recording crew is not to be trusted as they are hearing what they expect to hear.

These already exist. Dubbing mixer, post-production sound, re-recording mixer, ADR supervisor, supervising sound editor...
And that person needs to be someone who has not spent days, weeks or months with script to hand so that means the judgement of the writer, producer, director, cast or recording crew is not to be trusted as they are hearing what they expect to hear.
It is likely that the director and/or editor will interfere with the process. So any work done by the "professionals" could be cocked-up by them. Of course, listening and mixing in a quiet, fully equipped mixing studio is not the same as listening at home with a poor sound system. Perhaps they need to run the mix through a "hearing impaired person listening to this through a crappy sound system" filter, before broadcasting it.

And yet it often those of us with a good home audio system and the critical faculties to appreciate it who are the ones to complain.
Quite right. I have a very crappy system - but use headphones most of the time - and don't have a problem. I didn't notice the problem with SS-GB that many people complained about.

In that case perhaps they need to put it through a "good home audio system and good hearing" filter as well. Or just get a few people with different kit and hearing ability to sit through the programme after it has [been] edited and give some feedback, before it is broadcast.

Last edited:
Or just get a few people with different kit and hearing ability to sit through the programme after it has edited and give some feedback, before it is broadcast.
Unfortunately this (like most problems actually) requires those who are responsible for things to a) admit they they may not have got it right first time, and b) when the failure is proven admit they actually did get it wrong (and spend the money to fix it).
Good luck with that :)
See also United airlines, etc.

Another thought is that, like many others, I am not looking at the screen a lot of the time and so not subconsciously relying on lip-reading to help me understand what is being said.

As for SS-GB there was a definite problem with the early episodes with the main character and his sidekick as you could hear the buzzing background hum of the microphone which was not present for the rest of the cast which implies they had tried to correct for a mumbling actor by raising the level in the mix. That a competent sound engineer could not hear the problem and suggest they needed to re-record the dialogue is worrying.

As for SS-GB there was a definite problem with the early episodes with the main character and his sidekick as you could hear the buzzing background hum of the microphone which was not present for the rest of the cast which implies they had tried to correct for a mumbling actor by raising the level in the mix. That a competent sound engineer could not hear the problem and suggest they needed to re-record the dialogue is worrying.
I don't remember hearing the buzzing. I shall have to see if I have the episode somewhere and give it a listen.
I was under the impression (possibly wrongly) that the majority of dialogue is re-recorded anyway as the programmes are usually filmed using one camera. If you do it the cheap way it sounds like an old episode of Columbo. Facing Columbo, air conditioning on, facing the person he's talking to a/c off. On, off, on, off... very distracting.
... b) when the failure is proven admit they actually did get it wrong (and spend the money to fix it).
Good luck with that :)
Stock BBC (and other broadcaster's) answer. "Nobody else has complained" (ie. we are not going to do anything, so :p)

Back