• The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.1!

This upgrade brings a number of improvements including the ability to bookmark posts to come back to later. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and open a new thread for any questions, issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Interesting Items...

EEPhil

Number 28
I am incredulous. Not so much the big queue, but that anyone would actually want to climb Everest. Given that I don't like heights, have a slightly dodgy foot, am getting too old for such adventures, and had a relative fall off a lower feature within GB [Ben Nevis] (and that was before selfies), I am perhaps not the target audience. I don't feel the need to climb it just because it is there.
In the the photo at #1556 there appears to be no safety equipment in use. The slightest mistake and the whole lot could come tumbling down. Makes me 🤢 just thinking about it. Another thing, once they reach the top where do they go? No obvious route visible. Is that a real picture or has someone been Photoshopping, perhaps for publicity purposes?

Last edited:
OP
Black Hole

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
No, it's a real photo taken by one of the Sherpa types (who was hoping to complete a record for the fastest ascent of all the highest peaks).

Safety: there's a rope, but the bottleneck is caused by there being one route to go up and back down. I guess there's not a lot of room at the top to wait for the way down to clear!

I don't think not wanting to do something oneself is sufficient grounds for incredulity. I was initially incredulous that they wouldn't realise what they were doing was very dangerous like that, but like I said I think once you're up there, there's not a lot of choice.

Trev

The Dumb One
Trouble with that is that it tends to get a bit windy and cold off peak.
Also those who do go off peak, tend to die, as it's a long way down.

prpr

You may be mixing up Everest and Snowdon :)
Actually, it's a good job Princess Margaret didn't make the same mistake. Otherwise she might have found herself stuck up at Tan Hill with Ted Moult.
Yes, but is it a finite improbability?
I don't know. I think the answer might be written on a small piece of paper on the floor. But it's out of reach, and my robot's in a strop.
All you need is a Bambleweeny 57, an atomic vector plotter and a strong cup of tea and anything is possible.
The ink's dried up in the plotter (a common problem), the tea has gone cold (another common problem), but I do have a small piece of fairy cake from which to extrapolate, so I think things might be OK. And yes, the b@st@rd council/developers do want to build bl00dy houses opposite... :(

EEPhil

Number 28
Actually, it's a good job Princess Margaret didn't make the same mistake. Otherwise she might have found herself stuck up at Tan Hill with Ted Moult.
:rolling:Honest guv. I was trying to think up a comment to make exac[t]ly the same point, :D
And yes, the b@st@rd council/developers do want to build bl00dy houses opposite... :(
Lots of that around here. Even when planning refused the builders appeal - get permission and then the next time the council just roll over (Sharphill Woods area for example). Any other spare land and the "travellers" move onto it.

Last edited: