Interesting Items...

I am incredulous.
Maybe I am not so incredulous.

You plan a Everest climb, arrange the necessary "time off" it will take, get your permit, organise support, spend loads up-front on travel and kit... and possibly don't know just how many other people are doing the same thing at the same time until you reach base camp. By then, you may have committed many thousands of pounds and several years getting to that point. What are you going to do - turn back to try again another time, at more cost, with the likelihood it won't be any better (and off-peak - pun intended - is too risky)?

I am incredulous. Not so much the big queue, but that anyone would actually want to climb Everest. Given that I don't like heights, have a slightly dodgy foot, am getting too old for such adventures, and had a relative fall off a lower feature within GB [Ben Nevis] (and that was before selfies), I am perhaps not the target audience. I don't feel the need to climb it just because it is there.
In the the photo at #1556 there appears to be no safety equipment in use. The slightest mistake and the whole lot could come tumbling down. Makes me 🤢 just thinking about it. Another thing, once they reach the top where do they go? No obvious route visible. Is that a real picture or has someone been Photoshopping, perhaps for publicity purposes?

Last edited:
No, it's a real photo taken by one of the Sherpa types (who was hoping to complete a record for the fastest ascent of all the highest peaks).

Safety: there's a rope, but the bottleneck is caused by there being one route to go up and back down. I guess there's not a lot of room at the top to wait for the way down to clear!

I don't think not wanting to do something oneself is sufficient grounds for incredulity. I was initially incredulous that they wouldn't realise what they were doing was very dangerous like that, but like I said I think once you're up there, there's not a lot of choice.

Trouble with that is that it tends to get a bit windy and cold off peak.
Also those who do go off peak, tend to die, as it's a long way down.

You may be mixing up Everest and Snowdon :)
Actually, it's a good job Princess Margaret didn't make the same mistake. Otherwise she might have found herself stuck up at Tan Hill with Ted Moult.
Yes, but is it a finite improbability?
I don't know. I think the answer might be written on a small piece of paper on the floor. But it's out of reach, and my robot's in a strop.
All you need is a Bambleweeny 57, an atomic vector plotter and a strong cup of tea and anything is possible.
The ink's dried up in the plotter (a common problem), the tea has gone cold (another common problem), but I do have a small piece of fairy cake from which to extrapolate, so I think things might be OK. And yes, the b@st@rd council/developers do want to build bl00dy houses opposite... :(

Actually, it's a good job Princess Margaret didn't make the same mistake. Otherwise she might have found herself stuck up at Tan Hill with Ted Moult.
:rolling:Honest guv. I was trying to think up a comment to make exac[t]ly the same point, :D
And yes, the b@st@rd council/developers do want to build bl00dy houses opposite... :(
Lots of that around here. Even when planning refused the builders appeal - get permission and then the next time the council just roll over (Sharphill Woods area for example). Any other spare land and the "travellers" move onto it.

Last edited:
Back