Looking for the thread that describes what I can expect from DLNA between two HDR-Fox T2

aekostas

Hello,

Many thanks for the wealth of information available.

I now have two HDR-Fox T2, both running 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13), both set to recursively auto-decrypt (that took a wee while on 800GB of data on the original one :)) and want to watch on one what the other has recorded. By clicking Media -> Storage -> Network -> HDR-Fox T2 Media Server -> My Contents -> My Video I can see all (?) of the numerous folders and files on the original, and a couple I tried can play; HD too.

The usability problem is that the folders are listed in a crazy order and the files in them are in a crazy order. I also expected that I could restart from where I had paused etc, but it seems like the only option is to play, I don't get the Play options when clicking OK.

Am I on the wrong interface to see the remote files? Missing a package? Overegged when I decrypted? I presume there is a page somewhere that describes things, I found this one, but I don't seem to find the basics. Can you please point me towards the correct direction?

Many thanks in advance,
AEKostas

Rather than use DLNA, you can use the info from here https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/content-sharing-101.9642/#post-140137
Basically use package Network Shares Automount, NFS shares instead of samba.
Additionally you may set boxes to use the same encryption key. Some people copy the key from the first box to the second. Personally I just set them both to all zeros or all ones (so that they share the same key, easy for me to remember etc)

You've very well described the limitations of DLNA streaming as implemented on the HDR-Fox T2. The plus point is the ability to decrypt recordings, but yours are already decrypted (and/or you could set the key to match between the 2 HDRs).

To play recordings over the network as if they were local, you need to set up a file share on the storage machine that the playing machine can access, using NFS or Samba, and the network-shares-automount package may help you to do so.

In other words, what BT said!

I went here back in the spring. It all seemed muddy but BH did some 'housekeeping' and the thread bottletop indicates now gives a good guide. It's just like using the local box once you're 'in'.

My only problems are a) having to go and turn on the remote box, b) when I've been watching something remote I forget where I am and check the recording schedule - which invariably leaves me thinking WTF? for a couple of seconds, and c) Undelete doesn't work when you delete remotely.

Thank you all very much. The thread notification failed, so I only just saw this. Some more studying for me tomorrow, methinks.

AEKostas

Edit: eiher my phone did not show the notification or I missed it; anyway, correcting my statement above with the strikethrough.

Last edited:
"Tomorrow", he said, pull the other one. It worked beautifully, many thanks.

Is it obvious how I could set a shortcut on the remote so I get to Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB menu >> Lounge with one press?

AEKostas

Is it obvious how I could set a shortcut on the remote so I get to Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB menu >> Lounge with one press?
You could experiment with macros in the ir package (install ir, then see WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir package), but you would need to assign a button on the remote to that function.

I went here back in the spring. It all seemed muddy but BH did some 'housekeeping' and the thread bottletop indicates now gives a good guide. It's just like using the local box once you're 'in'.
Thanks, now you've brought that up I must go back and work out what "not complete" means!

You could experiment with macros in the ir package (install ir, then see WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir package), but you would need to assign a button on the remote to that function.

Thanks once again. Because the Humax remembers where it last was, the button will only work first time around. So I thought to add it as a start-up sequence, which would mean that Media would default to that after reboot. I could not implement/test that, as one has to name the macro "root" and I cannot use 'r' as a character in the filename; 'r' clicks the blue button on the virtual remote instead. I could not figure out how to rename a macro.

Edit: Windows 10; tried on Firefox and on Edge.

I was not aware of individual keyboard keys being assigned to keypad functions on the virtual remote, but I have just tried it and confirmed that is the case. The macro record facility seems to have been broken by something (or someone) - it doesn't just involve "r", and I can paste a name but still not get the option to save it.

However, that's not the only way to create a macro: WebIF >> Diagnostics >> File Editor, click on /mod/boot/ir3.map and edit to your heart's content (reboot required for changes to take effect), but I have not yet worked out where WebIF macros are stored (a macro called "root', for example)*. More info:

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/ir-web-based-remote-control.2437/post-39107 (origins of macro facility)
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/ir-web-based-remote-control.2437/post-143254 (complete listing of key codes)

* Hmm. According to the wiki:
Macros
  • record a sequence of key strokes, to be replayed with a single 'click'
  • A Macro named root will automatically be run when the Humax is taken out of standby
  • Macro sequences are stored here :- /mod/etc/webif.db, macros can be transferred to another unit by copying this file
Selecting Record a New Macro will display a Name Box and some delay keys to create a pause in the sequence

I'm not sure a .db is easily edited (it can be viewed only via WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Database Browser).

In short: I think you've discovered a bug and are stuffed by it. See my alternative suggestion in post 9.

Thanks for the report. Is it an email or a thread I could follow?

I was able to create a macro called root; I pasted the name, recorded the macro and I was able to save it (the button to save is enabled after one key-stroke on the virtual remote). When I click on the macro on the WebIF, it does what I want it to do. But it does not look like it is called on restart. Or maybe it is called before the USB drive is mounted and fails? I re-recorded it starting with a 30 sec delay and was not successful either.

I was able to create a macro called root; I pasted the name, recorded the macro and I was able to save it (the button to save is enabled after one key-stroke on the virtual remote).
I didn't try that.

But it does not look like it is called on restart. Or maybe it is called before the USB drive is mounted and fails?
I guess that could be true. It might work better if you called the macro something else, then set up a script that runs some fixed delay after boot to call the macro on a command line (don't ask me how - I can direct you to information about command line scripts, but I'm not sure whether an ir macro can be initiated on the command line - there is no mention of it in ir help, type "ir" on the command line).

But I think this is a fraught process always liable to misoperation. The Humax "API" was never designed to support this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance, I also asked if the problem is a regression with the root macro. If root works for other macros, I will try the method you employ before I invest further on the ir macros.

I was able to create a macro called root; I pasted the name, recorded the macro and I was able to save it (the button to save is enabled after one key-stroke on the virtual remote). When I click on the macro on the WebIF, it does what I want it to do. But it does not look like it is called on restart.
I thought it was called "boot" not "root".

Aha! That seems to be the case (obvious really), which adequately explainas why the OP's macro isn't auto-running:
If you create macro called boot then it will be played upon boot. I added it but have never really done any experimentation (nor apparently announced it as available).
Unfortunately there is a misleading transcription error in the wiki:
  • A Macro named root will automatically be run when the Humax is taken out of standby

Back