Media mistakes

Dunno whether it's a "media mistake": the EPG synopsis info for the Welsh Open snooker says it's coming from the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff when actually it's the Celtic Manor Conference Centre in Newport.

From the snooker website:

1613721441727.png

Err... no, the semi-finals will be tomorrow (20th Feb). They had the same yesterday, when 18th jumped straight to 21st.

This is my final exhibit for the prosecution, ranked *** (out of 3) by the Mail:
Code:
 ———————————————————————
|   | O |   |   |   |   |
|———|———|———|———|———|———|
|   |   |   | X | X |   |
|   | O |   |   | X |   |
| O |   |   | X |   |   |
|   | X | X |   |   |   |
|   |   | O |   |   | O |
 ———————————————————————
BH Rating: ●︎●︎○︎○︎○︎

Is it always true that there are 3 pairs of rows and columns, with the components of each pair containing the opposite items?
e.g.
Code:
 ———————————————————————
| x | O | x | o | o | x |
| o | x | o | X | X | o |
and
Code:
 ———————
| x | O 
|———|———
| o | x 
|———|———
| x | O 
|———|———
| O | x 
|———|———
| o | X 
|———|———
| x | o 
 ———————

The answer is "no" ("3 star" from yesterday):
Code:
 ———————————————————————
|   |   | X |   | O |   |
| O |   |   | X |   | X |
|   |   |   |   |   | O |
|   | O |   | O |   |   |
| X |   |   |   |   |   |
| O | O |   |   |   |   |
———————————————————————

Not?

But if it's a "hydrocarbon", it's not emission-free (at the point of use).

Last edited:
This article popped up on the EV forum, of course. Turns out it's actually about hydrogen, but modern journalists being technological morons they've just thrown a lot of nice sounding words at it.
Conclusion on the other forum is that it's just clickbait.

Could be - I like the idea of hydrogen rather than EV, but it seems to have some problems (which is why EV is being promoted ahead of it).
Yeah - there isn't much of it and it's mostly made by reforming methane. It's less 'green' than most fossil fuels. (Not sure about coal.)

Until we have lots* of surplus renewable electricity to electrolyze it from water it's not going to be a big player, though there is hope that before then it might be used to 'store' excess power from renewables that over produce at times. Even then it would probably first get used for air transport and shipping, where a quick top up isn't as easy as (it should be) for ground transport.

( * Bear in mind that the cycle for using electricity to produce hydrogen and then using that for propulsion is about 30% efficient. The same using batteries is nearer 80%. From what I've seen quoted. (I haven't done detailed research but from what I know those are reasonable numbers.))

Except for the cost and pollution from the batteries.

There is loads online about EVs only taking 20 minutes to charge, but those batteries aren't going to survive that long, are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
What bothers me about EV is buying a car with sufficient range for the majority of your journeys, only to find the batteries quickly fatigue to the point they won't hold enough charge for those journeys. I wouldn't be happy with less than 250 miles range.

Bear in mind that the cycle for using electricity to produce hydrogen and then using that for propulsion is about 30% efficient.
...but that's not an issue if you could make your own hydrogen from photovoltaic or wind. That's a lot easier than making your own petrol!

There is loads online about EVs only taking 20 minutes to charge, but those batteries aren't going to survive that long, are they?
I'm not sure any can do 0-100% in 20 mins. It's more common to do something like 20-80% on rapid charge because the batteries don't like high charge rates at low and high SoC.
Mine will do 20-80 in about 30 mins, all things being lined up, and has an 8 year warranty on the battery.
IIRC the warranty kicks in if the battery health (capacity) drops below 70%, so with a 250-300 mile real world range that would be down to ~190 mile range, which is probably OK for the sort of use most people put on an 8+ year old car.

There is loads of disinformation about EVs - though there are some real issues. In the latter camp is the parlous state of the UK's public charging network ... "A work in progress" is a polite way of putting it. Most of the cars are excellent - just very expensive still.

Bournemouth and back (a regular non-Covid run) is 230 miles.
Hopefully ... by the time you need to do that in a 9 yo EV there will be adequate en route charging provision.
Right now I can do that on a 100% (home) charge.

But I'm going back to petrol for now anyway, for a number of reasons.

Back