Media mistakes

I was watching (a recording of) the Stirling Prize (architecture) programme yesterday, and some woman said "it is a basic tenent...".

"it is a basic tenent...".
I’ll assume that in the context of the programme you think the word should be tenet. Shouldn’t that spelling be tenant?(Debatable, is the word mis-pronounced or did the speaker use the wrong word?)

Rather rude way of describing someone renting your property.

you think the word should be tenet
Yes. With so many more of the general public now speaking on TV through vox pops or whatever, it is not uncommon they commit gaffs revealing their lack of understanding of the English language. Mitigategate is just one example. People use words they think they've heard to sound educated, and then put their foot in it.

If you think about it defusing a row means the underlying explosive arguments are still smouldering and only needs another spark to set it off again. Diffusing a row could be taken to mean the underlying arguments are spread more thinly and less likely to be a risk to life and limb and easier to individually resolve.

defusing a row means the underlying explosive arguments are still smouldering and only needs another spark to set it off again.
I'm not sure that really makes sense. Explosives aren't well known for the ability to smoulder :eek:

But as I said in my op I agree that diffuse can just about work, though I think it's less effective.

From the BBC website this morning:

'The villagers, dozens of them, were busy creating bails of rice and carrying them on their backs to a rather run-down tractor.'

Back