Media mistakes

isn’t Angel a valid first name?
Not when associated with "Rayner", no. "Angela Rayner" would appear in the database of acceptable representations, not "Angel Rayner". The point is to trap typos, since nobody seems to proof-read any more.

Something wrong with the space key?
“West Bridgford Wire” said:
TheoldRushcliffeLeisureCentrebuildingontheRushcliffeSchoolsiteisretainedinthe ownership of the Council and has been part vacant and part occupied since closure.
(From https://westbridgfordwire.com/part-...re-centre-and-school-expansion-a-step-closer/ )
I find it easier to understand some of the longer German words than the first “word” in that paragraph. Another proof reading problem. Would have thought your bog-standard spellchecker should have caught that one.

(Damned predictive text and spellchecker changed bog to big and than to that - argh!)

Shock, Horror: Attenborough got it wrong. :frantic:

Clearly referring to a reed mace, he called it a bull rush. This is a long-running matter which I might have mentioned before: there is a generation (particularly those subjected to the ritual brain-washing known as Sunday School) told the story of Moses in the Bull Rushes, incorrectly illustrated with drawings of the reed mace. The reed mace is a reed, the bull rush is a rush. They are in different botanical classes, with different characteristics. They look different. The only point in common is that they grow in water.

Cancel the licence fee!

Something really weird on BBC Breakfast: the bulletin about yesterday's budget statement at 9am had the soundtrack overlaid by some woman gossiping about having cut out coffee!

Something really weird on BBC Breakfast: the bulletin about yesterday's budget statement at 9am had the soundtrack overlaid by some woman gossiping about having cut out coffee!
That sounds like it could have been from The Food Chain. It's scheduled to go out twice today on the BBC World Service.

Are you certain it wasn’t part of the report? Cutting out high-street coffee shops should save some money.
More likely a cock-up at BBC. Just takes one moment of carelessness to fade up the wrong source.

That sounds like it could have been from The Food Chain. It's scheduled to go out twice today on the BBC World Service.
Sounds like a remarkable correlation, but the times aren't right. Listening to it now to confirm...

Are you certain it wasn’t part of the report?
Yes, but nobody commented afterwards about sound irregularities. I wish I had recorded it, but I was on a HD-FOX and there's no recording from TSR buffer. Nonetheless, I re-ran it to confirm what I had heard.

Back