Media mistakes

On the subject of seeing spelling errors on things you're not reading a few posts back, I spotted this while looking up something on a local trading estate.

On the subject of seeing spelling errors on things you're not reading a few posts back, I spotted this while looking up something on a local trading estate.
Is this a real spelling mistake or a problem caused by Google merging pictures? The van looks a bit of a funny shape.

Is this a real spelling mistake or a problem caused by Google merging pictures? The van looks a bit of a funny shape.
Yes, it's a merge artefact - if you go forwards one hop and zoom back in, it's fine (and on the front of the van)

1657965864155.png

Yes, I realised it was a merging artefact - the 'two' letter Ls aren't parallel for a start. My point was that there's part of the brain that can spot errors like this when you're not consciously looking for them.

Here's another couple, one from this morning and the other from Monday evening.
You'd have thought stuff like this would be pre-programmed or at least composed from selectable list items, but it would appear not.
IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.jpg

I thought you weren't a fan?
I'm not a fan of mixing up Secret Army and 'Allo 'Allo. One takes WW2 and the escape lines seriously, the other is just a farce (in the proper sense). I'm perfectly happy to watch either.

From the depths of twitter, a Mirror editor tweeted:
Kevin Maguire said:
BREAKING: UK economy shrank -0.1% over April, May and June this year.
Johnson’s Boosterism was a Con job.
Isn't that an  expansion of 0.1%?

Not so much a media mistake, but can someone pass journalists a thesaurus? I'm getting fed up of the word "soaring" appearing in almost every headline and article. First it was the heatwave and now it's energy prices (even milk prices in the local rag). :mad:

Richard heads!
I indirectly know a Richard Head, and someone I used to know called their son Wayne in complete innocence when the family name was King. He died not of embarassment but on a motorcycle in his early 20s before I knew the family.

I indirectly knew of an Ian Smelley. His middle initial was M.

Also, someone whose surname was Crapp.

Never knew whether lab equipment provided by Wayne Kerr...
Back in the early '80s I was involved in buying their ATE kit and they always carefully pronounced it 'Wayne Care" [Edit: I've now added the vital missing 'e'.]

I've always suspected someone with a good knowledge of English played a trick on Taiwanese LED manufacturer Kingbright when suggesting a name.

Last edited:
In the late 70's there was a star MotoGP rider named Jonny Ceccoto. Manufacturers AGV were going to name a new style crash helmet 'Super Jonny' until they were informed.........!

Back