mod: iPhone optimized web interface

You need to install the webif-iphone package, that will give you a cut-down version of the web interface that has been styled to fit the screen size of a smartphone.

You need to install the webif-iphone package, that will give you a cut-down version of the web interface that has been styled to fit the screen size of a smartphone.
Ah yes, gotcha now, thanks very much. Not sure how I missed that. It's a kind of 'WAP' version. Yes, looks fine on my HTC Desire S. Now for the tricky bit - making it work from anywhere in the world, made even trickier by not knowing what I'm doing! I've got as far as fixing the internal IP address and, being on cable, my external IP address doesn't tend to change, so I'm guessing that's all good. Little steps eh, now to delve the depths of the Virgin Superhub, aka Netgear router with modem.

I too am on VM and would love to know how to access the Hummy from anywhere in the world. Something to do with port forwarding. I know my external IP address and the internal IP address of my Hummy (static).

So, from anywhere in the world if I enter my external IP address and a port number (IE :8080), and I have my D-Link router set up to forward incoming on that port to the IP address of my Hummy, it should work. Is that right?

I too am on VM and would love to know how to access the Hummy from anywhere in the world. Something to do with port forwarding. I know my external IP address and the internal IP address of my Hummy (static).

So, from anywhere in the world if I enter my external IP address and a port number (IE :8080), and I have my D-Link router set up to forward incoming on that port to the IP address of my Hummy, it should work. Is that right?

I think the default port would be :80, unless you set up the link on the mobile device to include a different port, say :8080. But yes just set up the routers to forward the requests for it to the internal ip address of the Hummy.

The only thing to be aware of is the security aspect, in that you would be exposing the Hummy to other external users should they find the ip address. I guess you could use the basic password set up on mongoose (the web server used by the webif) to add some security.

Well this old duffer seems to have accidentally got it right. Went into my router, set up port forwarding for HTTP on port 80 for 192.168.0.2 (my static Hummy address) As my 'Superhub' (i.e. includes the cable modem) also allows me to fix the WAN IP I've done that too. Hey presto, put in the external IP xx.xx.xx.xx/iphone and got the stripped-down interface for my HTC Desire. If you only want the full screen interface, forget the /iphone bit.

Port forwarding doesn't seem to work for me.

My D-Link router asks for 'source net'. I assume this is my external IP address. Also 'port from', is this port 80? It then wants the IP address to forward to, obviously my internal Hummy address and finally the port number to forward to.

I think the stumbling block for me is the 'port from' entry. How do I know which one?

edit: Glad you have got it working Chris. I am on 10Meg cable BB and only have VM's cable MODEM and my own D-Link DIR-825 router running dd-WRT firmware.

Sorry my post has wandered off topic.

I think it would be worth starting a new topic on this subject to make the information easier to access, refer back to the first post in this sub-thread from the new topic. I think I'll do it myself!

New topic HERE (click)

Yeah, done it myself many times. It's not exactly off-topic, but when a subject is worth indexing in its own right it needs its own title.

Self-Appointed Archivist

Version 0.0.2 is now available via the webif.

Changes:-

Merged N0w and Next pages into one
Added single channel list page - view channel listing one day at a time
View media file details
Update Scheduling functionality to reflect the latest change to the full webif
Updated home page

Back