mod: iPhone optimized web interface

Hi, I have just updated to 0.0.2-3 (which was not available when I first installed about 30 mins ago), and am still getting the runtime error.

Runtime Error: epg_serviceip.jim:25: invalid command name "" at file "epg_serviceip.jim", line 25

You mentioned earlier that the SCL is looking for BBC1, if this is the case, that may be the problem as I don't have BBC1 tuned into my box. I only have the four HD channels tuned in.

Hi, I have just updated to 0.0.2-3 (which was not available when I first installed about 30 mins ago), and am still getting the runtime error.

You mentioned earlier that the SCL is looking for BBC1, if this is the case, that may be the problem as I don't have BBC1 tuned into my box. I only have the four HD channels tuned in.

Ok, it will be to do with BBC1 not being there. I'll get my thinking cap on, already have an idea.

I have 0.0.2-3 loaded and on both my desktop and my Blackberry the now recording text is white on white and when you select a menu option the text disappears. Looks like there should be a background colour to the page but it is missing.

The stylesheets that the package uses are iPhone specific so no guaranties it will work on a blackberry or desktop I'm afraid.

I too have found when I 'try' the iPhone package on the desktop the colours aren't really suitable.

It's not a problem, I only ever used it on the PC when I was having specific problems. Now Tawny has sorted them, there is no longer any need to use it on the PC.

It is after all, designed for the iPhone. The colours do work well on that device.

It's not something that you can simple switch. You'd need to write your own package which used HTML & CSS that worked for all mobiles, though not an easy task due to the differences in the mobile operating systems.

I wrote this package specifically for the iPhone but by chance it also appears to work well on Android phones too.

Maybe worth creating a separate post to see if anyone has experience of optimising web sites for Blackberry and if they are willing to have a go.

It's not something that you can simple switch. You'd need to write your own package which used HTML & CSS that worked for all mobiles, though not an easy task due to the differences in the mobile operating systems.

I wrote this package specifically for the iPhone but by chance it also appears to work well on Android phones too.

Maybe worth creating a separate post to see if anyone has experience of optimising web sites for Blackberry and if they are willing to have a go.

Hi Tawny, I'm confused. What has the Operating System got to do with web pages. Does the iPhone have something missing or different in it's browser so you have to write special pages for it to work correctly?

Surely all you have to do is take af123's page code and change it so the information is restricted in width and the icons are smaller. The blackberry and my XDA which runs Windows Mobile display all the standard pages correctly apart from the header which comes out very narrow. You have to zoom in to see the details.

I'm used to writing websites in ASP.NET and PHP but I'll have a look to see how JIM works and see if I can mod af123's pages to make them show the info in a limited width.

As I say above I chose to optimise the original webif for the iPhone. That was done by a combination of applying specific CSS and rewriting the pages to produce an output that would fit the available space.

The is no reason you couldn't modify the webif pages to work for blackberry or all mobiles it's just that I choose to be very specific. As with all web development you have to factor in the differences between browsers and also the OS.

As I say above I chose to optimise the original webif for the iPhone. That was done by a combination of applying specific CSS and rewriting the pages to produce an output that would fit the available space.

The is no reason you couldn't modify the webif pages to work for blackberry or all mobiles it's just that I choose to be very specific. As with all web development you have to factor in the differences between browsers and also the OS.

I understand that. What screen size has the iPhone got?
I don't understand why a standard browser doesn't show your pages correctly. The header text is white on white. What colour is it on the iphone? If I can change the background colour so it shows correctly on a standard browser it would probably work fine on all mobile formats.

The screen resolution is 960 x 640. The header uses white text on a grey background, I've attached a screen shot.

The browser you are using probably doesn't support the CSS used for the background.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316209927.184459.jpg

I modified developer-style.css
.menu.hover { background:#058cf5;}
now gives me backgrounds to the menu items.

ok. You may need to make that change every time an update is released to the package and you update it. Also as I add more functionality might fine more bits that don't work fully on your device.

I've got a fix for this but just trying to put some other additions into the package so hope to have a update in next couple of days.

Back