[network-shares-automount] package released

Maybe it doesn't need the double underscore at the beginning? My problem is I can't seem to move the edit cursor back through what I've typed already, all I can do is delete everything and retype it just to remove the underscores (or the * in the case of the smb optional setups!!). I've tried the FF/RW buttons to see if they would move it but no luck :( Has anyone got a keyboard working on the Hummy yet????

I've had a go at setting this up both in the SMB and NFS folders. In both cases I've defined the folder as __LS-xxabc_share to replicate what I see it shared as in windows \\LS-xxabc\share but using the underscores as advised.

For smb, the folder should just be the "folder=share" - the \\LS-xxabc\ part is the machine name, which is covered by the IP address instead. (if your local dns is working ok I think you could even put in "ip=LS-xxabc" but personally I've never managed to get local name resolution working on my lan.

In the next version I've removed the comment about slashes from the smb folder name template - its only appropriate for nfs where you have to specify the full path of the share folder.

We also have this problem that is the mount fails, you'll be stuck until you reboot or delete the share folder, so watch out for that - its because its creating the share folder but not removing it - again hopefully will fix tonight.

I think you can just rename the folders in the webif if that is easier :)
Of course! DOH! It was in your original notes somewhere to use the webif. If you can't get a keyboard on the Hummy, then get the Hummy on something with a keyboard!! :oops:

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Sorry for the above message, but I have just been the victim of my own testing, and I don't want anybody to do the same

From Drutt's post above
We also have this problem that is the mount fails, you'll be stuck until you reboot or delete the share folder, so watch out for that - its because its creating the share folder but not removing it

While testing to get the mount to work, I was following the info in the above quote
When the mount failed, I would make changes to the SMB folder config and then delete the shared folder, and allowing the mount to be recreated using the new changes I had made

While I was doing all this, I must have inadvertently corrected the issue and the mount worked

BUT, I didn't realise that the mount had worked and I deleted the shared folder

Luckily my NAS is next to my PC and I heard the hard drives in the NAS suddenly go mental, and I quickly realised that by deleting the shared folder, it was actually deleting the files and folders on my NAS

I quickly pulled out the power cord to my switch, which stopped the HDR from accessing the NAS

Luckily I have a backup of my NAS, so I'm now copying the deleted files back, but in the 3 or 4 seconds that the deleting was going on, it removed over 50GB of files

Once it is all completed, I will investigate what I did to get the mount to work

So the morale of the story is:-

If the mount is created successfully, DO NOT deleted the shared folder or otherwise you will be deleting the files on your NAS

Is it possible to to have a message appear if you try to delete the shared folder that has been successfully mounted

Something like "If you deleted this folder, YOU WILL DELETE all the files and folder inside the folder"

Yikes - sorry about that! My fault - I think I told you to use rm -rf as I'm so used to doing that (-rf means recurse and force!) rmdir is what I should have said as that will not delete a non-empty directory. I'll edit my post to remove it!

[Edit] Nope, maybe I imagined it - how were you deleting the folder - from webif?

Right my mount is now working

Previously, any settings that I applied to my Synology folder (Workgroup, IP Address etc), would not creat the mount

I then created a new folder in SMB called test

I then entered all the same settings as I did for the Synology folder and it still didn't work

I then entered my workgroup name in to the domain setting and the "test" mount worked successfully, but it also automatically mounted my Synology folder even though I didn't change any of those setting

I have now removed the "test" mount and the folder inside SMB for the "test" folder, leaving the Synology one untouched

The Synology mount is now working successfully

Can someone explain this strange behaviour?

Yikes - sorry about that! My fault - I think I told you to use rm -rf as I'm so used to doing that (-rf means recurse and force!) rmdir is what I should have said as that will not delete a non-empty directory. I'll edit my post to remove it!

[Edit] Nope, maybe I imagined it - how were you deleting the folder - from webif?

Don't worry, everything is now back to normal - thank god for my backup

Yes from Webif using the OPT+

Yes from Webif using the OPT+

Just tried to delete a test share from webif, and it did what I hoped it would which was fail

"/media/compaq"...Directory...Runtime Error: delete.jim:56: error renaming "/media/compaq" to "/media/compaq_": Device or resource busy at file "delete.jim", line 56

It did then look like the directory was deleted, but was back when I refreshed. You're sure you actually lost files? Sounds like it if the hard disk was going for it...

Just tried to delete a test share from webif, and it did what I hoped it would which was fail

"/media/compaq"...Directory...Runtime Error: delete.jim:56: error renaming "/media/compaq" to "/media/compaq_": Device or resource busy at file "delete.jim", line 56

It did then look like the directory was deleted, but was back when I refreshed. You're sure you actually lost files? Sounds like it if the hard disk was going for it...

Yes, files were deleted, about 50GB

I've done another test

The video folder on my NAS was set to Read/Write access for the username that I used, and it allowed it to delete files - it even shows the message that you quoted, but still deletes the files

By setting the username to only have Read access, when I delete the folder, it does not delete the files - it still shows the message you quoted

Because I want to be able to copy recordings from the Hummy directly to the NAS, I think a way around this is to create two mounts

One called Synology with Read only access - this is what will be used to to access the NAS video files
and one called DO NOT DELETE with Read/Write access - so that I can copy recordings from the Hummy to the NAS

I have also found that if I want to mount a folder inside the video share e.g. video_test2, it does not create the mount - if i revert back to just video, it mounts OK

God I'm dull

I just tested my double mount to the video share mentioned in my previous post

Guess what I did

Yes instead of testing the deleting of the Synology folder which is set to Read only, I blindly deleted the DO_NOT_DELETE folder which is Read/Write, so I'm back to restoring my video files from my back up again - at least it only deleted 30GB this time

You would think that DO_NOT_DELETE would have given me an indication of what not to do - Doh!!

I can't seem to get this to work - getting "Permissin Denied" and the "Line 109 Rmdir:Not Found" same as previous posters etc.

I have a "video" folder in the root of my NAS (which is easily accessible from everything else on my network) and I have even tried making this share "public" to negate the pass/user login requirement - no show though?
I don't understand the extra double comma at the end of the line as in previous posts? I have tried with & without a suitable workgroup name as well as deleting those two items etc - no luck.
I have now, for the moment, removed the package (got a success message), deleted the "Mount" folder in "Media" but when I try and delete the "*Modsettings" folder (from Webif) I get an error and it reappears when I refresh the listing?

If I might suggest an improvement for the HDR - the "Mount" folder really needs to be created in "My Video" as at it's present location it is only viewable/navigable IF you also have an external USB drive connected and powered up?

I appreciate all the effort everyone has put in to make the HDR an infinitely more versatile machine than it is "stock" - I would love to get this particular "add-on" up and running because it would make the combination of HDR & NAS much more "seamless" and versatile - I could get full use from the 2Tb NAS !

Webif 0.9.0-1 Custom 1.17

I have now got my mount working perfectly, but to get it to work, even though i don't have a domain, I have to put my workgroup name in the domain settings

If I remove the workgroup name from the domain settings, it looses the mount

I'm very, very happy now, as this was the one thing that I wanted to do, to save me having to copy files back and forth

Thanks to Drutt for starting all this, and everybody else for helping me overcome my problems

Ah, that sounds cunning - that's what I call lateral thinking to actually try that and find it works! 10/10

Perhaps I had better re-install the package and try it again - have to wait a bit as it is recording a film and I don't want to cause any disasters!

@woodbar

Try putting your workgroup name in to the domain setting and ignore the workgroup settings - this worked for me

EDIT sorry, cross posted, wish there was a delete post button (just as long as it doesn't delete the files on my NAS of course)

OK - thanks anyway for the response.

Do I understand correct - edit the "Domain" to hold your workgroup name and leave the "Workgroup" with the * at the beginning, or delete it?

Yes edit the domain to hold your workgroup name

You can either leave it with the * or delete it, both still work for me

If I use the workgroup settings only, it does not mount

I now have two mounts, one with Read only called Synology which has the workgroup deleted, and the other with Read/Write called DO_NOT_DELETE with the * left in for the workgroup

You may have to experiment with either, as your system may work slightly different to mine

OK - I will try the various options, thanks.

At least it has given me something else to try - I was stonewalled earlier!

I will let it finish recording first though :)

Having read your earlier posts I appreciate the need for the DO_NOT_DELETE folder name - glad it wasn't me that found out the hard way - someone would NOT have been best pleased!

Seriously though it does need emphasising that IF you make your mount share Read/Write then be very careful before you press delete.

Back