[network-shares-automount] package released

Seriously though the [network-shares-automount] package needs a typical ModSettings recommendation & a warning about Decrypting in Wiki would be a good idea. The warning about correct Decrypting needs to be comprehensive as it can easily be mis-understood, because both Trajet & myself got it wrong. Didn't WE!:byebye:

Hi - maybe I have not followed the thread closely enough, but what are the problems with Decrypt ? I am using unencrypt package and unprotect - so far it all three (with network-shares-automount) are working ok - you got me worried now.......

Hi - maybe I have not followed the thread closely enough, but what are the problems with Decrypt ? I am using unencrypt package and unprotect - so far it all three (with network-shares-automount) are working ok - you got me worried now.......

There's no problem with Decrypt if you are viewing through the DNLA system, it all gets complicated (for me) when I wanted to use the full functions of the remote and therefore had to go down the route of samba, fts, cifs, quick pass me a paper bag, I'm having flashbacks. :eek:

Seriously though, if you read this thread from the start and follow all instructions carefully and ask if there is anything you don't understand all will be fine.

[What follows was posted in response to people reporting difficulty knowing what to put in the automount data fields. Newcomers to this topic should check out post #1.]

Since originally posted, developments (particularly to the samba package) have altered the details. Post last updated: 2020/02/25

USB-Style Auto-Mount Example

For the record, bearing in mind I have Samba* running on the HDR-FOX and I access it using auto-mount and CIFS* on the HD-FOX, my settings (on the HD-FOX - but the same works on another HDR-FOX) look like this:

(* - The samba package is installed on the HDR-FOX, and CIFS support is installed on the HD-FOX by installing the network-shares-automount package.)

Media - Video (select with the yellow button)
USB (select with the blue button - this would be "HDD" if the client is HDR-FOX)
drive1 (my Ext2 UPD containing the custom software - this would be the top level "My Video" if the client is HDR-FOX)
[ModSettings]​
smb​
HDR-FOX​
domain=Domain or Workgroup (leave as is)
folder=My Video (this is the "access point" to the remote device's media folders)
host=192_168_1_68 (the IP address for the HDR-FOX on my network)
mac=ABABABABABAB (leave as is)
password=Password (leave as is)
shareFolder=off (leave as is)
user=User (leave as is)
wakeConstantly? (leave as is)
wakeNow? (leave as is)

Note that only two parameters have to be changed to achieve a basic mount.

The result of this, as long as the HDR-FOX is booted, is an additional "drive" listed below drive1 (under Media >> Storage >> USB) called "HDR-FOX", which I can access using the handset to access the My Video folder on the HDR-FOX, with all the facilities of OPT+ etc as if I was doing it locally.

However, also for the record, although all the recordings become visible this way, they will not play unless they have been decrypted first. For the full gen on decryption, see Things Every... (click) section 5, and click through from there. Alternatively, use the CF facilities to change the encryption keys on the units to match each other: WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings (choose something like 32 "0"s). All existing recordings will need to have been decrypted prior to changing the key, if you want to keep access to them.

The updated version of the samba package makes all the "top level" folders (My Video, My Music, My Photo) available as mount folders, although only My Video is applicable for access to video recordings (Media >> Media >> Video). Any devices listed under Media >> Storage >> USB are also available as mounts, and they are updated dynamically as devices are plugged in or removed from the server. If desired, each can be given a separate entry under [ModSettings] >> smb. Alternatively, the master Media folder point is available (under which all the above are available as sub-folders in one mount). If you require this functionality, set "folder=Media".

Note that to make all this work, a real USB drive (UPD or HDD) must be fitted to the client unit. This is not an issue for HD-FOX (which requires a USB drive to be fitted in order to host the custom firmware), but catches out people trying this on an HDR-FOX. Alternatively, install the virtual-disk2 package on the client HDR-FOX (but this comes with its own set of problems).

Using HD-FOX as a Server

This did not used to be a practical proposition, because of the limited ability for HD-FOX to decrypt recordings (and therefore play those recordings on another unit via network share). However, facilities now exist in the CF to decrypt individual recordings without booting to HDR Mode (albeit slowly), or the encryption key for the client machine can be changed to match the server machine (or vice versa) - with the requirement that existing recordings will need to be decrypted before changing the key. A user key can be set using WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings (32 "0"s is a good choice), and note that this is imposed by the CF each boot so without the CF the unit reverts to its original key.

Details below were originally posted here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxlink-simple-way-to-link-a-hd-to-a-hdr.2974/post-138257

Using samba on the server HD-FOX with the default smb.conf (192,168.1.23 is the IP address of my server HD-FOX, not necessarily yours):

[ModSettings] >> smb >> <name_of_your_choice> >>
Code:
domain=Domain or Workgroup
folder=Media
host=192_168_1_23
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=Password
shareFolder=off
user=User
wakeConstantly?
wakeNow?

Or this works:
Code:
folder=drive1

But this doesn't:
Code:
folder=drive1_Video

("Media" corresponds with an explicit share in smb.conf, and "drive1" is an explicit share auto-generated in smb-hotplug.conf when an external drive is detected - which, in the case of a HD-FOX, is always.)

However, with the following added to smb.conf (on the server HD-FOX), folder=Video works:
Code:
[Video]
   comment = Video
   path = /media/drive1/Video
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browsable = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0755
   hide dot files = no

NB: I think "folder" is a misleading choice of term in [ModSettings] - the string here is not a folder name, but a share name explicitly configured in mod/etc/smb.conf masquerading as a folder name, and the actual folder is defined by the "path" string (in the definition in smb.conf).

Last edited:
Anyone know ho to stop and start network-shares manually ? I am messing with the scanmount script to personalise it, and can't restart it ?

Object:- To play recordings with full transport control (viz fast forward fast rewind etc.) from one Humax to another Humax through a [Shared] directory in My Videos.

Problems I faced:- 1. Did not fully understand the implementation of unencrypt, assumed because it was installed it unencrypted automatically, it doesn't if your humax is not switched on late at night, as mine wasn't.
2. Not understanding what needed entering in [Mod Settings] which resulted in not getting a [Shared] directory (this thread is very unclear on this issue)

Conclusions:-
How to setup [network-shares-automount] package on the Client (cifs) & Decrypt (unencrypt) the recordings on the Server (samba) for viewing between two Humax's in a [Shared] directory in My Videos, thereby getting full transport control during playback

Humax1. Install [network-shares-automount] package on the Humax you wish to see the recordings on (the client). The installation of [network-shares-automount] package automatically installs Cifs for you (Do not have Samba on this Humax). This installation gives you a [ModSettings] directory in 'My Videos'... Navigate down to the smb directory and modifiy the entries accordingly:-
[ModSettings]​
smb​
domain=MSHOME (enter your pc workgroup here)
folder=media
host=192_168_1_68 (the IP address for the HDR-FOX on your network)
mac=ABABABABABAB (Leave alone)
password=0000 (the Humax default password)
shareFolder=on
user=humaxftp
wakeUp=off (Leave alone)
For this method to work you must have a usb device plugged into either of the Humax1 or Humax2 or both (without this usb device your Shared directory is not populated with Humax2's videos).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Humax2 (this is the Humax which will have the actual recordings you wish to view on & played by Humax1). Install Samba, make sure Auto-unprotect & unencrypt are installed. (Do not have [network-shares-automount] package or Cifs on this Humax).
Decrypt manually each file with remote/web-if by pressing[OPT+] button and selecting Decrypt, or set-up unencrypt (see below).
n.b. "Decrypt" is a WebIF function and requires no specific installation other than to ensure auto-unprotect is running beforehand. The function is selected from the WebIF media browser on the OPT+ menu associated with each recording listed, but is not active unless the file is decryptable (hence the need for auto-unprotect).
"unencrypt" is an installable utility which automatically decrypts unprotected recordings, by default only in the night providing the Humax is booted and at a rate of 2 per hour (this can be changed).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edit] The [Share] directory has a warning do not delete! This equally applies to the [ModSettings] directory (can we have a similar warning to this directory in the [network-shares-automount] package please? Deleting [ModSettings] directory means you have to start again.
It is not possible for both Humax's to act as Client and Server. So you need to decide which direction suits you best, from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1, but not in both directions.
I think an entry like the above in the Wiki pages would be of great assistance. This is for a HDR - HDR. The HDR - HD case I cannot speak for but I cannot see why it should be any different, so long as full transport control is required from a [Shared ] directory in 'My Video'.
[Further Edit]
The USB scenario described by Black Hole so clearly above is a different case and should be treated as such, and gives different results. However doing it my way gives you Black Holes usb route as well. You access your videos either way with the same setting up proceedure. Black Holes method doesn't work for [Shared] in [My Video] route.

2.Install Samba, Auto-unprotect & Decrypt on the Humax

What exactly do you mean by this? "Decrypt" is a WebIF function and requires no specific installation other than to ensure auto-unprotect is running beforehand. The function is selected from the WebIF media browser on the OPT+ menu associated with each recording listed, but is not active unless the file is decryptable.

"unencrypt" is an installable utility which automatically decrypts unprotected recordings, by default only in the night providing the Humax is booted and at a rate of 2 per hour (this can be changed).

As far as the USB / My Video mount point is concerned (shareFolder=off or on respectively), are you a proponent for the My Video option because you have been unable to make the USB share work? Have you tried plugging in a USB stick/drive (client end)? The My Video mount is not preferred for the reasons I have explained.

Right - now in a position to start archiving off some ts and sidecar files to my PC share, but before I do so I'm wondering how this will affect any of the DB data ?

I can either use Windows file manager to move, or I can use webif - anything I ought to take note of ?

The database index sorts itself out, I don't worry about it. If you try to stream a programme that no longer exists you'll soon find out!

Copying a file (once decrypted) across the network can be done in three ways: FTP, File Manager, or WebIF download button (does not require prior decryption). The WebIF download is probably the quickest, but doesn't work for me (I could use the wget utility, but I'm lazy). File Manager is probably the next quickest. If you want to know what works best for you, try all three on the same data.

Moving is only a process of copying and then deleting.

Having said that, perhaps I should point out that the WebIF download will only capture the .ts and no sidecar files.

The database mainly governs the DLNA view of the Humax file system - client requests that arrive on port 9000 are served dynamically by consultation of the database and not by direct access to the file structure. When you browse "My Video" from a DLNA client, the list of files and folders you see are constructed from entries in the database and not the actual disk contents. This is why using wget (or other means) to pull down a file using the DLNA service you have to construct a query using the file's database index (number.ts) instead of the file name you read from the actual disk structure.

There are also file properties not held in the sidecar files - in particular "this is HiDef content so use HDCP when streamed", which is what auto-unprotect clears but Foxy/WebIF "Clear Enc" option does not.

Wow, bow scrape! Early morning as well :)

No problem then as I won't be streaming from the HDR - however as the unencrypt uses wget, am I thinking it will have to cycle through the now "missing "files ?

Or, as you did mention before, I should just leave it and the db will sort itself out after I have moved files.

Many thanks BH!

BH I have edited the points you wanted clarifying in post #248. Hope that is what you wanted? And thanx for your contribution. Anymore points anybody? (It is unlikely that this wording will suit everybody, but I've done my best.)
Further Edit to post#248 above
For this method to work you must have a usb device plugged into either of the Humax1 or Humax2 or both (without this usb device your Shared directory is not populated with Humax2's videos).

however as the unencrypt uses wget, am I thinking it will have to cycle through the now "missing "files ?

As I understand it, there is also a database entry which says whether the file is in an encrypted form or not (governing the hardware path a stream has to take on its way out), and unencrypt walks the database looking for candidate entries that are both unprotected and encrypted. Thus, even if it did come to a moribund entry for a file you had already moved, it wouldn't view it as a suitable candidate. You could confuse it by externally deleting a file, but I have no doubt it will just say "oops, this file doesn't seem to be there any more, let's move on".

If the database were to get in a real tangle (as has been reported on occasion), the solution is to turn off the DLNA server in the settings, delete the database file, then turn the server back on forcing the database to be reconstructed.

Completed some more tests and have added more to post#248 see below:

[Edit] The [Share] directory has a warning do not delete! This equally applies to the [ModSettings] directory (can we have a similar warning to this directory in the [network-shares-automount] package please? Deleting [ModSettings] directory means you have to start again.

Sorry to appear to keep picking holes, but as you are trying to come up with a definitive guide...

Problems I faced:- 1. Did not fully understand the implementation of decrypt, assumed because it was installed it decrypted automatically, it doesn't.

That mention of decrypt again, thought you would have cured it last time. unencrypt does decrypt automatically, you just have to give it the right conditions.

Really? As far as I know, you only need a real USB device plugged in to make simulated USB drives visible to the Humax operating system. The simulated USB devices are a virtual drive, or a network share that is mounted at the device level on the file system. As you are pursuing a mount under My Video (against my best advice, presumably because you didn't get the other to work or because you don't like pressing Blue and selecting USB), I see no need to insist on a physical USB drive. Unless you know different of course.

Decrypt manually each file with remote/web-if by pressing[OPT+] button and selecting Decrypt or set-up unencrypt (see below).

This would read better with a comma after "selecting Decrypt".

The USB scenario described by Black Hole so clearly above is a whole different case and should be treated as such. Different method giving different results.

It's a slightly different case, not a whole one. The only real differences are where the share gets mounted (and therefore how you access it), the fact that it needs a USB drive fitted to the client Humax, and that it is safer. The rest works just the same.

Completed some more tests and have revised post#248 see below:

It is not possible for both Humax's to act as Client and Server. So you need to decide which direction suits you best, from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1, but not in both directions.

It is possible to install these packages on both Humax1 & Humax2, it is even possible to setup a [Shared] directory on the second Humax and the video files to play appear in the Humax directory. But as soon as you try to play one both Humax's lockup and can only be restarted by switching off with power switch. This happens in either direction. I am not qualified to explain this but those with a more technical knowledge might be able to figure it out. I would be interested to hear there comments. It would be nice if it was possible for it to work in either direction. I stress this is only for the [network-shares-automount] and [Shared] option in My Video, not for playing via Blue button & USB storage.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as playing via the Blue button & USB storage route is concerned, I comment as such, I originally found it easy to setup and it worked first time and still does as Black Hole says above "The only real differences are where the share gets mounted (and therefore how you access it), the fact that it needs a USB drive fitted to the client Humax, and that it is safer. The rest works just the same." I'm sure he's right!
"The only thing is Black Hole" using my method in post#248 you most definately do need a usb device plugged in. Without one it does not work.
Let me qualify that.....NOT ON MY SETUP.......I've been proved wrong in the past about these things, but currently as setup a usb drive is required!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"unencrypt", I have revised my comments about Problems I faced inline with Black Holes explanation of how it works, hope I've got it right this time, haha thus:
Problems I faced:- 1. Did not fully understand the implementation of unencrypt, assumed because it was installed it unencrypted automatically, it doesn't if your humax is not switched on late at night, as mine never was.
2. Not understanding what needed entering in [Mod Settings] which resulted in not getting a [Shared] directory (this thread is very unclear on this issue)
----------------------------------------------
I have found it necessary to alter my [ModSetting] recomenations in Post#248,

During the above tests I made, I found it necessary to re-establish the [Shared] directory. During this exercise I noticed I had not recorded correctly in the Post#248 what I had found necessay to enter. Can I stress I found all these changes were required, I tried it by just changing one at a time and it didn't work until all the changes had been made.

Again hope all these comments are of use/interest to folks.

Thanx for your efforts Black Hole hopefully we got it right now.

Just for the record I would welcome your explanation re your comments "and that it is safer". Do you believe my method has inherent dangers, and if so we should include a warning in the Post#248, shouldn't we.

P.S. Oh yes you are picking holes, but that is what is wanted, I'm no expert, I'm like many if not most on this forum learning as I go along, that's why I'm here.

[Further Edit to Post#248]
The USB scenario described by Black Hole so clearly above is a different case and should be treated as such, and gives different results. However doing it my way gives you Black Holes usb route as well. You access your videos either way with the same setting up proceedure. Black Holes method doesn't work for [Shared] in [My Video] route.

P.P.S. Hope that's ok by you BH?

Back