[network-shares-automount] package released

@Mike Somers. Good that you have got your network shares working. On the HD-Fox you don't need to install virtual disk 2 (or virtual disk). As you always have a USB stick plugged in for the custom firmware the USB media is always accessible, including any network shares. Uninstall and you will get rid of that annoying screen after boot-up. Virtual disk is also unnecessary. If you install the bootHDR package you can enter HDR mode and decrypt recordings. In this mode the Video folder is mapped as if it were on an internal hard drive (/media/My Video) and if you copy to the virtual disk, using the remote control (Opt+ copy option), the file is decrypted. However, in addition to being mapped as an internal disk, the true mount persists: drive1 appears as a USB drive. So if you copy a programme from the 'HDD' to drive1, as above, it is decrypted. What I do is have a folder called Recordings on drive1 and if I have recorded a programme I wish to have available elsewhere, I boot into HDR mode and copy the programme to this folder, decrypting in the process. I also have the Recordings folder mapped using NSA so the contents can be played on my HDR-Foxes over the network.

I think I follow what you are saying. bootHDR allows an HD machine to decrypt files, but those files are recorded on the HD machine? As I am only running a 4gb UPD at the moment recording is probably not an option. If I change the UPD I will have to download Webif again? Presumably with bootHDR if I did record and decrypt that would be read by the other HDR units if I mounted the HD My Video as a NSA (sorry for the plethora of acronyms).

I wasn't thinking, decryption only works when you have a USB HDD attached. You can get recording to work on a USB pen drive but the minimum capacity is 32GB as the HD-Fox reserves 20GB for the time-shift buffer, even though time-shift recording does not work with a pen drive due to the drive access speed. I tried this out with a 64GB one, recording worked OK but it would not boot into HDR mode.

There's little point in recording with a HD-FOX when there are multiple HDR-FOXes in the household!
Your response is a little simplistic. Everyone will have a way of doing things that suits their needs. I mostly use my HDR-Foxes for recording, but sometimes I am in the room where the HD-FOX is and I see a film on Film4 or wherever and I record it there rather than go to the other end of the house and turn a HDR-FOX back on etc. Even decryption is not that onerous. If I do need to decrypt, I just boot into HDR mode: I can do this is a few seconds with the telnet app on my tablet, and then copy straight to a network drive with the remote.

Fair enough, but that does require configuring the HD-FOX for recording. Your way requires post-effort, mine requires pre-effort.

The option of recording with the HD Fox is something I will contemplate in the future. Either of the HDR Fox machines are relatively easy to access and I do have Digiguide on my PC and laptop. I have access to TV schedules (at this date) till 12th April so spontaneous decisions to record something are rare. As the HD Fox will be for the present sited in the kitchen it will be used for short term viewing although some of the internet radio stations look very interesting.
Many thanks for the assistance you have given me and it has been a useful learning process.

Mahaid
See details in PDF file "Network-Shares-Automount Settings". I think this will help you.

Attachments

• Network-Shares-Automount Settings.pdf
    112.6 KB · Views: 24
This is driving me mad. What am I doing wrong?
It looks like the root of the NAS drive '\\mylivebookduo' is shared as 'public' on the Windows PC. The log file shows that the Humax is looking for a folder called 'public' within '\\mylivebookduo'. I think you need to mount a folder at the level below the current one. I would try creating a folder called 'Recordings' or whatever on the NAS, check on the PC that this folder has the correct permissions and is recognised as a Samba mount-point then change the setting in the SMB config. file on the Humax to 'folder=Recordings' and see if this folder then mounts.

AFAIK I have done all that. Has anyone set up a foxsathdr share on hummy? The foxsat has tinyftp. Which folders in smb are needed? This share does not work either.
Mahaid
See details in PDF file "Network-Shares-Automount Settings". I think this will help you.

If you change the setting on the Humax to folder=shared videos that should so it.

Edit. It might be case sensitive, so change setting to folder=Shared Videos if it does not mount.

If you change the setting on the Humax to folder=shared videos that should so it.

Edit. It might be case sensitive, so change setting to folder=Shared Videos if it does not mount.

192.168.0.15 is on-line - attempting to mount nas
mount -t cifs //192.168.0.15/shared videos /media/nas -o user=admin,password=pass,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.0.15\shared videos
mount: mounting //192.168.0.15/shared videos on /media/nas failed: No such device
Mount failed...

Sorry, got called away. If you open Windows Explorer and click on network, you should see all shared folders on your network with their share names. Any folder that shows up here, you should be able to mount. I don't know much about NAS drives; they may just share the root as default. If your shared videos folder does not show up as a discrete mount-point under network, open your NAS drive on the Windows PC, right click on the shared videos folder and share it with full read/write/execute permissions. It should then show up under network, possibly after a slight delay.

I can't see shared videos in the left hand pane, but if it is like the 'shared pictures' folder it is not a discrete mount. (Edit: I can see it now, it is not a discrete mount point). You could try right clicking on the folder as I described in an earlier post, configure it as a share in its own right and try and mount it again. I am a bit confused now as from this it looks like the public folder is a mount point so I am not now sure why it did not mount when you tried before.

Back