New firmware available - with media server feature :)

Just a thought, but is it worth setting up a manual IP address on my Hummy and setting up a static route on my Netgear DG834G router?, maybe setting my Windows 7 PC to a static IP address also?

Funnily enough had a network problem this morning couldn't get my android to see the Hummy, I noticed the hummy had changed its ip address, as it will every day when first switched on, so In decided to give the Hummy a static address I think 192.168.1.50 away from all the other network devices, Works fine now, worth a try !!

Funnily enough had a network problem this morning couldn't get my android to see the Hummy, I noticed the hummy had changed its ip address, as it will every day when first switched on, so In decided to give the Hummy a static address I think 192.168.1.50 away from all the other network devices, Works fine now, worth a try !!

You could tell your DHCP server (usually in the router) to always give the Humax the same IP address. I once gave a device a fixed address, forgot all about it, changed the router, and ended up with a device that had an address that wasn't within my local network. You can also get address clashes if you use fixed allocations that your DHCP server doesn't know about. I've found it simplest to allow everything to use DHCP, and then tell the DHCP server to allocate the same address where appropriate. This also means if you change your DNS server or similar, you only have to do it in the DHCP server.

Far more elegant solution but to be honest, I just took the easy way out :cool:( I was going to say couldn't be arsed going in the router but I thought better keep it clean)

Nope, tried a static IP address on my Hummy, been into my Netgear router settings and allocated the Hummy a reserved address with a static route, double checked that UPnP is on, no clashes with any other devices, no luck. It should not be this difficult to set-up.

I give up:(

Thanks Framedtoo but I don't think it's a codec issue. I have already installed them with no luck.

I am convinced now that is a network issue somehow, Windows Media Player sees the Hummy and I can navigate to choose Video, Music, etc, and if I try to select 'All Video' then I get the error message 'The remote Media Library did not allow connections, please contact the device manufacturer' briefly followed by 'No files have been found on this remote library'. There isn't much to play with in terms of settings on the Hummy and have tried all of them and connected by Ethernet or Wirelessly with no difference.

My Windows 7 Media player will see Windows XP machines & vice versa no problem, the only device on my network that Windows 7 does not successfully stream with is my Hummy.:(

Perhaps not so much a network issue as a Windows issue. My laptop cannot see the Hummy when running Windows (Vista) but streams quite happily when I start it in Linux Mint. Same hardware, same network, different OS.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Homegroups on Win7 mess up networking. Could that be the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read on another forum that someone solved their Windows 7 playback problems by installing kpack lite codecs. I've never had win7 playback problems but there again I've got kpack codecs already installed . Worth a try if WMP doesn't play :)

Just read on another forum that someone solved their Windows 7 playback problems by installing kpack lite codecs. I've never had win7 playback problems but there again I've got kpack codecs already installed . Worth a try if WMP doesn't play :)

I was just going to ask which codecs it needs :)

Instead I'll ask these questions;

Is the WMP codec in the BASIC/STANDARD/FULL package ? The whole point of using WMP is so I can stream to all PCSs without having to install too much. My main PC will get the FULL package anyway ;)

I still cannot persuade VLC to SEE the Hummy. WMP can see it, and XBMC plays files briliantly - how do I get VLC to see it? Again, this will help avoid adding yet more software as all my PCs have VLC.
(BTW the Linux version of VLC found it straight away!)

And finally, I know I can't stream HD without fiddling, but when I've done the FOXY trick should I be able to stream it?
After I've done the FOXY trick I can play it on the Hummy, I can play it on the PC from the USB drive, I can even stream it from the PC back to the Hummy - but I can't see it to stream it from Hummy to PC. Any ideas?

Tim.C

Have you enabled uPnP streaming in VLC? Can't remember offhand exactly where it is but in Settings you go to All (or Advanced) and it's somewhere under Internet or Networking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you enabled uPnP streaming in VLC? Can't remember offhand exactly where it is but in Settings you go to All (or Advanced) and it's somewhere under Internet or Networking

Not anywhere I can find in the Windows version of VLC. It's not the same as the Linux version in all respects.

It's not in the current windows version. It'll be in 1.2 I think. It is in the nightly builds but they are not stable

It's not in the current windows version. It'll be in 1.2 I think. It is in the nightly builds but they are not stable

When is VLC 1.2 likely to be a stable release? I already have VLC installed and like it a lot, I don't really want to instal XBMC as well since it's pretty much duplicating most of VLC's functionality.

It's my understanding that you can't stream hd files even if you use foxy. I installed XBMC to see if that would do it and no it doesn't. I've now un-installed it even though it looks nice it give me no extra functionality over WMP also I find WMP easier to use. I know from experience that videos that would not play in WMP now play perfectly well ie mkv's after I installed the Klite codec pack. Only takes moments to install, try it !!

It's my understanding that you can't stream hd files even if you use foxy. I installed XBMC to see if that would do it and no it doesn't.

You need support for DTCP in your PC. It's not clear how to find out if any particular PC supports this, there are rumours that some Sony Vaios do.

Just a thought, but is it worth setting up a manual IP address on my Hummy and setting up a static route on my Netgear DG834G router?, maybe setting my Windows 7 PC to a static IP address also?

The Netgear DG834G allows you to set-up a DHCP Reservation, which effectively makes the IP address allocated to a device "sticky".

I installed klite codecs and I can play HD and SD from the hummy but no sound. Very strange. On HD there is no sound at all, clicking on the haali icon only shows a video stream. In SD, I hear every now and then a distorted noise for a fraction of a second. On SD, the haali icon does show an audio track and the FFA icon also comes into the tray.

Tried loads of things (e.g. reinstall, force 25 fps) but no luck

Strange ! Can you play with sound any other videos avi's or mkv's that happened to be already on your pc also maybe worth rebooting your pc. Looks like I was lucky no problems whatsoever -except can't play HD

Ah, that'll explain it then.

The location of the setting is Tools->Preferences, click the All radio button at the bottom left of the dialogue, then in the left pane Playlist->Services Discovery and in the right pane you'll see a set of checkboxes. On both the Mac and Linux versions of VLC there's a uPnP option. I've just installed VLC 1.1.11 on Win7 (running under VMWare Fusion on my Mac) and you are correct, it isn't there in the Windows version. Like others, VLC can't even see my Humax.

Odd that uPnP support is in the Linux and Mac versions but not Windows.

Back