New HDR-T2 - Software Version 1.03.06

Post 96 is not clear. It reads like the replacement you have recently received is on 1.03.06, having installed 1.01.09 and then 1.02.32 on a previous one. The usual reason to install 1.01.09 is to rescue recordings when the unit has got stuck in the delete loop, prior to loading a more recent firmware and then running a disk format. I took it that this did not solve your problem and hence received a replacement unit from Humax which is factory-fitted with 1.03.06.

There was no certainty that CF 2.18 for 1.02.32 is compatible with 1.03.06, and you took a risk by trying it. We know that not all HDR-FOXes fitted with 1.03.06 can be "downgraded" to 1.02.32, the speculation being that a hardware build change has necessitated revised firmware, and as we cannot predict which are OK and which are not, it is a risk to do so. Had anything gone wrong with installing CF 2.18 over 1.03.06, there would have been no way to fix it except hope that 1.02.32 installed OK.

Purchased a used T2 and have successfully loaded the CF but am having problems which I have posted in a seperate thread

The latest theory is that newer HDR-Fox T2's have a different hardware build i.e. a different tuner module, version 1.03.06 has been written to work with the new hardware but earlier versions have problems. The units with the new tuner module are labelled HDR Fox T2/GB/RE rather than HDR Fox T2/GB

The latest theory is that newer HDR-Fox T2's have a different hardware build i.e. a different tuner module, version 1.03.06 has been written to work with the new hardware but earlier versions have problems. The units with the new tuner module are labelled HDR Fox T2/RE rather than HDR Fox T2/GB
Ezra, my new one is labelled HDR-FOX T2/GB/RE, and the earlier versions are labelled HDR-FOX T2/GB.

Ah, O.K. thanks for that, I'll edit my post
BTW
Barry is saying that 1.03.06 was not produced to accommodate the new tuner

The units with the new tuner module are labelled HDR Fox T2/RE rather than HDR Fox T2/GB/RE
Post #103 is still wrong, the New versions are labelled HDR-FOX T2/GB/RE, and the earlier versions are labelled HDR-FOX T2/GB.

Barry is saying that 1.03.06 was not produced to accommodate the new tuner
Barry said "no" to the question "could it be that 1.03.06 was produced to accommodate this new tuner and that it is not compatible with the old tuner module?".
That is not the same as saying that 1.03.06 was not produced to accommodate the new tuner. Barry could have been saying "no" to you asking if it is not compatable with the old tuner module.

Barry said "no" to the question "could it be that 1.03.06 was produced to accommodate this new tuner and that it is not compatible with the old tuner module?".
That is not the same as saying that 1.03.06 was not produced to accommodate the new tuner. Barry could have been saying "no" to you asking if it is not compatable with the old tuner module.

I would have preferred a longer answer than just No, but I would say he's hiding something if the answer is really yes and no. Barry has a tendency to go very quiet when asked to expand an answer, so I'm not going to push it, maybe you could ask him

Just bought a T2 today, and after a bit of searching for info, ended up here wondering about trying to install the custom firmware.

My box has 1.03.06 and is labelled HDR Fox T2/GB/RE. To clarify what is in the posts above, does this mean I have one that would definitely stop working if I tried to downgrade to 1.02.32?

I still don't think it is 100% proved, BUT the best advice we have is not to try to downgrade at present, it looks like both new and old tuner HDR types identify themselves with the same product code, but it is still possible that a future release could detect which tuner is fitted and talk to each in a different way. Some users say downgrading 'bricks' their HDR i.e. stops it functioning completely, but there are also reports of some disruption to an otherwise working HDR. It is not definite that downgrading will stop your HDR working but there is a good possibility that it will

Just bought a T2 today, and after a bit of searching for info, ended up here wondering about trying to install the custom firmware.

My box has 1.03.06 and is labelled HDR Fox T2/GB/RE. To clarify what is in the posts above, does this mean I have one that would definitely stop working if I tried to downgrade to 1.02.32?
Your box has the latest software, which is not yet available for download, and the 'RE' code means it has the new tuner hardware. There is a real risk of bricking the unit by downgrading to 1.02.32, with or without custom firmware so I would not attempt it. See the advice in the wiki:http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Customised_Firmware_Release_Notes

I have no idea, I don't think anyone has tried to downgrade a /RE model yet. Here's a summary as I understand it.
  • There are now two HDR-Fox T2 models (original and /RE).
  • The original model appears to have two independent tuner modules linked together;
  • The /RE model has a single dual tuner module;
  • The /RE model has an updated Micom firmware (12.1 versus 9.3);
  • Software version 1.03.06 has been seen on both model types including graded original models from Humaxdirect;
  • It has been reported by deezel that downgrading two separate original units from 1.03.06 to 1.02.32 broke them so that they could not tune into anything;
  • This has been confirmed by zyee123 on a separate unit;
  • It has been reported by Mike Somers that downgrading an original unit from 1.03.06 to 1.02.32 worked fine;
  • It has been reported by Wallace that downgrading an original unit from 1.03.06 to 1.02.32 initially appeared to work fine but he now experiences apparent tuner problems where the picture disappears and is replaced by an on-screen message stating 'scrambled channel or no signal received'. Also, this does not happen whilst static on a channel, only when the channel is changed. This is only cured by a power cycle;
  • Humax have not released 1.03.06 as a download so there is no customised firmware based on it.
Please feel free to correct anything that isn't right. I'll add references as links as I find them.

I don't think there's any reason to suspect that downgrading a /RE model would break it but you would do it at your own risk. After all, if you went to Humax's web site and downloaded the latest software and installed it, you wouldn't be doing anything out of warranty. There are good reasons that some people choose to stay on version 1.02.20 - you could be one of those and there's nothing on Humax's web site that says you shouldn't do it. If there was a hardware incompatibility then I would have expected Humax to change the system ID.

If there was a hardware incompatibility then I would have expected Humax to change the system ID.
Would expect, yes, but the sensible thing doesn't always happen. I frequent a software support forum, and the company concerned updated a build without changing the build number (doh!).

In my opinion, the key to this is that we currently have no way to restore a 1.03.06 unit to the original state should it become necessary to do so, for whatever reason. I don't like going through one-way doors.

I don't get 'picture breakup', simply no picture at all, just an on-screen message stating 'scrambled channel or no signal received'. Also, this does not happen whilst static on a channel, only when I actually change the channel. This is only cured by a power cycle.

I used to have other devices fed from the RF output of the offending HDR. The signal to them also died in sympathy with the on-screen message. My set up is no longer cabled that way. Each device has its own feed from an aerial amp/splitter so this should not happen again.

EDIT: This unit is classed as my 'spare' and is not permanently in use. Last Sunday I did set it up temporarily. Trying to make it fail. Changing channels back and forth, even setting multiple timer recordings over several MUXs with overlapping start/stop times. The little bugger did the lot without a hitch! It's now running 1.02.32 with 2.19.

I don't get 'picture breakup', simply no picture at all, just an on-screen message stating 'scrambled channel or no signal received'. Also, this does not happen whilst static on a channel, only when I actually change the channel. This is only cured by a power cycle.
Thanks - wording updated.

This may sound silly, but do you think it is possible that the problems some people are having could just be a coincidence or a faulty batch of boxes rather than due to the 'new' firmware? Perhaps even a'bad flash'. Nobody wants one of those...:)

So it seems that 1.03.06 works with both the old hardware and with the new RE version with the digital tuner. It's an experiment that can't be done at the moment, but if an older HDR were updated to 1.03.06 and then downgraded to 1.02.32 would this really stop the tuners from working? Could there be another component change in some of the later 'old hardware' HDRs that we don't know about that is causing the problem or is there some unholy trinity of a particular loader, software/ firmware and Micom version that causes a problem? I'm not from a software background, so excuse me if the latter suggestion is ridiculous.

Back