[nicesplice]+[nicesplice-magic-folders] On box video editing

Ahha; sorry, I hadn't realised, but by implication, does NiceSplice not work on the FoxSat?

You can't mix and match. The Foxsat is much less powerful, and the software has to be specifically prepared for one or the other.

Everything posted above will have been on the assumption you were talking about HDR-FOX custom firmware, and none of it is relevant to Foxsat.

Hi just seen this and tried to have a play with it but on webif I select media then the file I want to work with pressing the red button then I select opt and the menu window appears but I can’t select it

Hi just seen this and tried to have a play with it but on webif I select media then the file I want to work with pressing the red button then I select opt and the menu window appears but I can’t select it
Cropping a file requires bookmarks to be set at the start &/or end of the parts you want to keep so the option is not selectable if you don't have any bookmarks set.
DetectAds and ARbookmarks are two tools that will automatically create bookmarks otherwise you need to set them manually

Splicing files together requires two or more files to be selected before the Join button is enabled

ARbookmarks just bookmarks the Accurate recording points at the beginning and end or programmes and is really only of use if you use padding while detectads attempts to detect each of the adbreaks within a programme and can optionally crop them out using a version of nicesplice.

I routinely run with autocropping but others are less tolerant of the occasional misdetect and just use the bookmark button on the remote to skip the ads.

Thanks for the quick reply of the two tools you mention can you recommend one over the other ?
They do different jobs, so it depends what you want to do. Read up on them! The crop function is not dependent on either, it just needs some bookmarks to define the crop start and end points - how the bookmarks get there is up to you.

Hi all.

I'm not going to read all 12 pages just to find a (hopefully) simple answer to my question, so apologies i advance.

There's a feature in this package called "[make copy]" ....my question is, will this also decrypt the recording afterwards? - ie. the 'done' file is not only stripped ('stripts' as seen in webif, and supposingly saving 20% of file space!), but also free of encryption?

If yes, i'm assuming it will decrypt SD and HD recordings yes?

I'm hoping it may be quicker (or better) than either 'decrypt on the fly' which is a pain to use as every remote control function is massively delayed, and may (or may not) put extra strain on the hummy machine/processor/cpu or whatever it's called - OR quicker/better than copying to the 'Virtual-USB' to decrypt, and then coping back to the HDD 'Video' ready to be exported to a usb hdd, as and when required - as currently, you can't copy from 'virtual' to 'external usb' for some strange reason!

Anyone else have any opinions on the quickest way to decrypt and or copy to a usb hdd? - at my last check, a 1hr HD recording takes about 12 min to copy/decrypt to my external usb hdd.

An equivalent SD recording is about 5-6 min.

NOTE: i've got approx 500GB to copy/decrypt before my hummy dies soon!

thanks

Last edited:
Talk about a scatter gun approach.:frantic:
It's only telly and there are numerous repeats of most stuff anyway.:(

Feature request: when cropping, place a bookmark at the start of each saved section (end of each cropped section). This may have to be an option so as to preserve previous behaviour, but I see no disadvantage in having the bookmarks there.

Section bookmarks would provide a means to skip to "chapters", something sorely lacking compared with DVD playback. If the cropping is the result of ad-detection, the chapters will have been identified by the programme makers deciding where to have the ad breaks. If the cropping is the result of the user picking out highlights, again the chapter markers will be appropriate.

I should point out that frame accurate editing is not really possible anyway, as nicesplice will adjust the cut points to the nearest I-frame to try and minimise picture corruption. These are usually every second or so, but they are often also on significant scene changes, which is usually where you want to cut :) There often is still a few frames corruption just before a cut which I need to investigate sometime, but locking to I-frames keeps it clean at the start of a new section at least.
It seems to me that to ensure not losing anything wanted between the bookmark and the I-frame, the end of a removed section should use the I-frame before the bookmark, and the end of a kept section should use the I-frame after.

Does it in fact do this, or is it the I-frame after each time?

It seems to me that to ensure not losing anything wanted between the bookmark and the I-frame, the end of a removed section should use the I-frame before the bookmark, and the end of a kept section should use the I-frame after.

Does it in fact do this, or is it the I-frame after each time?
It is a while since I looked at the code but I think it does do this

Been doing some more cropping, and I note there is picture breakup around the cut point (I'm using HiDef), so the cropping seems not to be picking an I-Frame as intended.

I've also been thinking: @/df reports that it is not impossible to decode video, so actually there's little to prevent the splicer decoding the section between I-Frames and splicing anywhere without breakup (maybe as a "slow" option, once the workload has been pushed onto the queue rather than having to leave the browser open).

Ditto the audio.

Back