[nicesplice]+[nicesplice-magic-folders] On box video editing

Not wanting to criticise or be unnecessarily picky, but since "firmware" is what gets burned into ROM (even if some kind of erasable EEPROM), it is only really the custom boot code that can be described as CF. That's why I refer to it as the MSP (particularly the bulk which loads from disk).

Take it up with the author of the Custom Firmware Package (af123), It’s certainly not for me to tell him what to call it, I guess when we are capable of writing something like his package, That’s when we get to choose It’s title

I was just thinking that if you had used just over 25% you would get a darker blue wedge, This PHOTO is the right one again photo-shopped (very badly) to show what 30% usage would look like, There obviously would be no wedge below 25% useage
If you refer back to my original previous posts on the subject, you will see my usage was 24%.
I have boosted my usage overnight to 29% and I do see the shadow you mention, although on my TV it is the same darker blue as my wedge. It would make it impossible to distinguish between the two.
I have overlaid the pie chart with a tracing of 120 degs and it matches. However doing the same to the chart in Webif and RF the sector is short of 120 degs by the amount of my wedge.

Edited 120 degs for 30% in two places.

Pie chart on TV dropped back and now matches Webif. I am recording during this check.

I don't think we will solve this mystery so I think we ought to close the subject as we seem to have hijacked Drutt's thread.

My apologies Drutt. Is was not my intention to to divert attention away from your excellent project.

Sorry Drutt, but just to draw a line under this debate about the colour of the pie chart. If you point your browser to 192.168.0.5/img.html (substituting your own boxes I.P. address of course) you will be presented with a page containing of all of the images used in the T2's GUI. From this you can plainly see that the lower half of the pie chart is darker than the upper half.

I hadn't used the bookmark feature before, did notice the bookmark could only be applied when playing, not when paused. Therefore it isn't possible to be frame accurate.
An acceptable level of frame accuracy can be obtained by using a combination of slow play, pause and play buttons. Once cued up to the cut point in slow play, and paused, pressing play and almost simultaneously the bookmark button is a method I have used.
The bookmark can be removed if is not quite right and tried again until it is acceptable to you.

An acceptable level of frame accuracy can be obtained by using a combination of slow play, pause and play buttons. Once cued up to the cut point in slow play, and paused, pressing play and almost simultaneously the bookmark button is a method I have used.
The bookmark can be removed if is not quite right and tried again until it is acceptable to you.

Thanx for that. I have a Pioneer DvD HD recorder which has full frame editing, which has obviously spoilt me, will have to use your suggested method.

I should point out that frame accurate editing is not really possible anyway, as nicesplice will adjust the cut points to the nearest I-frame to try and minimise picture corruption. These are usually every second or so, but they are often also on significant scene changes, which is usually where you want to cut :) There often is still a few frames corruption just before a cut which I need to investigate sometime, but locking to I-frames keeps it clean at the start of a new section at least.

@Drutt, i've noticed that occasionally after a cut, the sound cuts out for a second or so.
Is this related to the corruption you speak about above?

As I only have information about the position of video frames, I suspect the audio stream sometimes just gets cut in a way that takes it a little time to pick up. Not a lot I can do but we are lucky it does sort itself out - Its good that a transport stream player has to be quite robust to cope with signal problems ;)

Hi Drutt. I tried this out at the weekend and it works brilliantly, so many thanks for your efforts. While I was experimenting, I tried recording two different channels simultaneously and then joining the recordings together. The join seemed to work and the recording length show was the sum of the two parts, however when I tried to play it back the first 'part' played OK, but then playback just stopped when it got to the 'join', as if it had reached the end of the recording. Same thing happened when I tried to join two non-overlapping recordings from different channels. Do you know why this would be? I'm guessing it's a change in bitrate or something, or possibly the fact that the channels I used (Film4 and QVC) are on different multiplexes. Please note this isn't a grumble about the fact it can't do this, I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to be able to do this. It's more just geeky curiosity!! ;-)

It's a known issue - af123 had a suggestion earlier in this thread

I suspect you need to update the TEI/PUS/PRI information in one file to match the other if the two channels are different. At least that information is in the clear even in encrypted files so it should be possible.
At some point I'll look into it, but as you say hopefully not much demand for joining programs from different channels. Getting it working for hi-def will be the next thing to look at when I have time ;)

I have just finished recording The Abu Dhabi GrandPrix. It has been placed in a folder with yesterday's practice. Both have the same name and time stamp 12:18.
I have played today's recording up to the start of the race and bookmarked it with a view to crop the lead up, but when I go to Webif Opt+ the crop function is greyed out. Is this the same problem reported earlier?

Did you record it in HD? Only SD files can be cropped at present.

Drutt has just pushed out an update to his superb nicesplice package to add support for HD files!

I've done a fair bit of testing with it and it has worked perfectly for me.

If you update the webif to 0.8.2 then it will allow you to crop HD files through the interface (as long as you have also separately updated nicesplice)

Just completed an HD edit. Took 4 mins 32 secs to complete.

Excellent work Drutt. Things keep getting better and better!

Back